PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Recommendations

bank5
10-04-2006, 08:48 AM
I'm going to try some hybrid combinations and am looking for some recommendations. I play with an O3 Tour MP, hit heavy top and usually break a main after 10-15 hours of play. I'm hoping the right hybrid combo will last 20+ hours but still have a decent feel. Here's what I'm thinking about trying:

Mains:
Signum Pro Poly-Plasma (SPPP), Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour, Gosen Polyon SP

Crosses:
Alpha Gut 2000, Technifibre E-Matrix, Gosen OG Sheep Natural

Is there anything else I should give a shot?

Sebastien
10-04-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm hoping the right hybrid combo will last 20+ hours but still have a decent feel. Here's what I'm thinking about trying:
Crosses:
Alpha Gut 2000, Technifibre E-Matrix, Gosen OG Sheep Natural

Is there anything else I should give a shot?

Technifibre E-Matrix! Maybe not! last me 2-3 hours as cross

Just have a look there:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=122211

Give a try to the Gamma Revelation, very nice string IMO.

bank5
10-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the info Sebastian. I won't bother with the E-Matrix and will probably give Revelation and PowerPlay a shot.

nhstennis
10-07-2006, 06:02 PM
gosen is the best value in a hybrid as a X string def. give it a try. 3 bucks a set or less.

R-Fed
10-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Babolat superfine play for the crosses lasted me over 20 hours (20-25 hours).

It might last longer than that, I don't know because I cut my strings out around 24-25 hours.

Kevo
10-07-2006, 07:36 PM
I've been playing Cyberflash 17 and Ashaway Liberty recently. It's been working quite nicely on my new Pure Storm. Good feel, control, power, and it looks like it will be more durable than full Cyberflash. Plus it's really cheap.

NYCEnglish
10-08-2006, 04:56 AM
I've been playing with SPPP/Gosen OG Sheep Micro - it's an awesome pairing.

Next I'm going to try Timo 122 with Klip Legend Pro Natural Gut

jonolau
10-08-2006, 07:03 AM
All else being equal, the string thickness contributes to durability. A thicker gauge on the mains will therefore last longer. The downside is that you compromise on a bit of feel.

I've played with SPPP 17L and Gosen Polylon SP 17 on mains, hybrid with Klip Kicker 17, Babolat Super Fineplay 17 or Prince Lightning XX 17. These crosses all work really nicely to add a balance of comfort. However, I felt hard-pressed to discern any difference in playability as the mains contributes mostly to this.

SPPP 17L has a crisper feel as a main and bites into the ball very well. The Gosen was a surprisingly comfortable poly, but I personally preferred it as a full poly as it was perhaps too comfortable. I like to have a bit more feel and feeback from my strings and with a full Gosen Polylon SP job, it plays really well with good control and power.

Morpheus
10-08-2006, 09:22 AM
How significant is the difference between using poly on the mains vs. poly on the crosses? What about the tension differential?

jonolau
10-08-2006, 04:31 PM
How significant is the difference between using poly on the mains vs. poly on the crosses? What about the tension differential?
The mains are the ones that will give you spin, therefore putting a stiffer string on the main will allow more access to spin.

As for tension differential on hybrids, those who use a stiff string on the main, tend to soften the harshness by using a softer string on the cross (syn gut, multi, nat gut) and string that a a slightly lower tension to enhance the comfort. But there a different schools of thought to this. Stringing the crosses lower would also result in a slightly lower post-stringing tension on the mains.

Imagine the frame as a circle, if the crosses are at a lower tension than the mains, the mains will flatten the shape of the frame longitudinally making it look like an oval lying on its side. If you string the crosses at a slightly higher tension than the mains, the opposite happens as it pulls the sides in, thus making the mains more taut.

Hope it makes sense and hasn't confused you.

Morpheus
10-09-2006, 03:47 AM
The mains are the ones that will give you spin, therefore putting a stiffer string on the main will allow more access to spin.

As for tension differential on hybrids, those who use a stiff string on the main, tend to soften the harshness by using a softer string on the cross (syn gut, multi, nat gut) and string that a a slightly lower tension to enhance the comfort. But there a different schools of thought to this. Stringing the crosses lower would also result in a slightly lower post-stringing tension on the mains.

Imagine the frame as a circle, if the crosses are at a lower tension than the mains, the mains will flatten the shape of the frame longitudinally making it look like an oval lying on its side. If you string the crosses at a slightly higher tension than the mains, the opposite happens as it pulls the sides in, thus making the mains more taut.

