PDA

View Full Version : Gosen Oilfilled Powerstring - Anyone know this ?

Bent
10-06-2006, 02:39 AM
I got a few of these from a friend.

http://i12.tinypic.com/2mfgkm0.jpg

I guess they are 20 yrs. old.

Just strung my POG MP with this as M and Dunlop Nulon 16g as X. 28 kg.

The Gosen was very, very stretchy and had small pieces of metal in the ends to keep the oil in.

Anyone remember ?

(sorry about the Q of the picture..)

PBODY99
10-07-2006, 05:06 AM
Yes, but not fondly. Several players tried it since it was touted to have a feell" as close to gut as you can get". What happened was that it also wasn't as robust as they would have liked. I found it nothing special.

wxr
10-07-2006, 05:57 AM
hey i have a set of that stuff, haven't tried it yet as it is really old indeed.

please tell me how you liked it..

Ronaldo
10-07-2006, 06:14 AM
I got a few of these from a friend.

http://i12.tinypic.com/2mfgkm0.jpg

I guess they are 20 yrs. old.

Just strung my POG MP with this as M and Dunlop Nulon 16g as X. 28 kg.

The Gosen was very, very stretchy and had small pieces of metal in the ends to keep the oil in.

Anyone remember ?

(sorry about the Q of the picture..)

Used oil-filled nylon back in the late 70s. Played ok but since it was hollow, the string was not durable. Plus, back in the day had to play early in the morning and would easily break at lower temps, below 50 degrees. Hard to compete when we got Victor Imperial Gut for $12 or Africord for $10 with a new racquet and Dunlop Maxply Forts were less than $40.

Bent
10-07-2006, 09:51 AM
I have been playing several hrs. now and I expect it to be more durable than poly.

Normally I get 12-15 hrs. out of 16 g poly in a POG MP.

This will exceed 25 hrs., I think. It is 1,40 mm. !!

elee3
10-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Does the oil leak when the crosses cut into the mains?

MTChong
10-07-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm confused as to how it's filled with oil yet in reel - or anything for that matter, unless the racquet uses up all the string required.

Redflea
10-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Used oil-filled nylon back in the late 70s. Played ok but since it was hollow, the string was not durable. Plus, back in the day had to play early in the morning and would easily break at lower temps, below 50 degrees. Hard to compete when we got Victor Imperial Gut for $12 or Africord for $10 with a new racquet and Dunlop Maxply Forts were less than $40.

Yeah...me too, that was the first thing I thought of, the old oil-filled nylon that I used "back in the day." Luckily I was playing at warmer temps and never had those problems w/it.

Ronaldo
10-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Yeah...me too, that was the first thing I thought of, the old oil-filled nylon that I used "back in the day." Luckily I was playing at warmer temps and never had those problems w/it.
Broke about 5 mains at once while playing at 35-40 degrees one morning in the spring. In shorts and a t-shirt, of course

Bent
10-08-2006, 04:54 AM
I did a hybrid and a small amount of oil got to the string and the tension wheel, where the rubber got slippery. Apart from that, the oil does not have any effect, I think. More of a marketing gimmick.

Jonny S&V
10-08-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm confused as to how it's filled with oil yet in reel - or anything for that matter, unless the racquet uses up all the string required.
Probably only sold in sets.

nViATi
10-08-2006, 08:13 AM
I'm guessing there are pieces in the string in multiple places then.

MTChong
10-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Probably only sold in sets.

You'd still have to cut the ends;) . The only plausible way would be to have oil for x" length with a small stop every interval of that length. Does anyone know if that's how it is constructed?

Bent
10-09-2006, 03:23 AM
I have only seen them in sets. With a piece of metal i both ends.

SW Stringer
10-09-2006, 08:57 AM
You'd still have to cut the ends;) . The only plausible way would be to have oil for x" length with a small stop every interval of that length. Does anyone know if that's how it is constructed?

I think your tie off knot, be it double half hitch or otherwise should be enough to seal the "hose" and keep the oil from coming out. Should be a knot on each end of the string whether one piece or two piece. Does that make sense? Take your garden hose and put a double half hitch in the line next to the nozzle, now turn on the water supply, when you turn on the nozzle does water come out? If so, cinch down the double half hitch a little bit harder and try again. :p

Ronaldo
10-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Believe the same company sells a gel-filled string to alleviate the leakage problem. Must really dampen vibration, see this type of string used for guitars too.