PDA

View Full Version : Broken strings...

peter
10-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Is this a typical broken polyester string? I recently strung that racket for a friend and I'm wondering if I perhaps did something wrong since it broke relatively quickly (three playing sessions). However, the ball hit when it broke was relatively unclean (and hit high up on the racket).

http://www.grebo.net/~peter/twforum/broken_poly.jpg

Below is a broken multifilament-nylon string from one of my rackets which is more typical (atleast when I break strings):

http://www.grebo.net/~peter/twforum/broken_multi.jpg

Ripper
10-10-2006, 10:03 AM
What poly was it?

vinnier6
10-10-2006, 10:14 AM
it looks like you might have the pics reversed...the top pic looks like a multi to me and the bottom looks like poly...

Ripper
10-10-2006, 10:15 AM
it looks like you might have the pics reversed...the top pic looks like a multi to me and the bottom looks like poly...

I agree.

peter
10-10-2006, 10:51 AM
I agree.

Sorry, you're wrong :-)

The top one in the Babolat racket is the polyester string. Can't for the life of me remember what brand and model it was though (was my friends string). Um... Really stiff one to string.

The bottom one is a Tyger Ultra-Titanium (titanium coated multifilament nylon).

Steve Huff
10-10-2006, 11:13 AM
I've seen some multifiliment poly's that break like that (TF ProMix etc). Mis hits can produce breaks with any string., even poly or kevlar.

FH2FH
10-10-2006, 01:08 PM
I've had poly's break like both of those, but never a multi. Probably it is cheap poly or was damaged during stringing? I would try different strings anyway, especially if they're breaking quicker than you think they should.

A true multi (many threads) will fray, then break some time afterword. That's why everyone thinks the bottom is a poly. It's probably a multi-wrap, not multifilament.

peter
10-10-2006, 11:34 PM
I've had poly's break like both of those, but never a multi. Probably it is cheap poly or was damaged during stringing? I would try different strings anyway, especially if they're breaking quicker than you think they should.

A true multi (many threads) will fray, then break some time afterword. That's why everyone thinks the bottom is a poly. It's probably a multi-wrap, not multifilament.

Ah, well.. It's probably a multi-wrap then. Here's a picture of that (my bottom example) strings construction:

http://www.grebo.net/~peter/twforum/tyger_titanium.jpg

I'm very satisfied with the life length of that string though. So that's not a big problem. I was more wondering if I did something obviously wrong when stringing that (other) polyester string - since it was the first time I strung a poly.

FH2FH
10-11-2006, 05:25 AM
Hmm, if the guy likes that poly just restring it and see what happens. That will be one way to find out. I don't think poly should break that quickly though. It should last 2X as long or more than a synthetic gut of the same gauge. Yep, that is a multiwrap.

Ripper
10-11-2006, 05:33 AM
Sorry, you're wrong :-)

Huh? What?! But... I'm never wrong!

Nar57981
10-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Huh? What?! But... I'm never wrong!

lol...your not o.O