PDA

View Full Version : Break-in question / Alpha 2000

Craig Sheppard
03-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Hi, I really, really like Alpha Gut 2000. I notice quite a bit of difference though after I've played about 2 or 3 sets on a new string job. The string becomes softer and more powerful, and I enjoy it even more. I use a Fischer Pro Extreme FT strung at 59 lbs.

My question is about what I'm feeling--is it as a result of a drop off in tension, or is it a result of the string getting "broken in"? So the correlative question is, if I drop the tension a few pounds, say to 55, would I get the same feeling fresh off the stringer?

I realize it's not hard to experiment, I probably will. I just hate wasting the time/money on strings to just go out and string it up w/o getting some feedback first.

Thanks!
Craig

Rabbit
03-08-2004, 04:52 AM
You could, but then after a few sets, you would have a string job that you weren't very satisfied with. It really all depends on how long the string job lasts you after the initial break in. If it's a little tight for two sets and last 8 more, then you've probably got a good deal. However, if it lasts one set after a two set break in, you may want to drop the tension. I'd probably leave things as they are.

Momo
03-08-2004, 07:41 AM
I'm pretty sure different strings may have different break in properties. I know that my Forten Aramid Gear (kevlar hybrid) plays like a plywood board when freshly strung but by the end of the first hour or so of hitting, the change in feeling is quite dramatic and it feels softer, while retaining a crispness about it. Once it loses it's plywood feel, it keeps it's tension pretty well until one of those wussy synth gut crosses snaps... although I did manage to pop the kevlar main on the racquet first... once. Anyways, back to your question. Like Rabbit said, if the tightness lasts only a short while compared to the total life of the string and if the period after the tightness gives you a pretty consistent feeling until the string breaks, you've got a keeper. If not, you may have a string that isn't good at holding tension and so it constantly keeps getting looser and looser. At some point, the tension range will fall into a range that works well for you, but afterwards, it will drop below that range and turn your racquet into an uncontrollable rocket launcher. If the heavens smile upon you, the string will die soon after in a quick and merciful manner.
Amen.

Craig Sheppard
03-08-2004, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys, yes it definitely levels off after the initial break-in. So maybe it's just the break-in period of the string. It does last quite a while longer. First set or two isn't so great, but then it probably lasts a good 6 or 8 sets after that and plays brilliantly (for me at least). I'll probably leave it alone then.

Thanks for the tips.
Craig

Grimjack
03-08-2004, 02:45 PM
If you take your results seriously (i.e., if winning is the primary thing, and having the AG2000 "broken in" helps you do it), then just don't consider your restringing job "complete" until you get the racquet out and bang off the wall for an hour or so. By that time, it ought to settle in, and only then should it go into your playing rotation.

I do that when I string with most Lux strings. A freshly strung racquet is for emergency use only, until it's been broken in.