PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio/Houston 10/7-10/14

goober
10-03-2006, 06:13 AM
I am going to be in San Antonio and Houston, probably for about 3-4 days each next week. I am trying to decide if I should bring a racquet or not. Does anybody have an interest in hitting? I will play with anybody 3.5-4.5 (well actually I will play with you if you are higher than 4.5 but you probably won't want to play with me:))

BiGGieStuFF
10-03-2006, 06:46 AM
when will you be in Houston and what part? I don't mind hitting with ya. I'd do this because i'd like the same if I were to go to another city. Some people in Long Beach just can't make the time for me. J/K :)

Geezer Guy
10-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Don't know how much time you'll have on your hands, but you could always stop in at Newk's for either an afternoon or morning session. It's about 15 miles north of San Antonio on I-35.

They have the Legends week October 15-20, I think, and will surely be full up THAT week, but I'm sure they could work you in the week before.

goober
10-05-2006, 10:46 PM
when will you be in Houston and what part? I don't mind hitting with ya. I'd do this because i'd like the same if I were to go to another city. Some people in Long Beach just can't make the time for me. J/K :)

I will probably be in Houston next week Wednesday through Friday. I think the place is near a subdivision called Royal Oaks- 10 minutes from the chinatown area. Ring a bell?

BiGGieStuFF
10-05-2006, 10:48 PM
I will probably be in Houston next week Wednesday through Friday. I think the place is near a subdivision called Royal Oaks- 10 minutes from the chinatown area. Ring a bell?

I think i know where that is. Not far from where I'm at. I get off at 3 everyday so pick a day you want to hit and i'll keep it open.

goober
10-05-2006, 11:27 PM
I think i know where that is. Not far from where I'm at. I get off at 3 everyday so pick a day you want to hit and i'll keep it open.

I have no idea what my schedule is going to be like. But send me your email and phone number.

BiGGieStuFF
10-05-2006, 11:38 PM
I have no idea what my schedule is going to be like. But send me your email and phone number.

Will do. What are you doing in Houston anyway?

goober
10-06-2006, 06:40 AM
Will do. What are you doing in Houston anyway?

Visiting relatives- bro in law.

I will probably want to play I am guessing before dinner. Are there any decent courts there? I will cover court costs if you bring the balls. I am only probably going to bring one racquet.

BTW how old are you? If you are in high school I will be close to twice your age. Hope you don't mind playing with a geezer :)

BiGGieStuFF
10-06-2006, 06:44 AM
Visiting relatives- bro in law.

I will probably want to play I am guessing before dinner. Are there any decent courts there? I will cover court costs if you bring the balls. I am only probably going to bring one racquet.

BTW how old are you? If you are in high school I will be close to twice your age. Hope you don't mind playing with a geezer :)

Then we're probably close to the same age. I'm 30. Email me the exact location and I can figure out where the closest courts are.

goober
10-06-2006, 07:08 AM
Then we're probably close to the same age. I'm 30. Email me the exact location and I can figure out where the closest courts are.

Ok I will get the address later on today.

BiGGieStuFF
10-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Any other old fogie houstonians want to get in on the fun?

varuscelli
10-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Any other old fogie houstonians want to get in on the fun?

I'd love to be able to join you guys, but I'm working my way through a calf injury. I'm guessing I've got at least two more weeks before I can even try to play again (maybe longer). :mad:

But since I'm in League City (about 20-25 minutes from downtown Houston), maybe you and I can hit sometime, BiGGieStuFF.

Locally, I play a lot at the South Shore Harbour Fitness Center (nice courts outdoors and indoors --free outdoors with membership, which I have, but expensive indoors even for members). I also use the Clear Creek High School courts when the students aren't using them, and play at another couple of places in the Clear Lake area. My local public courts (the only ones I can think of) are at Walter Hall Park in League City, and they're like playing on the surface of the moon with all the cracks, craters, and fissures. There are only two courts at that park, but oddly enough they have lights available for night play.

I'm also happy to travel into Houston and try new courts. Singles or doubles are both fine. I'm 4.0-ish level (with a bit of my game over and a bit under, depending on who you ask).

I'm 49 (as of today) and currently have to play with a cane in one hand, racquet in the other. (Kidding! Or am I? :p )

BiGGieStuFF
10-06-2006, 10:37 AM
I'd love to be able to join you guys, but I'm working my way through a calf injury. I'm guessing I've got at least two more weeks before I can even try to play again (maybe longer). :mad:

But since I'm in League City (about 20-25 minutes from downtown Houston), maybe you and I can hit sometime, BiGGieStuFF.

