PDA

View Full Version : Ektelon Power Play Clone

ryohazuki222
10-06-2006, 10:46 AM
I finally tried out my prince syn gut soft (aka ektelon power play) as a cross in a hybrid with sppp mains.

It was amazing! The best initial experience i've ever had with a string job. Spin was incredible. The power was just right. And most importantly... my racket felt great!!! (i use a tt warrior mp.)

The feeling when hitting the ball is hard to describe. It wasn't harsh at all. It felt soft... but at the same time crisp. It had a raw feeling to it as well. When I hit the ball it was as if i could actually feel the ball rolling along the stringbed.

I've only played with it once so far... but hopefully it plays the same this weekend. If it does... then I've found what seems very likely to be my "holy grail"

The problem is with the cross string though... I found them at a great deal (a little under $2.25 a pack.) and only have a limited supply. Buying ektelon power play for $6 a pop is a bit more than i'd like to pay... not to mention that it doesn't come in reel form (as far as i'm aware.)

So what are comparable strings to ektelon power play? I've read that it is classified something like a "nonmulti soft syn gut"

Lastly... if anyone has played with both... how does it compare with wilson sensation (which i've been considering for quite some time based on reviews and price.)

EDIT:

Once I get more sppp, I plan on comparing it to a hybrid with gosen og micro to see how similar it plays. Though, from what I've read, I think I may get closer to what I want with the sheep micro or the JC.

For now though, I'd very much appreciate any and all suggestions!

Valjean
10-06-2006, 11:54 AM
The Gosen strings you named are all at the other end of the continuum. Prince Original is the next step away from the Ektelon setup, is the closest thing to it nowadays in that price range. Also worth consideration, though, is Toa's Silencer.

Ripper
10-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Dude, you found your HG and you're complaining about a couple of bucks?

steve s
10-06-2006, 01:44 PM
forten sweet at $3 makes for a nice soft cross.

ryohazuki222
10-08-2006, 01:18 PM
thanks for the responses.

@steve..... do you know if forten sells that string in reel form? I did a bit of searching and didn't come up with any positive results.

PBODY99
10-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Yes they come in Sweet reels.

Stan
10-09-2006, 04:49 AM
The Power Play makes for a terrific cross with polys because it is a soft playing solid core string. I have been preaching this for years. Alternately the LaserFibre Classic Synthetic Gut is very soft, virtually a clone of the Power Play. Other soft solid cores that work well include the Signum Pro Ultra Power SF and the Signum Pro Topspin SF. SF stans for "Super Flex" and it equates to a softer playing string.

ryohazuki222
10-19-2006, 04:17 PM
@pbody.... i've searched but can't seem to find any reels of forten sweet... could you point me in the right direction?

@stan.... thanks for the advice... thought i can't seem to find to many places that carry the strings mentioned though. I was interested in trying signums syn gut strings... but don't know where to get them in the US. I just emailed laserfibre about their string... i hope they respond soon...

Does anyone have any more advice on what soft synthetic strings there are out there that are NOT multi filaments. (there's a topic on soft syn gut strings.... but the posts are mainly leaning in the direction of multis...)

btw, Any comments about how soft solid core strings compare to wilson sensation as a cross?

max
10-19-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm a major fan of Ektelon Power Play.

ryohazuki222
10-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Experiment #1:

After physically comparing the strings i own... the gosen micro FELT the softest.... closest to the prince syn gut soft... though not as soft....

I strung it up as a hybrid again... this time with the micro 17g crosses instead of the prince syn gut soft..... hit with it.... and i have to admit... it didnt feel nearly as good on day one as before. I mean... it's still a decent set-up in its own right..... but i didnt like it nearly as much...

I just ordered some strings from TW a couple days ago to try out...

Forten Synthetic Gut Sweet 16, Ashaway Liberty Synthetic Gut 16, Tecnifibre E-Matrix 16, Prince Original Synthetic Gut 16, Gosen OG Micro 16

I went ahead and bought the gosen in 16g... to see if the guage made any difference to me... since i liked the 16g prince syn gut soft (i also have it in 17g... but i dont even know anywhere i can buy 17g power play... so i decided theres no hurry at all to try that out.....)

anyway... i still welcome any feedback/suggestions

...and laserfibre still hasnt emailed me back about the strings.... anyone know where to get them?

ryohazuki222
10-24-2006, 07:35 AM
For anyone that's interested, Laserfibre emailed me back this morning:

"Thanks for the inquiry.

To start, the Prince Syn Gut Soft and LaserFibre Classic are not the same in
construction.. but you will find them similar in softness. The LaserFibre
Classic was redesigned 6 or 7 years ago to provide a softer, more elastic
"feel" upon ball impact (somewhat like a multi fiber string), yet still
provide an element of resilient "pop" as the ball exits the stringbed (more
like a Classic would feel like). While the LF Classic is a solid core
construction, the core itself is not typical. There is a specific "grain" to
the material that makes up the core. It is striated in order to allow it to
flex more without being spongy.

The intent was to soften the impact for very stiff and very light frames
without giving the player the typical "trampoline" response associated with
good quality multi's.

We know you will find the tension maintanence of the LF Classic to
out-perform the Prince string by quite a lot.

You can order directly from LaserFibre by calling toll free 1.888.895.2350.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,"