PDA

View Full Version : Flatter Tennis Balls - Better or Worse

Fishbulb
10-08-2006, 11:58 PM
I noticed that playing with slightly flatter balls give more feel, and better and more accurate shots. I was wondering who plays better or worse with flatter tennis balls?

I can rip forehands and backhands with a massive pop with flatter balls.

Duzza
10-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Yeah you can hit a lot easier, but not as powerful and shocking bounces.

slack hack
10-09-2006, 12:39 AM
Yeah but when it comes to match play.....
Maybe you could try stringing tighter to flatten the ball out more at impact.

tennisphotog
10-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Much better for contol, long rallies, result, real exercise!

Ronaldo
10-09-2006, 08:57 AM
I noticed that playing with slightly flatter balls give more feel, and better and more accurate shots. I was wondering who plays better or worse with flatter tennis balls?

I can rip forehands and backhands with a massive pop with flatter balls.

Just needle 'em. But whatcha gonna do when someone opens a can of fresh fishbait and you play a match? Btw, good way to injure your arm too.

psamp14
10-09-2006, 09:00 AM
i really didnt know what to vote for but flatter balls certainly make for faster shots and more aces!

ceejay
10-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Why would having a flatter ball result in a faster/better shot? I can't really understand that. Personally, I like brand new tennis balls. Everything feels crisper.

darkblue
10-09-2006, 01:32 PM
WORSE feel and WORSE shots....

Serve: new balls give me more pace, more kick on 2nd svc.
Grd: more pace, more spin - able to hurt my opponent more

snoflewis
10-09-2006, 01:48 PM
i think we need to redefine DEAD and FLAT.

imo, a flat ball is one that was bouncy to begin with but lost some pressure over time. this still allows the ball to bounce very well, but now it's just a little lighter, thus enabling players to hit faster balls.

a dead ball from my point of view is one that goes absolutely no where and has no feel.

nViATi
10-09-2006, 02:01 PM
How about worse for everything?

Supernatural_Serve
10-09-2006, 02:17 PM
used or dead balls means you will hit and get shorter balls with lower bounce and less velocity and slice will bounce lower too

all other things being equal.

I always play matches with new balls because I am always prepared even if its not my turn/expected to bring the balls. And if I play (would play) a competitive match with used or dead balls, then I would hit a lot more slice balls, a few more drop shots, less sharp angle top spin, and a few more flat balls, and I would also serve to the body more relying on more slice and less kick.

Also, these kind of balls tend to stay on the court, so I expect longer rallies which I don't want either.

Its not so much a better/worse thing. Its that I have to play differently, expect different balls from my opponent, and play like I'm hitting practice balls with my hitting coach. I have to deal with my share of used or dead balls with him during drills - freaking giant basket on wheels full of "club" balls usually suck except after the club has a major tournament.