PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Stringing Combos- Need some help

SalvadorVeiga
10-09-2006, 09:19 AM
First of all let me introduce myself... I am a 20 year old and I have been playing tennis since I was 6 years old - although not for straight years... I took some time off a couple times... - I never gave too much attention to strings and that sort of things...whenever my strings broke I would just get the racket restrung no matter what; now that I've become more alert and conscious about my playing I want to try out some combinations, specially on hybring my racquet...I dont know what my rating is but I am a pretty good base hitter with lots of topspin I hit my forehands either with extreme western or western... I wanted to emphasize the spin potential, comfort, and control (power is not important since I can produce power of my own...)

These were the combos I am planning to use:

SPPP/ Nat Gut
SPP HEXastreme/ Nat Gut
Hurricane Pro Tour/ Nat Gut
Luxilon ALU rough/ Nat Gut
ISO Pyramid/ Nat Gut

Natural Gut for crosses is secondary but I don't know any similar strings to Nat Gut concerning on comfort, feel and control - I hope you can help me on that for alternatives that are cheaper than NAT GUT for my Crosses - besides the 'mains' issue do you feel these combos have good potential ? My stick is a Pure Drive Team and I usually string it at 27 kg... (i wanted to make my stick heavier also by around 10 grams... where should I put it for best control, and miinimum changes to swingweight 9 and 3 o'clock ? )

Thank you and sorry for my englishh ! eheh

Pusher
10-09-2006, 09:43 AM
First of all let me introduce myself... I am a 20 year old and I have been playing tennis since I was 6 years old - although not for straight years... I took some time off a couple times... - I never gave too much attention to strings and that sort of things...whenever my strings broke I would just get the racket restrung no matter what; now that I've become more alert and conscious about my playing I want to try out some combinations, specially on hybring my racquet...I dont know what my rating is but I am a pretty good base hitter with lots of topspin I hit my forehands either with extreme western or western... I wanted to emphasize the spin potential, comfort, and control (power is not important since I can produce power of my own...)

These were the combos I am planning to use:

SPPP/ Nat Gut
SPP HEXastreme/ Nat Gut
Hurricane Pro Tour/ Nat Gut
Luxilon ALU rough/ Nat Gut
ISO Pyramid/ Nat Gut

Natural Gut for crosses is secondary but I don't know any similar strings to Nat Gut concerning on comfort, feel and control - I hope you can help me on that for alternatives that are cheaper than NAT GUT for my Crosses - besides the 'mains' issue do you feel these combos have good potential ? My stick is a Pure Drive Team and I usually string it at 27 kg... (i wanted to make my stick heavier also by around 10 grams... where should I put it for best control, and miinimum changes to swingweight 9 and 3 o'clock ? )

Thank you and sorry for my englishh ! eheh

Most any of the synthetic gut brands will do.

Babolat Conquest
Price synthetic
etc.

looseswing
10-09-2006, 10:09 AM
A cheap alternative to nat. gut is alpha gut, pretty cheap good feeling string.

SalvadorVeiga
10-09-2006, 11:09 AM
can you guys tell more brands ? since i don't know much about it... synth gut then such as Babolat Conquest and Alpha Gut... anymore that i should know with a good feel,comfort andcontrol ?

thanks for the help by the way guys...

Rabbit
10-09-2006, 11:18 AM
In the crosses, you're not going to be able to detect that much difference. You certainly won't detect the dollar difference. The recommendations made are good ones. I'd actually opt for the cheaper Alpha gut first to save yourself some money.

NYCEnglish
10-10-2006, 03:53 PM
I would try Gosen OG Sheep Micro on the crosses. It's an excellent gut alternative and very cheap.

However, I have also tried natural gut, and I swear it just feels better than anything else.

Johnsw92
10-10-2006, 05:31 PM
I would try some multifilaments like Wilson NXT or Babolat Xcel Premium theyre not as cheap as regular synthetic gut but alot cheaper than natural and they have great playability

Valjean
10-10-2006, 06:56 PM
It's not clear here just what you think hybrids are for. They're by and large just a second-best solution.

jonolau
10-11-2006, 11:42 AM
A cheap alternative to nat. gut is alpha gut, pretty cheap good feeling string.
I second looseswing on this. Alpha Gut 2000 is the cheapest multifilament you can find, and plays similarly, if not better, than other multis costing 2-3 times more.

looseswing
10-11-2006, 11:59 AM
I second looseswing on this. Alpha Gut 2000 is the cheapest multifilament you can find, and plays similarly, if not better, than other multis costing 2-3 times more.

Jon, I've played w/ the 16 of this string, but am thinking of buying a set of 18 because it is so cheap,and if it breaks won't matter. Do you have any thoughts on the 18?

jonolau
10-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Jon, I've played w/ the 16 of this string, but am thinking of buying a set of 18 because it is so cheap,and if it breaks won't matter. Do you have any thoughts on the 18?
Hi looseswing. The 18g defintely feels more lively than the 16g. You'll have great pop on groundstrokes and control is a notch up. I would suggest that you try both the 17g and 18g, and personal notes yourself. I personally like to get feel and feedback from strings and do not believe in being penny wise pound foolish (that is, to save money by having thicker strings which last longer, but lose the joy from playing with a livelier thinner gauge).

BTW, I've only bought 17 and 18. My customers seem to prefer 18 too.

looseswing
10-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I ordered a set of the 17 and a couple of the 18 recently, so I guess I'll get to compare soon as I break my current job.