PDA

View Full Version : Strings

MUSCBoneDoc11
10-04-2006, 10:03 AM
I was wondering if someone could help out a rookie. I've played a fair amount of tennis but because I was always playing baseball I never played on a super competitive level. I'm now starting to get more serious about improving my tennis game. Right now I'd say my skills are that of a pretty good high school player but my agility, speed, and hustle allow me to hang with better players. I recently bought a new ball machine (Tennis Tutor +) and have ordered the basic Klippermate stringer. I have a Michael Chang Prince Extender racquet (probably about 10 years old, but not used a ton over the last few years since I've been in med school and residency).

My question now is what strings should I buy? I admit my playing ability far outweighs my tennis knowledge so I need help with this rookie question. I know that different strings give more power, spin, control, etc. (depending on who you ask) but I honestly don't know where to start. What I'd probably like is a string that will allow me to play an all-around game (and practice all aspects of a well rounded game), at least until I find out what type of game I like to play. So, can someone give me a quick run-down on strings (or, feel free to point me to a page where I can read about them to learn basics). I want something that is good for an all-around game (ie-serve, volley, ground strokes, overheads, topspin, etc.) even though I realize that such a string probably isn't the "best" for any specific aspects. I know eventually I'll want to try different strings out and decide what feels best to me but can someone give me a good starting point given my abilities, goals, and equipment? Also, if you do have a good suggestion, how much string should I buy and are there any websites you know of right off that have good deals? I know I can get 10% off from klipper for 30 days since I just bought a stringer from them.

Thanks so much for all the help--I really appreciate it!

bank5
10-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Here's some info on strings: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/lcfrontpage.html

I'd start of with a couple of basic versions. You can then decide if you want more feel, more control, power, durability, spin etc and go from there.

Tension also has a big effect on control and power. Higher tension = more control, less power. Lower tension = less control, more power.

Ripper
10-04-2006, 10:14 AM
My question now is what strings should I buy?

Uf, that's like saying you're interested in getting into a political party and asking which one it should be.

or, feel free to point me to a page where I can read about them to learn basics

This would be a nice starting point:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/lcfrontpage.html

Valjean
10-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Tecnifibre's Multifeel, just out, is made for you, too: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACTFUSA-MF16.html,

It's a great introduction to the string world; it should hold tension well in that extended racquet you have, and isn't too hard on you.

MUSCBoneDoc11
10-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. I've learned a lot today. I know it is tough to tell me which string is right for me but that's not what I want. I just want a recommendation of a good, all-around string that would be used by a very competitive recreational player. (ie-I don't get paid to play, but I'm not the person out at the park who plays once a month either) As I said before, I fully realize I'm going to have to try them out, but what I want to know is "where do I start?" I've pretty much eliminated natural gut and kevlar. Zyvex looked like perhaps a decent string from what I could tell. Any further suggestions are greatly appreciated! I know how many factors go into string decisions but I don't want the "perfect" string for me--I just want a string that will allow me to improve all aspects of the game and play up to my potential. I know there is no string that does everything the best--they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but what I want to know is what do you guys see as a good compromise between those (ie-not the strongest, but not the weakest, hits with decent control but also some power, etc.) Again, I know that although extremely basic, this is a tough question but all I want is a good starting point! Thanks!

Kevo
10-04-2006, 02:55 PM
The klipper zyex is a really nice string, but it's on the expensive side if you are a string breaker. Also, what's at least as important as what string is what tension to string it at. You may need to just pick a string and experiment with some different tensions. You should get some string to try with your stringer, so you might want to start there.

bank5
10-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Gamma TNT is pretty good. Strings are personal preference. It also depends on what type of a game you play. I agree with Kevo, that tension is just as important. I would worry about the type of string too much because it's not going to win or lose matches for you.

Valjean
10-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Tecnifibre's Multifeel is still your best starting point, based on what you have said above. Another thing you might do is search the board for opinions/threads concerning what has been recommended to you, and consult the feedback section on the string's TW page.