Hope it makes sense and hasn't confused you.

Thx. I asked the question because I noticed on TW's "custom stringing" section they list different hybrid combos of the pros. Fed has gut in his mains, which surprised me since I had always assumed that the mains would be poly.

In normal stringing, I've always had my crosses strung 2 pounds lower than the mains. I assumed the club did this because the crosses are shorter and by stringing them lower, you could match the tension of the mains. I didn't know what the protocol was for hybrids.

Your explanation of the crosses influencing the tension of the mains is something I hadn't heard or thought about.

My take away is that one should merely string the crosses 2 to 3 pounds lower than the mains regardless of the string unless trying to do something unusual.

BiGGieStuFF
10-09-2006, 03:58 AM
I thought if you're using a poly as the main and a (syn gut, multi, gut) as the crosses you were supposed to string the crosses tighter since the poly is supposed to be strung at a lower tension than normal and the cross needs to be strung tighter to match the poly?

PBODY99
10-09-2006, 05:49 AM
The poly losses tension faster than the non-poly crossess, so some folks use the higher cross string tension to help maintane stringbed in the desired tension range. Using gut in the mains with a poly( or Nlyon) in the crosses, allows the gut to last longer since the hard string <the crosses> doesn't cut the mains as quickly as an all gut( or Multi) string job would.

Pusher
10-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Thx. I asked the question because I noticed on TW's "custom stringing" section they list different hybrid combos of the pros. Fed has gut in his mains, which surprised me since I had always assumed that the mains would be poly.

In normal stringing, I've always had my crosses strung 2 pounds lower than the mains. I assumed the club did this because the crosses are shorter and by stringing them lower, you could match the tension of the mains. I didn't know what the protocol was for hybrids.

Your explanation of the crosses influencing the tension of the mains is something I hadn't heard or thought about.

My take away is that one should merely string the crosses 2 to 3 pounds lower than the mains regardless of the string unless trying to do something unusual.

No,

The poly mains should be strung 5-10% lower than you would the gut crosses. If you string the crosses lower than the mains you will be playing with the back fence instead of your opponent.

Morpheus
10-09-2006, 12:26 PM
No,

The poly mains should be strung 5-10% lower than you would the gut crosses. If you string the crosses lower than the mains you will be playing with the back fence instead of your opponent.

Pusher, now I am truly confused. I cut the following text from TW's custom hybrid selection page. As you can see, they are promoting stringing mains tighter than the crosses. Can you explain why this is incorrect?

Thx.

2. Select Your Crosses
To further customize your hybrid selection, you can vary the tension between strings. As a general rule, main strings should be strung tighter than cross strings. This is a popular set-up with professional players and is a good way of increasing the size of the sweetspot. We recommend a tension variance of 2-3lbs and have a maximum tension variance of 5lbs on hybrid stringing.

Pusher
10-10-2006, 02:16 AM
Pusher, now I am truly confused. I cut the following text from TW's custom hybrid selection page. As you can see, they are promoting stringing mains tighter than the crosses. Can you explain why this is incorrect?

Thx.

2. Select Your Crosses
To further customize your hybrid selection, you can vary the tension between strings. As a general rule, main strings should be strung tighter than cross strings. This is a popular set-up with professional players and is a good way of increasing the size of the sweetspot. We recommend a tension variance of 2-3lbs and have a maximum tension variance of 5lbs on hybrid stringing.

See the replies above.

Babolat recommends main polysters at 4lbs below gut/synthetic crosses on their hybrids.

Even on gut/gut or syn/syn combos I increase tension in the crosses while lowering tension in the mains. It gives a more consistent stringbed and the strings last longer. But obviously this is all debatable.

Also go to Joe's string forum (google search) and look at the "jaycee method"

JCFsupra
12-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Just curious so

tighter mains with looser crosses would widen the frame and increase the sweetspot but be bad for control.

looser mains with tighter crosses would elongate the frame thereby shrinking the sweetspot but be better for control.

Is this correct? I've always kept tension constant so I'm new to hybriding and tension changes.

plarazza
12-10-2006, 06:22 PM
I play with SPPP in the mains n a Klip Syn gut on the crosses at 59 and 60 pounds. I would not suggest having the SPPP a few pounds lower then the crosses. I did this and shredded the crap out my string broke in about 2 weeks. And I rarely break strings. Unless you don't really care about breaking them frequently