PDA

View Full Version : Mini Review of Gosen Polylon SP 17

jonolau
10-03-2006, 09:11 AM
This is a great string to play with. I have strung both my Dunlop M-Fil 300s with this, one as a hybrid with Babolat Super Fine Play 17, the other with a full poly job, and have also compared this with TF Redcode and SPPP hybrid and full).

The Gosen PSP is a surprising soft poly to play with. It gives a tremendous amount of power and control on serves and groundstrokes. Spin generation on slices is also amazing. What really swung me over to this string is the comfort level - it doesn't feel harsh for a poly, and has good elasticity. The strings also don't move around much which is great as I dislike having to readjust strings.

The best part is, this is a highly affordable and durable polyester compared to SPPP and TF Redcode.

If you've always wanted to try a full poly setup but have been concerned about harshness and a lack of feel, it's time to give the Gosen Polylon SP a second look.

TonyB
10-03-2006, 09:23 AM
How would you rate the comfort level as compared with the SPPP?

Also, I'm sure tension stability is a big factor in differentiating between polys. I'd be curious to hear how the tension stability rates compared to SPPP (which is supposed to rate very high in that category).

It also sounds like it's more powerful than SPPP... that might be a turnoff for me, since I prefer to string my racquets fairly low. Even the SPPP seemed a bit overpowered once the tension dropped after an hour or so of hard hitting, just when I was really starting to get into a groove with the feel of the string.

Midlife crisis
10-03-2006, 09:38 AM
How would you rate the comfort level as compared with the SPPP?

My son uses Polyon SP, and I use SPPP. I've strung up Polyon SP once on my primary racquet. They're both pretty equal strings. The SP may be a little softer, and possibly a little more powerful as a result. Tension holding is about the same, maybe a little better with the SPPP. Durability is better with the SPPP. Spin production seems better with the SPPP.

SteveI
10-04-2006, 02:35 AM
This is a great string to play with. I have strung both my Dunlop M-Fil 300s with this, one as a hybrid with Babolat Super Fine Play 17, the other with a full poly job, and have also compared this with TF Redcode and SPPP hybrid and full).

The Gosen PSP is a surprising soft poly to play with. It gives a tremendous amount of power and control on serves and groundstrokes. Spin generation on slices is also amazing. What really swung me over to this string is the comfort level - it doesn't feel harsh for a poly, and has good elasticity. The strings also don't move around much which is great as I dislike having to readjust strings.

The best part is, this is a highly affordable and durable polyester compared to SPPP and TF Redcode.

If you've always wanted to try a full poly setup but have been concerned about harshness and a lack of feel, it's time to give the Gosen Polylon SP a second look.

Hi,

Great string and at a great price. I am using the SP 17 in a hybrid with a soft syn gut cross. This set-up plays more like a syn gut for feel and power.. not stiff like a ploy. Also a dream to string compared to other polys. BTW.. I need to get another reel.

Regards,
Steve

SteveI
10-04-2006, 02:39 AM

Hi,

This pretty much says it all about this string: From Barry (Feedback)

Comments: My normal string is Gosen Polylon 17 gauge mains with Gosen OG Micro 16 crosses. I have been using this hybrid combination for about 4 years now. I bought a reel of the Gosen Polylon SP 17 and have been very impressed with the product. The string is durable like poly, but plays like a good synthetic. Power is very good and the strings do not move inside the frame. Priced at $50 a reel, it is bit more expensive than Polylon $30, but players who prefer a synthetic gut feel will like Polylon SP both in durability and enhanced power. If you are looking to add some pop to your shots, but like the durability of poly, consider giving it a shot. Very nice string!

Regards,
Steve

diredesire
10-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Yep, I've been raving about this string for a while now, SteveI would know! :)

I think it's a very underrated string, and people might not place it in the "performance poly" category simply due to it's price. It's a great string that I think people should try! I'll probably be picking up another reel after I run out. I've got 2 reels of Poly Polar, so my comfort poly section is already a little too "filled."

Richie Rich
10-04-2006, 12:13 PM
with polylon sp being so soft would you string at your normal tension for syn gut and not drop it 5-10% like most other poly's?

SteveI
10-04-2006, 04:44 PM
with polylon sp being so soft would you string at your normal tension for syn gut and not drop it 5-10% like most other poly's?

Hi,

Yes.. I would string the SP about the same as syn gut.. and yes, not drop the tension 5-10%. I think the SP would be too powerful at the lower tension.

Regards,
Steve

Richie Rich
10-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi,

Yes.. I would string the SP about the same as syn gut.. and yes, not drop the tension 5-10%. I think the SP would be too powerful at the lower tension.

Regards,
Steve
Cheers. ..

ryohazuki222
10-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Jon...

Do you think you could elaborate a bit on how your hybrid compared to the full job of polylon sp?

Also... disregarding durability and price... how would you rank the gosen, redcode, and sppp?

jonolau
10-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Hi Alex,

This is my subjective point of view -

After having been a long time user of full aramids, then aramid hybrids, these are my experiences so far with poly/poly hybrids:

1. Tecnifibre Spinfire hybrid with Klip Kicker- A very interested "raw" feel. Reminds me a bit of aramid, very crisp. Have not tried a full setup as can imagine it to be too harsh. Though tension drops, it still maintains that crisp feel. Can come across as being too stiff for those concerned about comfort. Power level is about 4/10

2. SPPP - A crisp and very responsive poly. Has a great amount of feel and feedback and you can feel the shots coming off the stringbed without too much discomfort. Power level is about 5.5/10

3. TF Pro Redcode - Personally, I liked this the least. Though it has a good amount of comfort, it felt too muted and lacked the response of SPPP. To me it does not justify the high price. Power level is about 6/10

4. Gosen Polylon SP. This one came across as the biggest surprise. It had the right balance of power, feel, response and comfort. Power level about 7.5/10

If I were to rank them in terms of justifying price versus performance, it would be as follows:

1. Gosen Polylon SP
2. SPPP
3. Tecnifibre Spinfire
4. TF Pro Redcode

ryohazuki222
10-04-2006, 11:23 PM
thanks jon...

