PDA

View Full Version : will playing squash or badminton help improve ur tennis game?

wyutani
10-10-2006, 09:26 PM
will playing squash or badminton help improve ur tennis game?

just wondering mate'..thanks...

andyroddick's mojo
10-10-2006, 09:39 PM
no idea, but i plan to buy that as soon as it comes out. It probably won't though.

DX_Psycho
10-10-2006, 09:48 PM
federer said he used to play squash with his dad i think.

badminton is very different though. it messed me up after playing badminton and then playing tennis. the racquet felt so much heavier.

godot
10-10-2006, 09:56 PM
DX is right. Badminton is very wristy. It will improve your tennis serve, overhead, and reflex, but ruin other shots. I would not suggest to mix them.

Phil
10-10-2006, 10:06 PM

Playing TENNIS will improve your tennis game, for sure.

AJK1
10-10-2006, 10:09 PM
I used to be a squash player, and i would not recommend mixing the two, if you are serious about your tennis.

ryohazuki222
10-10-2006, 10:14 PM
one thing i know for SURE........... racketball severely messes up your tennis game..... or at least it did mine! Took me like a week to get back to normal.

i DID notice though.. that playing racketball lefthanded (im a righty) helped my tennis game -- i think because it taught me to focus on contact more.

Thud and blunder
10-11-2006, 12:23 AM
I think either will potentially scramble your game a bit.

Having said that, I used to play tennis with a badminton player, who had simply incredible overheads...

nikolaih
10-11-2006, 05:04 AM
Yeah, at my university I play with a fair amount of people with either badminton, cricket, table tennis, or squash backgrounds and I think it presents a great challenge. It's either evident or people mention that they have trouble limiting their wrist and arm's involvement in their groundstrokes and volleys.

Although these players often are much further ahead in footwork than others who play at a similar level, IMO. One guy in particular, an accomplished badminton player, had some incredible footwork that was reminiscent of Sugar Ray Leonard, lol. But a very awkward open, wristy stroke.

Fusion
10-11-2006, 05:48 AM
Research has shown that all other racquet sports will ruin your tennis ability. The only exception to this is table-tennis.

dozu
10-11-2006, 06:12 AM
I play tennis along with badminton (occasionally) and pingpong (often).... however I try to isolate them by season.... meaning in the spring/summer/fall mostly tennis. in the winter mostly table tennis.

One thing I think is helpful is that since every body is different, it's important to remember what works for you for a particular stroke. almost like swing thoughts for FH, BH etc. and write them down so that when I pick up tennis again, I can get back into the groove.

Mixing these sports together is probably not a good idea..... table tennis is wristy, as well as badminton. Also, the table tennis racket is significantly shorter than the tennis stick, so playing lots of pingpong will make you hit lower in the string bed of a tennis racket.

ceejay
10-11-2006, 06:15 AM
I play squash and tennis, though not very seriously. I would say the main impact squash has had on my tennis is in improving my fitness and footwork. Even though you don't split-step in squash, if you don't keep your feet moving, you're going to lose.

dmvprof
10-11-2006, 11:00 AM
I play with a guy that played badminton in College.

He is extremely good at the net and with overheads. However, he doesn't have a good baseline game where he tends to overhit a lot.

kevhen
10-11-2006, 11:51 AM
I know a woman who is very good at badminton and just took up tennis and aggressive vollies are the best part of her game probably due to badminton.

But maybe because she used to swing so fast with the light racquets, it's been harder for her to learn how to play tennis as she often overhits.

HellBunni
10-11-2006, 11:53 AM
yea don't think badminton is good for tennis.

table-tennis is actually very good for tennis IMO.

punch
10-11-2006, 11:58 AM
I think table tennis is good, it has all the mechanics tennis has, can mimic the strokes you would use in real tennis, it's just on a smaller scale.
Also helps keen hand-eye coordination.

Sebastien
10-11-2006, 11:59 AM
No No No
Badminton is actually very bad is you play tennis. Badminton uses the wrist and we can't spin the ball. The moves are actually very different, please don't mix it up.

