PDA

View Full Version : i just experienced the best string job EVER tonight

Matt H.
02-19-2004, 09:26 PM
the combo is nothing new among this board, but i have to throw my experience out here.

I'm playing a tournament at my school right now, so i splurged and bought a pack of gut.

I used Babolat VS gut 17g strung at #63 in the mains, and Gosen OG Micro 17g strung at #62 in the crosses in my Wilson hyper prostaff 5.0

The 5.0 is a fairly stiff frame, but this string hybrid made it the most perfect racquet i've ever hit. Plenty of power to crush the groundstrokes and first serves, and the feeling i got on impact was just amazing.

an all Gosen job is very nice too, but throwing some VS gut into it is heavenly.

bcaz
02-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Congrats, Matt. That sounds like a sweet set-up, similar to the one I have in one of my sticks right now. Enjoy it, but don't be shy about trying other options.

BC

Matt H.
02-19-2004, 11:06 PM
my biggest problem is that i'm not shy at all. I've tried countless amounts of string. Multi's, synthetic gut, poly hybrids, you name it.

I've "sown my wild oats" sorta speak, and finally just bought a reel of the OG Micro. There really isn't any place to buy string up at school, besides the basic choices that are marked-up big time, so i've had to order through online for the past 2 and a half years. I got tired of waiting for string in the mail, and the shipping charges start to add up a lot. :oops:

bcaz
02-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Mattt:

Given that you have lots of experience trying differnt strings, the only other suggestion I'd offer is to be patient. You seem to like the hybrid you tried a lot. I'd suggest other nat guts for the mains that are less expensive than the Bab VS. TW offers many options. Search the archives on these (old) boards. You are on to a good thing with the Gosen. I've used it in a hybrid, and I'm sure it would play pretty well by itself.

BC

HeavyBall
02-21-2004, 12:08 PM
I feel like the more lively the cross string is, the closer the hybrid comes to a full gut job. Get a set of JC Micro 17. Much better than the OG.