PDA

View Full Version : Help, need more spin

BancroftFRS
10-09-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm using a Dunlop 200g HM. strung with 17g gut. Not synthetic gut. @ 55lbs.

55lbs is the low end of the range.

This setup works well for me, very accruate, plenty of power and arm friendly. There's really nothing I dislike about it except I am not able to get a lot of spin on the ball. I understand with the dense string pattern of the 200g spin will be limited versus an open string pattern.

So I guess the question is, will a different string impart better spin?

Voltron
10-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Use Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough, shitloads of spin.

jackson vile
10-09-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm using a Dunlop 200g HM. strung with 17g gut. Not synthetic gut. @ 55lbs.

55lbs is the low end of the range.

This setup works well for me, very accruate, plenty of power and arm friendly. There's really nothing I dislike about it except I am not able to get a lot of spin on the ball. I understand with the dense string pattern of the 200g spin will be limited versus an open string pattern.

So I guess the question is, will a different string impart better spin?

This is a great racket, play with it and hold on to it until it break

When I used this racket I had some type of kevlar that was soft in it, and I did not get much spin.

This is due to the head lightness/lack of weight in the head

Next ask yourself if it is a problem with yourself?

Finally I highly suggest you stay away from any strings that are firm ect ie any poly at all

You want a string that is soft and super thin, IMO Klip Legend gut 18g was low powered but still on the soft side, with a lot of spin, also a string that is very simular to this is biphase 18g.

Softest string that I have used to date is the Unique Irradiated 17g, must be 17g.

Other wise you could try adding lead to the hoop preferably at the tip.

Go check your racket out on Travlers SGPR formula to see where you are at.

But imo stock this racket is just plain not a spinner, I am a big time spin and I could not hit impressive spin with that racket due to how it's weighting.

However it was extremely stable and pin point, not for a basher rather for a all-court Roger type player that uses their brain not brawn to win games.

This racket serves extremely well, I used it 1 year ago, with I would have kept it, are are talking about the 95 not the 90 right?

LazyAzN
10-09-2006, 10:44 PM
hey jacksonvile, do you know any modifications I could to do make the HM dunlop 200g have more spin? Because that was exactly my problem!... It had no spin, so you had to hit with a pretty hard topspin to keep it in if you smash it. So then I switched to the LM radical which had a little more pop and swingweight, and it improved my game tremendously...

But since I just restrung my 200g, I'm wondering if there's a way for me to slowly move back to it.

jackson vile
10-10-2006, 10:59 AM
hey jacksonvile, do you know any modifications I could to do make the HM dunlop 200g have more spin? Because that was exactly my problem!... It had no spin, so you had to hit with a pretty hard topspin to keep it in if you smash it. So then I switched to the LM radical which had a little more pop and swingweight, and it improved my game tremendously...

But since I just restrung my 200g, I'm wondering if there's a way for me to slowly move back to it.

Some styles simply wont work with certain rackets, but IMO I would put as much lead as you can handle at the very tip of the racket.

That will increase spin, also using the thinest softest string possbile.

vinnier6
10-10-2006, 11:14 AM
i would bet on technique...

WhiteSox05CA
10-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Luxilon ALU Power ROUGH, also the Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour. I have not tried the Tour, but many people have reccomeded it to me.

Also a thinner string and/or a tighter tension if possible.
________
Portable vaporizers review (http://www.vaporizers.net/)

Clintspin
10-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Try a two piece string job keeping your gut and mixing in a spin string. There are lots of spin strings out there. Even if you have a racquet that is not great for spin, it should help.

bcsax123
10-10-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm sure it's technique. Natural gut has little fibers that come off the string which grips the ball well, like a spin string.

Try brushing up on the ball more.

gldnsthal
10-10-2006, 09:36 PM
maybe you need to check your grip and your follow thru of the ball contact

andrew_b
10-11-2006, 06:27 AM
I never got a lot of spin with the 200Gs I player (Revelation, MW, HM). I think it's the nature of the frame: the combination of the dense string pattern and the balance.

If you can handle added weight, "polarizing" it as Jackson Vile said may help some. I suspect trying different strings will only give marginal results, and you won't find anything with the feel of your full gut job, IMHO.

play well,
Andrew