Ping Pong is very good, it helped my mental game a lot and my speed.

dave333
10-11-2006, 12:06 PM
badminton will make you push at the ball, make your racquet feel chunky, and make it feel heavy.

tennis_nerd22
10-11-2006, 01:05 PM

yes and i play both. badminton helps improve the strength of your wrist (great for serving and volleying), and squash helps your reaction time, quickness, and elbow strength.

StealthGnome
10-11-2006, 03:30 PM
I know playing badmitten made it harder for me playing tennis. The hitting then the racquet and all that. Totally different games.

newnuse
10-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Played 2 years of badminton and 4 years of tennis in Highschool. For me, it did not mess up my strokes since the 2 are very different. I did see some guys trying to put topsin on the birdie though.

Stroke wise, it didn't mess me up.... but mentally it does through you off. I concentrated on Badminton those 2 years and played tennis sort of part time. My tennis teammates were horrible. So by the end of the tennis season my senior year, my game went down the toilet. I'm not sure if it was hitting with guys that stunk, lack of practice or being not mentally sharp. I think mentally it does throw you off. Your instincts, your reaction...just not as fast when playing both sports.

Urza187
10-12-2006, 10:45 AM
I started off playing badminton in like jr high, then got serious about it in HS, then got into tennis my junior year in HS. Not gonna like, I suck at tennis(well, not where I should/want to be) Badminton develops BAD habits in tennis, although there are some good ones IMO. You get excellent footwork in badminton, and I think my touch shots are better. The bad....... you overhit a whole lot, and the swing pattern is not the same. I'm a badminton player, I love playing it, I could play it everyday.

SquashPlayer
11-04-2006, 02:33 PM
I played 1st singles in high school 27 years ago, switched to
squash a few years later and have played squash only for the
last 25 years.

I just started playing tennis again after all this time. My teammates
on the doubles team tell me my hands are very good at the net.
I really think all the volleying in squash is similar to tennis, you use
a continental type grip and stand there at the T and volley the ball
over the tin.

Other than that, the backhand is extremely similar to the slice BH
in tennis, so it's a natural shot for me.

And of course, squash is constant sprinting, so that helps big time
for tennis as well.

FYI

- SquashPlayer

habib
11-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Both badminton and squash will drastically improve your footwork, reflex, and agility, as they're both (racquetball included) much more demanding than tennis in that respect. It may even improve your strokes - especially if they're wristy to begin with - but otherwise will require some adjustments from you to keep them unaffected.

LuckyR
11-04-2006, 06:43 PM
I played 1st singles in high school 27 years ago, switched to
squash a few years later and have played squash only for the
last 25 years.

I just started playing tennis again after all this time. My teammates
on the doubles team tell me my hands are very good at the net.
I really think all the volleying in squash is similar to tennis, you use
a continental type grip and stand there at the T and volley the ball
over the tin.

Other than that, the backhand is extremely similar to the slice BH
in tennis, so it's a natural shot for me.

And of course, squash is constant sprinting, so that helps big time
for tennis as well.

FYI

- SquashPlayer

Wow, I have only dabbled in squash with a friend who is excellent at it. You mention "all the volleying in squash", I didn't know there was all that much volleying. I actually volley all the time when we play and my friend often gets taken off guard because in his words, it is so rare in A level play. Curious...

SquashPlayer
11-04-2006, 06:56 PM
I play a 5.0 squash game, it's a low A-level (not boasting here, just
letting you know)

you get points in squash by moving your opponent to the back and
putting shots up front that he/she cannot get to, and vice versa

as the players get better, it's easier to win points in the front court
rather than back. the best way to do that is to drive your opponent
to one of the back corners under pressure, stand in the middle of
the court "on the T", and hope to get a loose ball to volley just over
the tin. It's a lot like standing at the net in tennis, with the same
grip, and the rapid fire shots of squash give you fast hands

it's definately helped my tennis net game

as for topspin, that's another matter, there is no topspin in squash

- SquashPlayer

Swissv2
11-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Fast hands yes, but the shorter handle of a squash racquet threw me off when I tried to hit in tennis.