PDA

View Full Version : How to string ?

SalvadorVeiga
10-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Hey everyone...

I've been looking for some stringers now in order to start stringing my frames on my own... I dont want to turn pro or anything just to save the money and maybe string frames to closefriends so the stringer pays itself a bit...the problem is i have no idea concerning stringing... I've been looking for threads the last hourt but couldn't find anything...can you guys lead me to a step by step ? where can i find instructions ? I own Pure Drive Babolats.. do stringing methods vary that much from racquet to racquet ?

Thanks and sorry for bothering you guys

tennis-skater
10-09-2006, 04:44 PM
heres a good site http://www.stringforum.net/stringingguide.php also if you go to sptennis.com they have a video that you can learn pretty easily i just started stringing friday its not too hard. btw i have a mutual power hercules 610 that i got for 320 with free shipping. www.mutualpower.net

SalvadorVeiga
10-09-2006, 04:53 PM
is that a good stringing machine ? by the way thanks so much for the links you gave...

you just started friday? wooow how were the stringjobs you've done ? did they turn out good ?

SalvadorVeiga
10-09-2006, 05:27 PM
are any of those sold in sptennis.com of anygood value ?

jonolau
10-09-2006, 06:27 PM
The way I started my first stringing job was to trace out the string pattern on my old racquet before cutting out the strings. From there you will know which holes to skip, where to tie the starting knot, where to tie the finishing knots etc.

After a while, the it all becomes second nature.

Court_Jester
10-09-2006, 06:34 PM
are any of those sold in sptennis.com of anygood value ?
Silent Partner is a reputable company. All of their machines are quality-made. However, if you're planning on stringing lots of racquets, you may want to steer away from their cheaper electronic machines since they're not designed for such high-volume work.

Try doing a search on this forum to get a better idea of what other people think of their machines.

SalvadorVeiga
10-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Silent Partner is a reputable company. All of their machines are quality-made. However, if you're planning on stringing lots of racquets, you may want to steer away from their cheaper electronic machines since they're not designed for such high-volume work.

Try doing a search on this forum to get a better idea of what other people think of their machines.

No I dont intend to take it professional...just to string some rackets like my own and maybe some friend's... which one is better choice the ones with electric motor ( one of the cheap options in sptennis.com - 250 dollars i guess) or the manual kind ? (its like 220 i think)

thevillageidiot
10-09-2006, 11:45 PM
i got the gamma x-2, which i think is a very good starting tabletop stringing machine at only around $135. but if you have the money, go for something with fixed clamps and/or multiple mounting points.

jonolau
10-10-2006, 12:51 AM
Hi Salvador, at that price, you'll be better off paying a little more to get a crank stringer. A dropweight is extremely accurate and will not need calibration. However, a crank will be faster and from some posts that I've read here, those who started off with a dropweight found that when the volumes of stringings increased, a crank was more efficient.

However, if you are only going to stick with low volumes, a dropweight will be more than sufficient.

Only you will be the best judge on the most appropriate machine for your needs.

jonolau
10-10-2006, 12:51 AM
i got the gamma x-2, which i think is a very good starting tabletop stringing machine at only around $135. but if you have the money, go for something with fixed clamps and/or multiple mounting points.
This is very useful advice and good reference point.

tennis-skater
10-10-2006, 03:32 AM
yes i like the machine i have very much very well built. i finallly got my first perfect job after about 4 rackets yesturday i reccomend buying a reel of cheap syn. gut and practice before you use good string. by the way poly is the biggest pain in the *** ever