PDA

View Full Version : Where do you take your ball machine?

splink779
10-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Those of you that use them, where and when do you use them? I would imagine it is not so easy to use them on public courts where you make huge messes with balls rolling everywhere. And not everyone has a private backyard court. I'm thinking of getting one but I just don't see myslef finding a good place to use it.

ffrpg
10-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Public courts. There aren't very many options.

SpinItIn
10-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Public courts, and a couple of the local high school courts outside of their regular varsity season. I'm a morning person during the week so I just get up early on the weekend too and beat the crowd. I have noticed that it seems easier to roll out of the rack to go hit balls than it does to go to work :)

When there are others around (e.g. weekday evenings) I just try to get one of the end courts and hit mostly crosscourt toward the corners. Requires moving the machine & switching ends occasionally, but seems a lot more courteous than continuously rolling balls into the adjacent court.

dcottrill
10-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Don't have a machine yet, but when I do, I'll be taking it to public courts. It's amazing how many nice courts there are around here with nobody on them.

darkblue
10-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Those of you that use them, where and when do you use them? I would imagine it is not so easy to use them on public courts where you make huge messes with balls rolling everywhere. And not everyone has a private backyard court. I'm thinking of getting one but I just don't see myslef finding a good place to use it.

out of the garage...roll it for 300ft.... for now. i don't foresee this good life continuing tho.

i would just get a corner court (1 side is a fence) and construct my workouts such that it would not go "all over".
having a ball machine and being able to work out when you can, is such an advantage.

varuscelli
10-10-2006, 01:48 PM
I had been using the local high school courts late in the day during the summer. Now that school's back in session, the students are often on the courts after school, but since there are 10 courts, there are often empty ones on one end or the other. I always pick a corner court and scattering is not such a problem that way. But if courts were full, it would definitely be a problem.

Gonna start using my fitness center courts soon (we have five courts available there) and luckily for me I can generally pick times when the courts aren't being used by others. But I have more flex time in my job than most people do, so I have a bit of an advantage that way in that I can choose to use the machine during slow times of day.

MasterTS
10-10-2006, 02:53 PM
It's not much of a mess. When I pratice serves I have about 80 balls all around the court and takes a good 5-10 minutes to pick up.

With a ball machine you'll have a buncha balls all on one side with a few at the net. No one will bother ya!

WhiteSox05CA
10-16-2006, 03:46 PM
You could take it to a club that has nets set up between the courts so none of yours will leave your court. Also, look for a set of courts in your area that maybe only has two tennis courts, and usually isn't occupied.
________
Side effects from prilosec (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/prilosec/)

Ronaldo
10-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Have high school courts with eight courts grouped into twos with each fenced-in with windscreens. Can park next to the court. Also have a pvt club with a end court with full length curtains to keep from chasing balls. Must drive about three miles to these courts. Have about 50-55 courts within 4 miles, 20 clay courts. Learned to leave the ball machine off the clay courts.