PDA

View Full Version : String similar to Ace 18?

HappyLefty
10-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Last month I tested an ACE 18 set and I was really impressive with this string. Great control under decent power, excelent spin production also.

The only issue is the short time it lasts (16 playing hours).
I would like to continue with this string but my wallet is screaming.

Is there a string with similar properties but more durable?

Sadly I`m a string breaker.:confused:

TonyB
10-04-2006, 04:03 AM
Try Signum Pro Poly Plasma 1.18.

From what I've read, it's superior in all areas except possibly that it has lower power.

counterpuncher
10-04-2006, 04:06 PM
SPPP 18 is a nice alternative but it has a very different feel, more springy and less bite with a little bit more power. Timo 18 would be the closest although it is stiffer. RacquetFuel Hi-Octane is also suppose to be similar (have only tried the Control myself), but cost would be prohibitive.

Klip K-Boom 18 at a lower tension as it has less power but similar bite would IMO be your best option. Cyberflash which I am yet to try, seems to have good reviews on these and other boards and might also fit the bill.

Radical Shot
10-05-2006, 05:19 AM
SPPP 18g. Very, very similar, if not better.

BiGGieStuFF
10-05-2006, 05:34 AM
I think i'm going back to Ace 18. Timo is definitely tiring out my arm. Stiff racket + stiff string is not good. Ace 18 seems to be a bit softer. Am I correct in this?

phat
10-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Biggiestuff, try to hybrid with a syn gut cross to cut the cost, like a gosen OG 17, just remember to tighten the cross by 3-4 ibs from your preferred set up with ace.

BiGGieStuFF
10-05-2006, 07:21 AM
Biggiestuff, try to hybrid with a syn gut cross to cut the cost, like a gosen OG 17, just remember to tighten the cross by 3-4 ibs from your preferred set up with ace.

How will this affect the playability compared to a full job of ace 18?

PBODY99
10-05-2006, 07:35 AM
I found that this is a set-up that is easier on the arm than the full Ace 18 job.

BiGGieStuFF
10-05-2006, 07:40 AM
I found that this is a set-up that is easier on the arm than the full Ace 18 job.

But still has the same playing qualities? extra bite great control?

HappyLefty
10-05-2006, 08:37 AM
SPPP 18g. Very, very similar, if not better.
How about durability?
Does SPPP 18 last longer?

Radical Shot
10-05-2006, 09:00 PM
How about durability?
Does SPPP 18 last longer?

About the same - can't really split them. For me, all polys have a rather short working life. Fantastic at the start, a plateu period, and then they lose it after which I usually cut them out.

A freshly strung poly will not move at all - even under to most extreme conditions. ie. A huge cut at the ball, with big topspin. As soon as I see that any of the mains have not held their position, this means tension loss to the point that I'll cut them out when I get home.

Continuing to play with a poly after this kind of tension loss is in my opinon detrimental to your power and control, arm and technique.

Richie Rich
10-06-2006, 03:45 AM
About the same - can't really split them. For me, all polys have a rather short working life. Fantastic at the start, a plateu period, and then they lose it after which I usually cut them out.

A freshly strung poly will not move at all - even under to most extreme conditions. ie. A huge cut at the ball, with big topspin. As soon as I see that any of the mains have not held their position, this means tension loss to the point that I'll cut them out when I get home.

Continuing to play with a poly after this kind of tension loss is in my opinon detrimental to your power and control, arm and technique.
i agree. 20 hours for a poly (tops) and it's being cut out and restrung.

emcee
10-06-2006, 07:33 AM
But still has the same playing qualities? extra bite great control?

I haven't tried that combo, but using PSGD took some playablitity away from my SPPP! I like the feel though...