PDA

View Full Version : Another question about leather grips...

aznspongehead
10-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Well guys, figured I'd make this my first post since I couldn't really find the info I need in other threads.

I have a pretty heavy racket, especially for a beginner. I've been playing for three months and I'm already using a LM prestige... mine strung with the wilson pro grip is around 13 ounces (i guess the racket was heavier than the standard..). It probably isn't even a good idea for me to be using this "player's" racket, but I really like the feeling when I get a good shot with it, so I'm sticking to it.

I've been reading about tennis, and I found out that I need a bigger grip. Currently I have a 4 3/8, and while it feels fine with a new overgrip, it starts to get really uncomfortable in around a week when the overgrip gets compressed. From what I've read, normally you'd just put on a "heat shrink sleeve". The problem for me though is I really don't want to add anymore weight to my racket, and I think I've read somewhere that one of those adds an extra ounce. There's just no way, my wrist is already hurting from all the topspins and slices I've been trying to do. As a result I'm looking into a leather replacement grip, since I think those can increase the grip size... and I'll just put one of my overgrips over it.

Given my situation, is the leather grip + overgrip a good idea? (if so, which leather grip should i get to increase grip size the most while adding the least weight?) If not, what are some other options?

Thanks in advance. :)

joeyscl
10-04-2006, 07:10 PM
don't break your wrist----get a lighter racquet

POGforEver
10-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Leather grips are generally thinner than synthetic grips and also, if I remember correctly, they are also heavier. Did you weigh your LMP on a digital postal scale because 13oz with just an overgrip sounds kind of high. And sleeves are around 12-15 grams, I use them on my POGs...Good luck!

thejackal
10-04-2006, 08:19 PM
it doesn't matter as much when you add weight to the handle. i use a bit over 4 5/8 built up from 3/8 and my racquets are 14oz.

aznspongehead
10-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Leather grips are generally thinner than synthetic grips and also, if I remember correctly, they are also heavier. Did you weigh your LMP on a digital postal scale because 13oz with just an overgrip sounds kind of high. And sleeves are around 12-15 grams, I use them on my POGs...Good luck!

I weighed it with a spring postal scale I have at home... it should be pretty accurate. I really don't want to switch rackets partly because of the extra hundred dollars I'll have to shell out and partly because I'm starting to like my LMP...

Well, in that case, would it be a good idea if I put an overgrip directly over a sleeve?

Zets147
10-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Well guys, figured I'd make this my first post since I couldn't really find the info I need in other threads.

I have a pretty heavy racket, especially for a beginner. I've been playing for three months and I'm already using a LM prestige... mine strung with the wilson pro grip is around 13 ounces (i guess the racket was heavier than the standard..). It probably isn't even a good idea for me to be using this "player's" racket, but I really like the feeling when I get a good shot with it, so I'm sticking to it.

I've been reading about tennis, and I found out that I need a bigger grip. Currently I have a 4 3/8, and while it feels fine with a new overgrip, it starts to get really uncomfortable in around a week when the overgrip gets compressed. From what I've read, normally you'd just put on a "heat shrink sleeve". The problem for me though is I really don't want to add anymore weight to my racket, and I think I've read somewhere that one of those adds an extra ounce. There's just no way, my wrist is already hurting from all the topspins and slices I've been trying to do. As a result I'm looking into a leather replacement grip, since I think those can increase the grip size... and I'll just put one of my overgrips over it.

Given my situation, is the leather grip + overgrip a good idea? (if so, which leather grip should i get to increase grip size the most while adding the least weight?) If not, what are some other options?

Thanks in advance. :)

If it feels good with an overgrip, then just change your overgrip regularly (every 4-5hrs or so).

aznspongehead
10-04-2006, 09:28 PM
If it feels good with an overgrip, then just change your overgrip regularly (every 4-5hrs or so).

That would come down to about 2-3 grips per week... I don't know if I wanna spend close to $100 dollars on overgrips every year... I mean, I could be getting a new racket with a bigger grip. :(

Zets147
10-06-2006, 07:51 PM
when you start getting good, you will spend more money. Strings+Stringing costs (Usually around $20-30 everytime you break your strings, around 7-8 string jobs this year for me), Overgrips (I believe I only bought 3*30 packs for this year ($75 dollars), and if you decide to play competetively, you would probably want to buy another of the same racquet for a spare in case you break strings in a match or so ($100-140 on e-bay). So overall, overgrips are minor compared to the rest of the equipment.

So just check the overgrip before you go out to play, if it feels bad, then change it. If not, then you don't have to. When you add an overgrip, the grip size goes up by 1/16 inch or 1/8 inch i don't remember, so if you're "grip size" is somewhere around there with an overgrip, then you're good to go.

babolatPDstandard
10-10-2006, 03:01 AM
I have fxp prestiges in 4 3/8. They were a little too small so i got shrink sleeves which personally i think feel bad. They take the feeling out of the bevels in the handle and add weight to the handle which is certainly noticable. After adding an overgrip the handle felt round, not good!

So i then took off sleeves and tried babolat leather which weighs (24g) compared to a synthetic which is(17.4g). So by the time you cut the leftover off the end the difference is say 6-7 grams max. Note sleeves are 12-15 grams.

I use a tournagrip over the top and have also tried wilson pro aswell. Personally i like the feeling of leather. There is risks however, leather transmits more shock to the arm and can cause blisters.

With respect to size, i felt a considerable difference. I think my grip would now be equivalent to a 4 7/16. Also the firmer leather grip gives the feeling of a larger grip.

As suggested by others it is also wise to have a backup racquet, so i guess you could get that in a 4 1/2 if you are concerned about 3/8 being too small and then just build up the 4 3/8 with 2 overgrips and they will be similar. Then use this as a backup. Really if you arnt pro it shouldnt be a huge problem.

Other options to think about are building up with duct tape which is lighter than sleeves, changing grip pallets to 4 1/2 or geting custom handles.

Hope this helped anyway, i thought i would give you a detailed reply as I researched alot and had basically the same problem as you. I gues the key before rushing into buying another stick is trial and error with your existing lmp.

Also if it is a mid plus headsize i wouldnt be too woried about the stick being too hard to use. If you are strong enough to swing it and practice hard you will get used to it i guess.

Also remember having quality tennis gear will never be cheap.

vinnier6
10-10-2006, 05:47 AM
how big are you??? a 3/8 grip size with an overgrip should take care of a fairly average size person...you dont want the grip to be too big as you are already complaining about comfort...a heavy racquet + a too large grip is going to = problems with your wrist and arm...

Clintspin
10-10-2006, 05:55 AM
A little more weight in the handle would probably only make the racquet feel easier for you to swight. It would make it feel a little more head light. The shrink wrap will round-out your handle bevels a little but one shrink wrap will not be that dramatic. Your wrist could be hurting from too small a grip.

MasterTS
10-10-2006, 06:08 AM
Installing a leather grip will add about .3oz of weight to the racquet, which is pretty significant. It will, however, not accomplish your goal of increasing grip size.

I've installed it and used a tape measure.. comes out to roughly the same size!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/TwistServe/leather.jpg