PDA

View Full Version : Wrong stringjob?!

gonzalocatalino
10-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Hi!
I´m sure that an expert stringer would help me...
Is this racquet stringjob wrong (look at the knots, one is on the mains and the other on crosses)??
Is true that a one piece stringjob with one of the knots on crosses is ABSOLUTELY WRONG because both knots must be placed on the mains???

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9159/vengine10mp2vx8.jpg

I saw a lot of racquets with one knot on mains and the other on crosses (like my other volkl tour 10 gen2 and another T9 VE mp 16*19), but a guy is telling me that those strinjob are completely WRONG...

Thanks!!

pcpshortbus
10-05-2006, 05:28 PM
thats the way i string my rackets...

pcpshortbus
10-05-2006, 05:41 PM
thats the way i string my rackets...

Court_Jester
10-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Actually, there are two things wrong with the stringing job. First, the mains should have been tied off at 7H but yours was done at 6H. Second, the tie off knot at 6H should have been tied around the mains but yours was only tied in a knot big enough not to slip through the grommet. So unfortunately for you, your friend is right.

EDIT: the cross was tied correctly, BTW.

Mike Cottrill
10-05-2006, 09:14 PM
the tie off knot at 6H should have been tied around the mains but yours was only tied in a knot big enough not to slip through the grommet.

I have seen this type of knot before (from what I can tell it is the same knot). I think it is acceptable but do wonder why both sticks are not done the same. BTW, I have seen what seems to be the same knot on a Safin stick, but it was used on gut for the start of the cross. Not sure why they used it on yours. The guy that strung the stick should have an answer for why he did it that way. What does he say?

gonzalocatalino
10-06-2006, 04:50 AM
Actually, there are two things wrong with the stringing job. First, the mains should have been tied off at 7H but yours was done at 6H. Second, the tie off knot at 6H should have been tied around the mains but yours was only tied in a knot big enough not to slip through the grommet. So unfortunately for you, your friend is right.

Thanks. The thing is that this guy (a COMPLETE IDIOT btW) says that a KNOT NEVER MUST BE PLACED ON CROSSES, BOTH KNOTS, IN ALL KIND OF RACQUETS, MUST BE ON MAINS (VERTICAL).
Is that correct?
as example, he shows me the stringjob on his Liquidmetal Radical MP (18x20 with both knots on mains), and from i know (almost nothing :) ) a 18x20 string pattern is a completely different thing...

thomas martinez
10-06-2006, 05:09 AM
Actually, when you get down to the bottom on the V-10, you tie off on the third cross. Then of course there are ways to tie off all knots when doing one piece on the crosses. It's actually better to tie off on the crosses, simply because it stresses the string less. As for using the wrong tie offs, you're supposed to knot the mains on the next to last main, and then you make your start knot on thrid main counting from the outside. Though it is acceptable to tie off your mains on the thrid to last main and your start knot on the next to last main. The only bad part on doing the later, you creat longer distances in your tie offs.

gonzalocatalino
10-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Actually, when you get down to the bottom on the V-10, you tie off on the third cross. Then of course there are ways to tie off all knots when doing one piece on the crosses. It's actually better to tie off on the crosses, simply because it stresses the string less. As for using the wrong tie offs, you're supposed to knot the mains on the next to last main, and then you make your start knot on thrid main counting from the outside. Though it is acceptable to tie off your mains on the thrid to last main and your start knot on the next to last main. The only bad part on doing the later, you creat longer distances in your tie offs.

Thanks!

Court_Jester
10-07-2006, 11:40 AM
as example, he shows me the stringjob on his Liquidmetal Radical MP (18x20 with both knots on mains), and from i know (almost nothing :) ) a 18x20 string pattern is a completely different thing...
When you said "both knots", I take it that his racquet was done with one-piece stringing (1-PS). Head rarely recommends this kind of stringing for their racquets. Of the entire LM line (19 racquets), only 5 of them can be done with 1-PS. The Radical MP is not one of them.

Anyway, with 1-PS, the knots always end up on the mains, at least ones that I have done. Maybe that's why he thinks that that is where the knots must be done.

gonzalocatalino
10-07-2006, 02:25 PM
When you said "both knots", I take it that his racquet was done with one-piece stringing (1-PS). Head rarely recommends this kind of stringing for their racquets. Of the entire LM line (19 racquets), only 5 of them can be done with 1-PS. The Radical MP is not one of them.

Anyway, with 1-PS, the knots always end up on the mains, at least ones that I have done. Maybe that's why he thinks that that is where the knots must be done.

here is the racquet he is talking about:
http://www.polly-pop.com.ar/celu/encordado.jpg

Court_Jester
10-07-2006, 03:37 PM
here is the racquet he is talking about:
http://www.polly-pop.com.ar/celu/encordado.jpg
Yeah, the tie-offs are done correctly on the Radical, even though 1-PS is not recommended. However, the Head Ti.Fire is done incorrectly. The pic shows the mains tie-off at 8T (should have been at 9T). The last cross tie-off appears to be correct at 7T. If this is a Comfort Zone (CZ) version, then the first cross tie-off at 6H is correct. Otherwise, if this is just a regular Ti.Fire, then the tie-off should have been at 8T.