PDA

View Full Version : Anything like Head RIP Control?

Koz
10-05-2006, 08:47 PM
I'm about to stock back up on some strings. For my personal use I like a string that has good feel and pockets the ball very well. I don't like mush, but I prefer a softer string over a stiffer/crisper string. So far I've been pretty satisfied with Head RIP Control. It's pretty soft/comfy, and pockets the ball well (feels kinda like rubber IMO), but has good feel, and isn't too muted or mushy.

I may just buy a reel of the stuff, but I was wondering if there's anything else I should look into beforehand. Any recommendations? I want price to stay in the same range. ~$8/set or less. Durability is somewhat of an issue, but not terribly important. I'll probably end up ordering a 17g if I go with RIP control...

jayserinos99
10-06-2006, 03:22 AM
Hi Koz, I remember reading that Isospeed Professional was similar in construction (polyolefin) to the Head RIP Control. I currently have RIP Control in a Prestige Classic 600 that I keep around to hit with from time to time; I actually bought a used frame with this string in a Classic Mid and I really like it as it's not too powerful and it's very comfy. Outside of the usual natural gut/syn gut hybrid I normally string my main frames with, Head RIP Control is one string I really like.

Koz
10-06-2006, 09:22 PM
it does seem like RIP control is a bit of a unique string. I wonder if it's due to the fact it's made up of ribbons as opposed to strands of string.

DANMAN
10-06-2006, 09:27 PM
I've played both RIP control and Isospeede Professional and liked the RIP much better. The isospeed was way too dead and wasn't nearly as comfortable to me.

Tennis Man
10-06-2006, 10:13 PM
I do like it but it moves a lot. I tried Babolat Pro Hurricane before and it hold very well ... you should try it.

Steve Huff
10-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Koz, do you have anything you'd want to trade for a set (maybe 2). I tried it and wanted something with LESS texture. It does have a nice feel, but I liked the FXP better. I'm actually back to a gut hybrid now though.
stmt@comcast.net

boojay
10-07-2006, 02:32 AM
i really liked rip control, but as pointed out earlier, it moves a lot. Also, it breaks on me quite often. I've been using Luxilon and haven't looked back since.

Koz
10-10-2006, 08:13 PM
i really liked rip control, but as pointed out earlier, it moves a lot. Also, it breaks on me quite often. I've been using Luxilon and haven't looked back since.

Boojay,

My durability requirements don't call for something as robust as a full poly. Honestly, I'm fine with something like Prince Syn Gut. However I just like the feel and elasticity of RIP control more.

I actually hybrid my RIP control with Technifibre E-matrix in the mains. I'm trying to go for an Intellitour-like setup. I really liked the feel of intellitour, but I'm a tightwad and wont pay the price for it. Either way, with this combo, I don't really notice a whole lot of string movement. Not any more than the previously mentioned Prince Syn Gut, or other basic string.

I think I'll probably stick with the RIP control, unless anyone else has any other suggestions. Just wanted to see what other options were out there before I go ahead and blow over $100 on a reel of string (eek!). It still seems like it's somewhat unique in it's construction/feel/playability, so there doesn't seem to be many similar options out there.

Steve, I'd possibly be interested in a trade, however I can't think of anything that I could offer up in trade. I'm just about completely out of all strings at the moment. Same with grips and anything else. Thanks for the offer though!

jaykay
10-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Koz,

I tried the Head RC 17 several times and really liked it. Soft but not muted, excellent feel, good bite on the ball. On the downside, it goes dead after 10 playing hours and moves around like crazy.

So I tried the Yonex Tour Super 850 and absolutely hated it. Tried poly/gut (mains/crosses, i.e. Lux BB Ace 18 with Babolat Tonic+ 16L) and found it too harsh. Tried gut/synthetic (mains/crosses, i.e. Babolat Tonic+ 16 with Gosen OG Sheep Super Micro 17) and liked this combo, but the gut frayed on my bigtime fairly quickly. I still like the feel of freshly strung synthetic but this goes away in just a few playing hours.

I am not a string breaker.

So I am back to Head Rip Control 17 now. It is really a good string and I haven't found anything like it out there in my limited experience.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
jaykay.

Beastiebob
10-11-2006, 10:49 AM
What tension are you stringing your Head RIP control at?

I strung my stick with RIP 16 gauge at 64 lbs. I really like the soft feel and excellent spin response mentioned above. Although my racquet feels stiff as a board and the power just isn't there at all (feels really dead) unlike how it used to be. I feel like I have to take a full swing at the ball just to get it over the net. Previous to this I was using synthetic gut at 63lbs, I had plenty of power, but I had to move away from it due to some of the lack of spin/control issues I was having. I was thinking about dropping the tension 5lbs or so to around 59lbs to see if that can provide me a better balance of power and control. Do you think I’ll see any sort of different response by doing this?

jaykay
10-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Beastiebob - I get mine strung at 60-61lbs. And yes, I do have to take a full swing or hit a little higher to ensure the ball drops deep. But I still like it.

Toland
10-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I use use hybrid RC 17 at 56 lbs ( constant pool machine ) and
soft multy crosses 16 or 15 (better) at 58 lbs.
In this combinatin main strings doesn't move at all and not going dead until
breaks, because soft multy does not damaged main strings.

So far I found:

RC / Technifibre 515 - best
RC / Yonex 850 spin - second, but not durable
RC / Gamma Revelation - third
RC / Alpha 2000 - not good