PDA

View Full Version : Grommet help!

TonyB
10-03-2006, 08:13 AM
I have an old model Yonex RQ-120 (90 sq. in.) that needs to have the grommets (especially the head bumper) replaced. Unfortunately, there is nothing available anywhere to fit that specific model.

I love the racquet and have not found a replacement that matches it yet. After restringing the racquet a few times with poly strings, I've noticed that some significant grooves have been worn into the grommets, especially through the holes that carry 2 strings.

I really want to find a suitable grommet, and I have emailed Yonex to see if they can help. But I have not heard back yet and it's been nearly a week. Does anyone know of any other grommets that would fit this racquet? Or is there a way that I can determine for myself whether or not a grommet will fit (i.e., maybe one for the RDS-001, RDX 500, Ti-series, etc. will fit)??

I don't want to go out and buy one of each kind of grommet just to see if they fit. Is there another way? I was actually thinking of buying a grommet to fit a larger headsize (like a 100+), then cutting it between those grommets that have too wide of a spacing between them. So, I'd have lots of smaller grommet "pieces" that would fit together around the frame.

Has anyone done anything like this, or found a way to substitute one grommet for another?

sloe_torture
10-03-2006, 10:52 AM
You might want to check the auction site that starts with 'e' and rhymes with 'Bay.' I've seen a set for the RQ-180's in passing and they might fit the 120s. Good luck.

sloe_torture
10-03-2006, 11:00 AM
TonyB, I remember from a previous thread that you recently used the R-22. Can you tell me what replacement grommets you have been using and where you've found them? Thanks.

jack mckinney
10-03-2006, 11:06 AM
you might try tennis******.com

Ripper
10-03-2006, 12:14 PM
you might try tennis******.com

m-e-n-a-c-e?

TonyB
10-03-2006, 02:17 PM
TonyB, I remember from a previous thread that you recently used the R-22. Can you tell me what replacement grommets you have been using and where you've found them? Thanks.

I haven't replaced the grommets in my R-22. They're still in pretty good shape.

However, if I ever *do* have to replace them, I'm sure I'll run into the same problem. But they are not strips, but instead they are individual grommets, which should be compatible with the individual replacement grommets that TW sells.

Any other suggestions??