PDA

View Full Version : Places to get racquets strung in NYC

p0w3r
10-08-2006, 01:10 PM
I know theres quite a few new york city members on here so i was wondering where you guys get your racquets strung. the place i go to currently is a racquet club in fort lee, nj but they refuse to do hybrid string jobs:neutral:. So where do you guys get your racquets strung and how much does it cost?

tennisnj
10-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Power, I live in Bergen County as well & there are a ton of clubs who will string your racquet for you, regardless if you are a member, or rent court time.
Why not try Tennis Outlet in Hackensack? They do the best stringing job of anyone in the area. They're pricey, but not as awful as some places. (Just bring your own strings to save a bundle, & DONT buy anything in the store, you can find it cheaper on TW).
If you don't want to go to TO, there are quite a few other reputable places I could recommend. (Not Sports Authority), & I'm sure people @ the club know of stringers who have their own machines @ home who will do hybrids. I string my own, but if I have to outsource, or don't have the time to do my own, I would say Tennis Outlet.
I've never heard of a club stringer who won't do hybrids. Unless s/he isn't certified, & doesn't want to take a chance w/customers.

Email me or communicate here if you want other places to go.

p0w3r
10-08-2006, 06:12 PM
hi, thanks for replying. I always strung at the Fort Lee Racquet club and they always did a one piece string job for me. I dont think they are certified but they do a decent job. I do bring my own string, do you have any idea how much they charge and do any other places come to mind? thanks.

nyc
10-08-2006, 06:17 PM
I get mine strung at P a r a g o n on Union Square. They do Hybrid jobs as well.
Not cheap, but what is in NYC?

I've never tried Mason's on 53rd (?), it's too out of the way for me.
My guess you'll get the best job at RPNY Tennis on 51st, but haven't used them either.

Phil
10-09-2006, 05:05 AM
I get mine strung at P a r a g o n on Union Square. They do Hybrid jobs as well.
Not cheap, but what is in NYC?

I've never tried Mason's on 53rd (?), it's too out of the way for me.
My guess you'll get the best job at RPNY Tennis on 51st, but haven't used them either.

I used to go to Grand Central Stringing...not even sure if it still exists.

tennisnj
10-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Power, I know the places I've gone to near Ft. Lee RC (in NJ) charge no more than $20 if you bring your own string (for a regular string job). I'd assume whether hybrid or not. I can't say for sure, b/c I do my own stringing & the only place I've gotten a hybrid done w/my own string was Tennis Outlet & that was $19.

thebosher
10-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Tennis Outlet wont do a hybrid for me, I have tried asking the guy Harry there and he says they dont do that.

tennisnj
10-09-2006, 03:59 PM
I was just there in August & Harry did a hybrid for me. Harry strings the racquets I don't have a chance to do for my team, so that could be why he did a hybrid for me personally. I know in the past Harry & the other stringers have had problems w/customers bringing in their own string & having it break on the machine b/c it was old, but other than that, I don't understand why he'd tell you one thing, & me another.

jj300
10-09-2006, 07:07 PM
p0w3r,

shoot me an e-mail. gfinger32@yahoo.com

rasajadad
10-25-2006, 04:54 AM
Another vote for Grand Central. They have a shop in Grand Central as well as a store above ground on 43rd (or 44th) St. between Vanderbilt & Madison Aves.

TheRed
10-25-2006, 04:59 AM
I'd do it for $15 labor. I live in jersey city and have been stringing for 15 years.

strcmp
10-25-2006, 05:20 AM
I'd do it for $15 as well. I live on the border of Ft. Lee less than 5 min from Ft lee Racquet Club.

Email me if interested
d3vil [at] yahoo.com