Locally, I play a lot at the South Shore Harbour Fitness Center (nice courts outdoors and indoors --free outdoors with membership, which I have, but expensive indoors even for members). I also use the Clear Creek High School courts when the students aren't using them, and play at another couple of places in the Clear Lake area. My local public courts (the only ones I can think of) are at Walter Hall Park in League City, and they're like playing on the surface of the moon with all the cracks, craters, and fissures. There are only two courts at that park, but oddly enough they have lights available for night play.

I'm also happy to travel into Houston and try new courts. Singles or doubles are both fine. I'm 4.0-ish level (with a bit of my game over and a bit under, depending on who you ask).

I'm 49 (as of today) and currently have to play with a cane in one hand, racquet in the other. (Kidding! Or am I? :p )

I'm always up for playing new people. I live towards the SW side of town. beltway and w.airport area. Quite a gap but we could always meet somewhere in the middle. UH courts are pretty well kept and they don't give anyone problems playing there. they have 4 lit courts and I believe 5 more that aren't.

Or we could do one month I come to you and one month you come to me. Doesn't matter to me. Just shoot me an email after you get back from the disabled list :)

varuscelli
10-06-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm always up for playing new people. I live towards the SW side of town. beltway and w.airport area. Quite a gap but we could always meet somewhere in the middle. UH courts are pretty well kept and they don't give anyone problems playing there. they have 4 lit courts and I believe 5 more that aren't.

Or we could do one month I come to you and one month you come to me. Doesn't matter to me. Just shoot me an email after you get back from the disabled list :)

Great!

But I'll make sure I'm to the point where I can make it worth playing, so you don't have to take it easy on a gimpy opponent. I want to make sure I'm ready to go as close to full-speed as I can without chancing re-injury due to impatience. Might be next month, but I'll get in touch. And UH campus courts might be a workable option, too.

It's always worth a shot to hit with someone new, in any case. It if works out, we can always give it another try.

I used to have a list of about 50 names and numbers of local tennis players for singles and doubles, so there wasn't a playable day (weather-wise) that went by that I couldn't get out on the courts with someone. I'm in the middle of rebuilding that list now. ;)

And sorry, goober, not trying to hijack the thread. :)

goober
10-07-2006, 06:25 AM
I emailed you the info Biggie. I will probably have limited or no internet access till I am in Houston.

BiGGieStuFF
10-07-2006, 08:35 AM
I emailed you the info Biggie. I will probably have limited or no internet access till I am in Houston.

okay I got the address. I know where that is. It's pretty close to our tennis specialty shop and the westside tennis center where the masters were played. Of course we can't play there because I don't have a membership but I know of some courts around that area we can hit at. I'll email you my number and call me when you get into town and we can decide on a day..

varuscelli
10-07-2006, 08:45 AM
okay I got the address. I know where that is. It's pretty close to our tennis specialty shop and the westside tennis center where the masters were played. Of course we can't play there because I don't have a membership <snip>...

Sneak in, man! They've got clay, they've got grass, they've got hard courts.

Or, buy something from Mattress Mac on the contingency that you get a couple of hours of court time at Westside to go with your purchase. ;)

(For you people from other parts of the country, sorry about the obscure "Mattress Mac" reference. But BiGGieStuFF will know what I'm talking about.)

BiGGieStuFF
10-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Sneak in, man! They've got clay, they've got grass, they've got hard courts.

Or, buy something from Mattress Mac on the contingency that you get a couple of hours of court time at Westside to go with your purchase. ;)

(For you people from other parts of the country, sorry about the obscure "Mattress Mac" reference. But BiGGieStuFF will know what I'm talking about.)

Yeah I'm down with sneaking in if Goober is. It's actually pretty easy. The lot where you park is directly where the courts are. So all we would need to do basically is walk right in. I played there last week with a member and they didn't even charge me a guest fee and he didn't even tell them he had a guest. So it's up to goober. Worst they could do is arrest us for trespassing hahahaha ;).

varuscelli
10-07-2006, 09:57 AM
So it's up to goober. Worst they could do is arrest us for trespassing hahahaha ;).

Plus, it would make a great follow-up post. :p

goober
10-07-2006, 10:57 AM
So it's up to goober. Worst they could do is arrest us for trespassing hahahaha ;).

If we get caught I will throw up my hands in digust, "You told me you were a member! I thought I knew you man. I guess you are just another punk wannabee. Can't trust anybody these days. Uh can I go now?"

:D