PDA

View Full Version : Urgent question about FORTEN Thin Blend strings...

Virgilio
10-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Is it too loose to string my racquet with 57 lbs with these strings? Would it be comparable with a 57 lbs of monofilament?

Also, should I really put the yellow ones (aramid) running vertically? Is it ok if they have the same tension of the syn gut with which they come with?

Thanks a lot for all of the comments!

Ripper
10-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Is it too loose to string my racquet with 57 lbs with these strings? Would it be comparable with a 57 lbs of monofilament?

Also, should I really put the yellow ones (aramid) running vertically? Is it ok if they have the same tension of the syn gut with which they come with?

Thanks a lot for all of the comments!

Aramid strings are stiffer than polys. I'd string the aramids on the mains, somewhere around 50. Yes, you could string the crosses at the same tension, if that's what you want.

Kevo
10-03-2006, 10:59 AM
I normally drop the aramid about 10% and keep the cross the same as what you would use on a full synthetic. So I'd try 51/57 or 53/57 if you have a flexible frame to minimize possible distortion.

You can string it at the same tension if you want, but it will feel stiffer since the aramid is much more stiff than a nylon. There is no reason to put the aramid in the crosses. It wouldn't provide any useful benefit.

Virgilio
10-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Oki, many thanks to both of you guys...I'll let you know how it will play.

Virgilio
10-04-2006, 03:01 PM
first feedback:

strung it at 57, mains and crosses with same tension. The shots appear to be extremely precise! Serves are ok, at net there's plenty of control, plus when you play from the baseline you get much power and extraordinary control. I am actually amazed of the results. I was coming from a PSGO and really enjoyed the upgrade!

EZRA
10-04-2006, 06:45 PM
I've been using the Forten Thin Blends for the past 2-3 years... they have great feel for an Aramid based string. I actually string mine almost the same tension as yours (57 mains, 59 crosses). They're great strings but they do lose tension (like most strings do) after a few uses.

Virgilio
10-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Played two sets with it: felt great! Compared to PSGO that I previously had (strung at 55), I had so much control...finally! Power was also very good. Will play again tomorrow, will post some more impressions.

POGforEver
10-06-2006, 11:51 AM
I used to use thin blend as well, untill I started breaking it often. Glad you like it and I bet you get that nice pop off the string bed too.