PDA

View Full Version : Head tape?

Tennis Man
10-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Does anyone really use head tape? I haven't seen anyone at my club but I'm considering trying it. Is it really useful?

Keifers
10-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Years ago, I remember, we used to put head tape on our racquets routinely.

Certainly, it protects the bumper guard ( and the frame, if you go all the way to 3:00 and 9:00).

I stopped doing the head tape thing when I realized that the new bumpers did a pretty good job of protecting the racquet and they were made wider and made of nice slippery plastic material.

Recently, I've added some head tape to one of my PS 85s -- not for protection, but in order to alter the way it swings and how it feels on impact (more solid). All the way from 3:00 to 9:00.

You might like to try it...

Tennis Man
10-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Years ago, I remember, we used to put head tape on our racquets routinely.

Certainly, it protects the bumper guard ( and the frame, if you go all the way to 3:00 and 9:00).

I stopped doing the head tape thing when I realized that the new bumpers did a pretty good job of protecting the racquet and they were made wider and made of nice slippery plastic material.

Recently, I've added some head tape to one of my PS 85s -- not for protection, but in order to alter the way it swings and how it feels on impact (more solid). All the way from 3:00 to 9:00.

You might like to try it...

Thanks Keifers. That's exacrly why I wanted to get it. Actually both of my Wlsons getting "abused" around the head and near the bumper (all the cracks and paint chips) b/c I love picking up tennis balls with my racquets (terrible habit)

Fishbulb
10-07-2006, 06:24 PM
I use Wilson Head Tape. Its pretty good, seems like it's protecting the head.
I just bought an nsix one tour, and i dont want it to get scratched up, as i also pick up balls with my racquet.

Tennis Man
10-07-2006, 07:01 PM
I use Wilson Head Tape. Its pretty good, seems like it's protecting the head.
I just bought an nsix one tour, and i dont want it to get scratched up, as i also pick up balls with my racquet.

have you tried other brands? just curious if there's a difference ..

Clintspin
10-07-2006, 07:13 PM
I think the head tape from Klippermate works better than most brands and is cheaper. Luxilon also has a good brand. Luxilon comes in white and Klippermate black. UA Strings also have a decent and low cost head tape.

Fishbulb
10-07-2006, 07:14 PM
have you tried other brands? just curious if there's a difference ..

No i havent, i wouldnt expect much of a difference though. The only bad thing about the wilson is that its 32mm wide. So you have to cut it.

Swissv2
10-07-2006, 07:22 PM
I use the babolat tape over my racquets. After 2 straight months of playing every day for 4-5 hours my racquets looks like this. Very very minimal scratching - and the stringer even commentated about the condition and asked me if I had bought new racquets. I even pick up the balls off the ground, scrape them when I reach for a ball, swipe the ground, etc etc. The tape gets messed up, then I just put new tape on.

http://www.myitemlister.com/kodak/ncode_c1.jpg

http://www.myitemlister.com/kodak/ncode_c2.jpg

Tennis Man
10-07-2006, 07:40 PM
No i havent, i wouldnt expect much of a difference though. The only bad thing about the wilson is that its 32mm wide. So you have to cut it.

TW only offers 1" tape from Babolat, Unique and Gamma. I am getting Unique for now.

Tennis Man
10-07-2006, 07:42 PM
I use the babolat tape over my racquets. After 2 straight months of playing every day for 4-5 hours my racquets looks like this. Very very minimal scratching - and the stringer even commentated about the condition and asked me if I had bought new racquets. I even pick up the balls off the ground, scrape them when I reach for a ball, swipe the ground, etc etc. The tape gets messed up, then I just put new tape on.

This is neat. I'm sold on Babolat tape now :)

Keifers
10-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks Keifers. That's exacrly why I wanted to get it. Actually both of my Wlsons getting "abused" around the head and near the bumper (all the cracks and paint chips) b/c I love picking up tennis balls with my racquets (terrible habit)
You're welcome, Rafaello.

I use the 1" tape made by Gamma and Babolat

The cloth-type (not the shiny-finish, plastic-y type) -- nice and flexible, and sticks really well.

Swissv2
10-07-2006, 08:49 PM
This is neat. I'm sold on Babolat tape now :)

hope it works for you. A tip; try to cover a bit more of your racquet head like so (below) that prevents the scratching of the tops when you pick up balls.

http://www.myitemlister.com/kodak/ncode2/16.jpg

Virgilio
10-08-2006, 02:53 AM
Does anyone really use head tape? I haven't seen anyone at my club but I'm considering trying it. Is it really useful?

Hi use them. Use the babolat ones, which I think are by far the best ones around. Useful? Using always an overgrip and the head tape, when I went in to give away my racquets for other racquets in my local shop, the almost valued my old ones as new, since the head tape almost protected them from any scretch there could be. If you don't mind it from a looking point of view, I'd definitely go for them.

Just a consideration, I restring about once every 8 months, so if you restring very often (like every 2 weeks) you'll have to remove it and that would add extra cost to the whole thing, so keep this in consideration.

Clintspin
10-08-2006, 03:41 AM
Can you see in the pictures how the Babolot tape bunches with creasing at the top of the head. You don't get that with the Klippermate or Luxilon tapes. They also stick much better.

Tennis Man
10-08-2006, 03:55 AM
Can you see in the pictures how the Babolot tape bunches with creasing at the top of the head. You don't get that with the Klippermate or Luxilon tapes. They also stick much better.

I don't think it's too bad ... It depends on how you apply it. I'd probably flatten it better with my finger nail :)

Thanks, Swissv2. This is a great picture.

Nextman916
10-08-2006, 07:41 AM
So does head tape alter the feel of the racquet much? It shouldnt weigh that much should it? Probably like 1g for the whole application from 3 to 9???

Tennis Man
10-08-2006, 09:20 AM
So does head tape alter the feel of the racquet much? It shouldnt weigh that much should it? Probably like 1g for the whole application from 3 to 9???

It does alter the swing weight a bit. I used to put a duct tape on my older racquet's head from 3 to 9 o'clock and felt a bit heavier to swing but not by much. The head tape is pretty light, isn't it?

TripleB
10-08-2006, 10:23 AM
I use Gamma Guard Clear Head Tape....does a fantastic job of protecting the racquet and since it's clear it doesn't detract for the look of the racquet.

TripleB

Voltron
10-08-2006, 10:36 AM
I always use tape, it definatly helps.

Voltron

PBODY99
10-08-2006, 05:49 PM
I split the tape lenghtwise when i apply it so that the tape doesn't ahve to be removed when I re-string my frame.:cool:

Tennis Man
10-08-2006, 06:11 PM
I split the tape lenghtwise when i apply it so that the tape doesn't ahve to be removed when I re-string my frame.:cool:

Thanks, another god idea. Got pics? The only problem with the split tape is that it wouldn't stay there as long as one piece.

Virgilio
10-09-2006, 10:23 AM

Babolat sticks perfectly. Never seen bunches that couldn't just be pushed with the finger and stay there forever. Moreover Babolat is a little elastic, and I think this is the reason that prevented my racquet from scratching.