PDA

View Full Version : What does SPPP feel like when it's gone dead?

armand
10-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Right now it feels like the 17 gauge in my 001 is of a thicker gauge than the 16 gauge in my Ti-80. Dunno if this is because I customized my racquet.

Anyway, it still plays great, but I don't want to keep wondering, so any info would be helpful. Thanks much.

Midlife crisis
10-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Right now it feels like the 17 gauge in my 001 is of a thicker gauge than the 16 gauge in my Ti-80. Dunno if this is because I customized my racquet.

Anyway, it still plays great, but I don't want to keep wondering, so any info would be helpful. Thanks much.

I've played the 1.29 SPPP for as long as 40-50 hours. The change in elasticity is pretty gradual and not that noticeable, but right near the end I seemed to have a little bit of elbow/wrist irritation after playing, and seemed to have lost a little bit of ball control consistency. When I replaced the strings with the same 1.29 SPPP, it clearly felt softer, more consistent, and more powerful. I've since made it a general rule to change it out after about 40 hours or so, which is around two months or so for me.

Richie Rich
10-08-2006, 03:33 AM
I've played the 1.29 SPPP for as long as 40-50 hours. The change in elasticity is pretty gradual and not that noticeable, but right near the end I seemed to have a little bit of elbow/wrist irritation after playing, and seemed to have lost a little bit of ball control consistency. When I replaced the strings with the same 1.29 SPPP, it clearly felt softer, more consistent, and more powerful. I've since made it a general rule to change it out after about 40 hours or so, which is around two months or so for me.

40 hours is good. i usually notice the performance and feel drop of at about 20 hours - but I haven't hit with SPPP yet. i'll have to string my racquet up with it next and see how long i get.

jonolau
10-08-2006, 07:07 AM
I've a reel of SPPP 17L. If you only use it on one racquet, the change in feel may be too gradual for some to notice a significant difference. However, if you're in tune with it reaching the end of its life, you'll find that it begins to play like a trampoline with balls starting to spray around, and have a slight bit of trouble with directional control.

armand
10-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the response dudes. Wow, 50 hours!

Steve Huff
10-08-2006, 08:30 PM
I haven't noticed a significant drop in play, but the strings get notched and begin to move more.

armand
10-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Aye, I wanted to ask about string movement. Do the strings begin to move as the life of the strings go on? Is the movement tension related? I have my 001 90 strung at 61.5lbs and I don't think the strings would move unless there was a really big drop in tension but I dunno.

Please shed light, somebody

Midlife crisis
10-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Aye, I wanted to ask about string movement. Do the strings begin to move as the life of the strings go on? Is the movement tension related? I have my 001 90 strung at 61.5lbs and I don't think the strings would move unless there was a really big drop in tension but I dunno.

Please shed light, somebody

You're talking about SPPP, right? I've noticed that after about 15-20 hours, they start to move a little bit, enough to notice but not enough to need straightening. After about 40 hours or so, they start to slide around a little bit more, and then I'll straighten the strings every couple of minutes. It's about that time when I cut the strings out. On my racquet, I use 67 or 68 pounds of tension in a 115 sq. in. head.

armand
10-27-2006, 06:30 AM
Wow Midlife, thanks for all your help today! I owe you a 12 pack :cool:

Midlife crisis
10-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Wow Midlife, thanks for all your help today! I owe you a 12 pack :cool:

Nah, you can do me a favor by trying Kirschbaum P2 after using SPPP and telling me what you think about it. Tennis Warehouse has it for $9.30 a pack, only $.40 more than SPPP.