I'd like to hear back when you've tried out the cyber flash! One of my better tennis buddies has been using (and really loves) the gosen polylon sp 17g. But he's finally become willing to try out cyber flash. I'll find out how he likes it tomorrow.

Court_Jester
10-05-2006, 03:05 AM
2. SPPP - A crisp and very responsive poly. Has a great amount of feel and feedback and you can feel the shots coming off the stringbed without too much discomfort. Power level is about 5.5/10

3. TF Pro Redcode - Personally, I liked this the least. Though it has a good amount of comfort, it felt too muted and lacked the response of SPPP. To me it does not justify the high price. Power level is about 6/10
I agree with your assessment of these two strings. I find Red Code to be an okay string but way overpriced for its performance. The SPPP and Cyber Flash are much better alternatives to the Red Code. I'm going to cut it out before this weekend and replace it with Gosen Polylon Comfort and see how it compares to other polys.

jonolau
10-05-2006, 04:15 AM
Yep, I've been raving about this string for a while now, SteveI would know! :)

I think it's a very underrated string, and people might not place it in the "performance poly" category simply due to it's price. It's a great string that I think people should try! I'll probably be picking up another reel after I run out. I've got 2 reels of Poly Polar, so my comfort poly section is already a little too "filled."
JD,

Thanks for the excellent recommendation! You were spot on with the advice and I have no regrets getting it.

However, when I placed my initial order with TW, I did it with great hesitation because the price gave me the impression that it was just an average string, and that SPPP and Redcode should be better. How wrong I was, and I'm glad I followed your recommendation.

I have also yet to try out the Poly Polar that you sent to me. But I hope to get round to that soon and will give my views soon ....

Thanks once again, buddy!

Jon

jonolau
10-05-2006, 04:16 AM
I agree with your assessment of these two strings. I find Red Code to be an okay string but way overpriced for its performance. The SPPP and Cyber Flash are much better alternatives to the Red Code. I'm going to cut it out before this weekend and replace it with Gosen Polylon Comfort and see how it compares to other polys.
Great! I would be interested to read your views of Polylon Comfort.

jonolau
10-05-2006, 04:17 AM
thanks jon...

I'd like to hear back when you've tried out the cyber flash! One of my better tennis buddies has been using (and really loves) the gosen polylon sp 17g. But he's finally become willing to try out cyber flash. I'll find out how he likes it tomorrow.
Thanks, Alex. I already have some pre-conceived ideas of Cyber Flash based on feedback of some tennis buddies here. However, I will keep an open mind when I try it out. Can't wait for it to arrive.

SteveI
10-05-2006, 04:41 AM
thanks jon...

Hi,

Sorry to jump in.. but I have used both the TS Cyber Flash and the SP 17 since they are in the same class of poly. Price/Performace has to go to the SP 17 IMHO. The SP had better power/feel/comfort and the price is better. I got a bit better control with the CF.. string moverment was very much the same. I love the feel of the SP as I can hit some very nice touch shots and volley well.. not the case with many polys. Dwell time seems better with the SP and spin production was a bit better with the SP also. Could not break either string.. and they seem to have about the same tension loss. The SP lost tension much quicker.. but then remained the same .. where as the CF lost tension more evenly. The CF plays a bit stiffer than the SP.. Hope this helps.

Steve

neo
10-13-2006, 06:22 PM
If I were to rank them in terms of justifying price versus performance, it would be as follows:

1. Gosen Polylon SP
2. SPPP
3. Tecnifibre Spinfire
4. TF Pro Redcode

But disregarding the price, which did you like better Polylon SP or SPPP?

jonolau
10-13-2006, 11:16 PM
But disregarding the price, which did you like better Polylon SP or SPPP?
I do prefer the SPPP slightly over the Gosen, but only probably because it's a 1.18mm gauge as compared to 1.25 for the Gosen.

meh
10-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Hey all,

Out of Poly Polar 1.25, Polylon SP 1.25, and Spinfire 1.20, which would you prefer for spin production, tension maintenance, and comfort?

I'm looking for an inexpensive, ~$50 co-poly reel to hybrid with syn gut crosses. Haven't really used any polyester strings since the first generation ones, and I'm not familiar with these co-polys. Cyberflash 1.25 at $70 for a reel is a bit out of my price range, but is it worth the additional cost over the other three strings?

TIA

jonolau
10-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Hi meh, this is a tough call. In terms of pin production, I like the relatively stiffer "feel" of Spinfire, which gives the impression that it will stretch less and bite into the ball better.

But if looking for an overall good-performing string, I'd go for the Polylon SP.

meh
10-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks Jon, interesting that you consider the Spinfire a stiffer string, since this is the one with the PU multifilament wraps.

I probably will get a few sets to experiment but I'd like to narrow down my choices if at all possible. The thin 1.20 gauge of the Spinfire is really attractive though.

jonolau
10-15-2006, 08:29 PM
No worries, meh. If you want to do a string trade to test, just drop me an email.