PDA

View Full Version : Kevlar Notching in Second Set

gotwheels
10-06-2006, 07:10 AM
My friend is hitting a Prince More Thunder OS. It had a fresh string job - Klipper kevlar 16 mains/Prince SGD16 crosses (60/64 constant pull). In the second set (singles) the kevlar mains were notching! I don't think it will last a second match. My friend is tough on strings - poly won't last due to shearing from framed hits. Any thoughts? Should kevlar notch that quickly?

We used the KlipperUSA Kevlar as you can get it in full sets and pick your own cross. We thought kevlar was tough on the arm, not the wallet! Any suggestions?

ryohazuki222
10-06-2006, 09:22 AM
i think the trick is to find a soft, yet durable cross string.

when i used kevlar with gamma syn gut w/wearguard.. the kevlar would notch like crazy and then snap (funny how it was the kevlar that ended up breaking every time.... not the gamma...)

when I tried kevlar with x-one biphase... the kevlar looks completely unscathed. obviously, however, the biphase frays and frays and doesn't last too long.

So I would think there is some durable, yet soft string out there to solve this problem......

POGforEver
10-06-2006, 09:26 AM
If he's a big hitter, which I hope he is seeing how he's using kevlar, then its somewhat usual. I use kevlar hybrid in my POGs and they typically start to notch after a few hours of heavy, hard hitting play.

gotwheels
10-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have any suggestions for a more durable string set-up? Is there a more durable kevlar, maybe Ashaway? Thanks

Kevo
10-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Klipper Zyex might be a good cross. It's fairly soft and the outer wrap is pretty durable and smooth, so it shouldn't notch the kevlar too bad, and the kevlar shouldn't fray the zyex too quickly.