PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions based on this ncode n6.1 scenario

sphinx780
10-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Hi all,
Here's the scoop. I used a wilson htour for the past 3 years with babolat ballistic (polymono) at 52-55lbs depending on conditions. Frame fibers broke down, lost control with the power...went to n6.1 95 (16x18). Looking for a good string with control on this stick. The ballistic (strung everywhere from 52-65) just seems to jump off the raquet and it gives me poor control, tried Gosen 17g polyice and got some good bite off the ball with more control b/c of the spin but would ideally like to find something for a constant string breaker (these two strings last approx 1 month of playtime for me in MN). Have used ballistic as mains with gosen as cross but that still doesn't dampen the pop off the strings. Any ideas...4.5 level USTA player, former DIII college player looking for something that will last similarily so but will offer a more deadened response. I have never overly experimented with strings and am wanting to hear all advice.

Thanks!

Fishbulb
10-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Signum Pro Poly Plasma or Alu Power.

Court_Jester
10-04-2006, 08:34 PM
SPPP is a good choice. I have the same racquet as you do and I strung it with SPPP 17 at 54 lbs. I should have followed the recommendation on the package, i.e., reducing the tension by about 10% since it feels a bit boardy at 54 lbs and it retains the tension very well.

Topspin Cyber Flash is also a good choice. Sorta reminds me of Alu Power Rough but softer and less feedback. Both strings don't move at all, despite heavy topspins.

Fishbulb
10-04-2006, 09:09 PM
I wonder how it feels boardy at 54lbs. I use Alu Power with my six one 95 at 54lbs, and i think i need to string a bit tighter, maybe 55 - 56.
I strung my nsix one tour at 53lbs SPPP and it feels way to powerful.

Steve Huff
10-04-2006, 10:11 PM
I agree with the Signum Poly Pro Plasma. It has a deader feel. Guys I've strung for that like the high pitched "ping" from something like Gosen Polylon don't like the SPPP. But, it has a soft, deadened feel. The 1.23 mm has really good spin too. If you're stringing the Polymono at 52-55, I'd go about 57 with the SPPP.

Court_Jester
10-05-2006, 03:15 AM
I wonder how it feels boardy at 54lbs. I use Alu Power with my six one 95 at 54lbs, and i think i need to string a bit tighter, maybe 55 - 56.
I strung my nsix one tour at 53lbs SPPP and it feels way to powerful.
The power level at 54 lbs is actually pretty good for me and just about right. It's just that I may be expecting the SPPP 17 to feel like a stiff synth gut, as many reviews indicated. I'll be trying the 17L gauge next to see if I can get that "feel" that I'm looking for.

sphinx780
10-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Thanks guys. I knocked my polymono down to 52 and that gives much more feel to the ball than 55 did. I'll have to give the SPPP a try. It's amazing how much more control the lower tensions seem to give with the poly for my strokes.