PDA

View Full Version : What's the "latest" you've broken a string while stringing?

TonyB
10-08-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm sure this has to be close to a record, but I just had a new set of SPPP snap right at 4T just as I was threading the 3rd last cross.

40 minutes and $9 down the drain.

Sucks.

I guess I could understand if I were up in the 60 lb. range, but I'm right at 50 lb. on the tension. Amazing.

Court_Jester
10-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Check the grommet at the 4T location inside and out. Check also if you're kinking the SPPP during stringing. The clamps and the tensioning head/gripper might need to be checked also.

tennis-skater
10-08-2006, 02:51 PM
dude i just did the same thing 2 hours ago!! on the same machine!! thats so weird i was freaked out it snapped off and cut my wrist when i grabbed a pack of super smash spikey i was so careful it really ****ed me off though because everyone talked about it being the best string and im nervous to buy it again incase it snaps

TonyB
10-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Well, I did restring it with the same string. No problems this time around.

I also had it previously strung with the same string, but it broke after 3 hours of play right at 2T, directly at the bottom of the throat piece.

tennis-skater
10-08-2006, 05:22 PM
good luck with it i havent had a perfect stringing yet =[ i just finished another one of my rackets with some 2$ synthetic and i thought it was perfect but when i was taking it off the string had gotten wrapped around one of the mounts during stringing so i have to cut it out

Steve Huff
10-08-2006, 07:16 PM
I don't know about breaking it late, but I came up about 3" short once. What a pain!

psamp14
10-08-2006, 07:29 PM
oh i was about to do the final tie-off, and the string was just a bit too short...what a pity...even though i only take usually 20-25 mins now

Kevo
10-08-2006, 07:51 PM
I've not broken a string while stringing yet, but I did mismount a frame once when I was in a hurry. Didn't notice until I got to the skip holes. Had to unlace it and start over. Bummer.

Davai
10-08-2006, 08:36 PM
I don't know about breaking it late, but I came up about 3" short once. What a pain!

That's the worst. I ended up stringing the mains, not too long ago, with just enough string to do a single half hitch knot on one side. I could have balanced it out but I just didn't have time and since it was poly I let it go. For the crosses I got so scared that I cut about two feet more than needed.

snoflewis
10-08-2006, 08:49 PM

was that the mains or the crosses? if it was the crosses, it probably would have been pretty frustrating