PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Stretch, or Don't Pre-Stretch?

Will888
10-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Hey I was wondering if it is good to pre-stretch a polyester string, synthetic guy or natural gut. Or if it's good to just string it at it is? And what are the pros and cons? thanks a alot;)

Richie Rich
10-08-2006, 03:37 AM
POLY
no point in pre stretching poly as the only benefit would be to take away some of the coil memory. i don't bother.

MULTI
i give them a light pre stretch. don't over do it as you can take all the elasticity out of the string and they will feel boardy when you string it up. i've found that if you don't pre stretch a multi by the end of the first set they are like trampolines (most of them anyway)

SOLID CORE SYN GUT
same as poly. i don't bother pre stretching

NAT GUT
very, very light pre stretch to help with the coil memory. less than a multi. some people don't pre stretch gut, some do. i think it's personal preference here.

Will888
10-08-2006, 07:47 AM
So pre-stretching just taks away the coil memory? Is that a big benifit to take away that? And what are effects of doing so?

Richie Rich
10-08-2006, 10:29 AM
pre-stretching a poly just takes away some coil memory. doesn't do anything to help with tension loss. try it - you don't get any give from the string.

pre-stretching is only useful with multi's, IMO. pre-stretching a multi takes away the coil memory and also helps with tension maintenance - a multi that is pre-stretched will not lose as much tension (when strung) as a multi that hasn't been pre-stretched.

Koz
10-08-2006, 11:26 AM
I prestretch any string. It'll be easier to string with a prestretched string, because it'll have less coil memory. It also will take less to tension the string. I can see a difference on my dropweight stringer especially. A prestretched string wont have the tensioner arm slowly creeping its way down as the string stretches. For electronic machines it's a little bit less of an issue, as the computer compensates for the stretch. However, either way you have to wait for the tensioner to stop moving/compensating. This takes less time with a prestretched string.

In real life, the string will still stretch and settle after the stringjob. The more elasticity you take out of it beforehand, the less it'll have to do on its own later.

Chicken Neck
10-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I agree with Richie Rich. Did you ever notice how much shorter the pull is to achieve a given tension with a poly than it is to get the same tension with a multi?

nalex
10-08-2006, 04:39 PM
i used to stretch my strings before stringing but got lazy since i really didn't notice much difference other than with multi like richie said.

my coach never bothered to stretch strings before stringing and so i don't bother with that anymore.

if you're really concerned about maintaining tension then go for it but otherwise, it's no biggie, at least not to me.

PBODY99
10-08-2006, 06:01 PM
I pre strech multis and gut, to make them easier to handle.

NoBadMojo
10-08-2006, 06:41 PM
There are also degrees of prestretching to consider, in addition to whether to prestretch or not. For instance, I think different gut strings and multi's benefit by knowing how much to prestretch. A premium gut like Klip Legend can be ruined by too vigourous a prestretch, but benefits from a mild prestretch. In addition to prestretching gut and multis, i think many solid core strings benefit the most by prestretching...strings like OGSheep or any really springy string. This is a benefit of finding a quality stringer

Steve Huff
10-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Most gut manufacturers don't recommend prestretching any more. I don't, and I haven't noticed any difference. I used to all the time. On the other hand, I think it makes more difference on whether you use a constant pull or lockout machine. Most of the tension loss occurs very quickly after tension is pulled. A constant pull machine normally takes up the "creep" very quickly. A lockout machine doesn't. That's why a constant pull machine averages about a 10% tighter overall stringbed than a lockout. So, some prestretching might benefit those who string on a lockout more than those who use a constant pull machine.

Will888
10-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Most gut manufacturers don't recommend prestretching any more. I don't, and I haven't noticed any difference. I used to all the time. On the other hand, I think it makes more difference on whether you use a constant pull or lockout machine. Most of the tension loss occurs very quickly after tension is pulled. A constant pull machine normally takes up the "creep" very quickly. A lockout machine doesn't. That's why a constant pull machine averages about a 10% tighter overall stringbed than a lockout. So, some prestretching might benefit those who string on a lockout more than those who use a constant pull machine.

i have a constant pull machine (gamma) so I probably don't need to pre-stretch because it takes up the "creep".