PDA

View Full Version : half full or half empty?

tangoll
10-08-2006, 10:04 PM
One of my two Prince More Perf Approach racquets is strung with Toalson Hybrid KV 135 (Kevlar coated hybrid 15g for mains/ poly 16 g for cross strings) and it plays quite well, good pop, control. Cost of strings plus stringing was US$22 in Hong Kong.

For my other racquet, I was thinking to try natural gut, but cheapest is Pacific at US$40 including stringing. The shop suggested to try Pacific gut 16 g for mains, and Head ultra nylon 17 g for crosses, cost US$28.

So, my question, with only half gut, do you get half of the feel of the racquet strung with all gut, or because the racquet is not fully strung with gut, do you lose out completely and don't get any of the feeling of gut? I've never tried playing with gut before, and just want to try it out, and US$40 a pop seems a stiff price to pay if gut doesn't last so long.

Before, my racquets were strung with Prince synthetic gut US$16 including stringing, and they would last 6 - 9 months before I would restring.

BigServer1
10-08-2006, 10:17 PM
If you are only stringing every 6-9 months, I would go full gut. Gut retains tension the best, and it'll play better and longer for you. If you are dead set on a hybrid, gut mains with "whatever" crosses give you the feel of about 75% gut, 25% whatever is in the crosses.

tangoll
10-20-2006, 06:36 PM
So I strung my Prince More Approach with Pacific Natural Gut on mains 16 guage and Head Ultra Tour 17 guage on crosses. Played once, doubles, and within a week, the gut snapped, not during playing, but just while racquet was hanging on a hook at home. No rain, no extreme temperatures. Tennis shop refused to restring for free, saying with gut, sometimes this happens. So I'm restringing with Prince Pro Blend hybrid, 16 guage, discounted price US$19.

My experiment with gut is finito, cost US$28. Was the problem that I used gut on the mains? Should I have put the gut on crosses?

LoveThisGame
10-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Gut on the mains is just fine. Gut is a natural, rather than man-made product, so warranties often are not made. It IS unusual for gut to break that quick, so ...

Regarding half-empty vs. half-full and with respect to a glass, there is a third alternative which I've heard: you may have the wrong size glass;).

Sorry, I couldn't resist and it is not directed to your situation.