PDA

View Full Version : TT+ Arrived--have a question now!

MUSCBoneDoc11
10-10-2006, 09:02 PM
My TT+ (with 2 line) arrived today and I took it out tonight and...I LOVE IT! I had the best time out there playing. I'm know it will make me better, let me have fun while getting in shape, and be a lot of fun to use on a regular basis. I have a question for anyone that owns or has used one--after I used it for a while I brought it in and plugged in the charger. After a short while the light changed from red to redish-green and finally to bright green. But, when I touched it I noticed that the light color can be changed by simply spinning the plug that goes into the TT. In other words, all you have to do is wiggle the cord and the light changes from deep red to bright green. I remember on my batting tutor (same company's baseball machine) it would change color for a second if you wiggled it but would always go back to the same color after you let the cord go. If I twist the plug in the TT while it's plugged in I can actually make it stay a different color. I'm probably going to call Sports Tutor tomorrow but I wanted to see if anyone has had this problem or has any thoughts on it.

One more thing--balls. I went and bought some cheap Wilson pressureless balls and also used my older, flat pressurized balls of assorted brands. I MUCH prefer the pressurized balls, even if they are flat. The change in ball position depending on what type of ball, how flat it was, etc. was VERY minimal on my machine (ie-whether it has a DEAD flat ball or a new pressureless, all throws were basically the same). I didn't really care for how it felt hitting the pressureless balls. Some of you had said it feels like hitting rocks and I must admit I thought "these guys are much more advanced and sensitive to things that I would never notice" but I must apologize, you guys were right. I also noticed that the new balls didn't bounce any better than the flat balls. That's just my take on things from a hundred hits--it may change and also, it may be due to the fact that I just had some Wilson balls I got from Wal-Mart and not high tech pressureless or Tretorn--I'll have to try those and see if they are any different.

Thanks for all the help!

hookipa
01-05-2007, 07:40 PM
I have a TT Player Model. Excellent machine, excellent customer service.

Don't like the feel of pressureless balls, plus the repetitive hitting with these rocks can't be good for long-term arm health. Usually get about 30 cans of hard court balls - about $2 a pop from Wal-Mart. You probably should hit with them once or twice with a hitting partner. The ink is supposedly not good for the wheels on the machine and needs to be worn off a bit.

In season I play a lot of matches so I always provide the can - then save these and replenish the basket, tossing out the deadest. If you don't play a lot, you'll need to buy a case of new balls every month or two.

Also, my experience is that varying pressured balls do come out of the machine very differently. To an extent this is a good thing. Because the ball is less predictable, you have to provide more footwork to hit the ball.

Lastly, although the machine is a great tool to improve your strokes and consistency, you definitely want to incorporate lessons into the mix. The first year I played I got a nasty tennis elbow from grooving an incorrect one-handed backhand (elbow bent on impact). You can move up the ladder pretty quickly if you combine the two (lessons and machine reps). If your'e a 4.5 or up, you may not need the lessons.

Dave.

P.S. If you are at MUSC in Charleston and are interested in a Pro, check out Rich Shy at Snee Farm - great instructor.

jools
01-10-2007, 05:00 AM
MUSCBoneDoc11 ,

I am in the UK and have a TT Player plus also & have noticed exactly the same thing as you note about the charging light changing colour when you wiggle the cord.

I haven't contacted Tennis Tutor & I would be very interested to know if they have clarifed to you what is the cause of this & can it be/should it be rectified.

My machine has charged up ok despite the light changing it's colour at random ! I have a smart charger so it doesn't matter how long I leave mine on - which I'm glad I got now.....

One thing on my machine (which was an "ex-demo") when it was first delivered was that it fired loads of "misfires" & balls ended up inside the machine - I traced it down to the bracket that holds the ball chute was too long and the centreline of the chute was thus offset from the centreline of the ball throwing wheels - I had to remove it, cut it down & re-weld it. A real pain but it's ok now...

cheers

Jools

flatpick
01-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Jools is correct. A Smart Charger is the way to go. Just keep the machine plugged in when you don't have it out on the court and it easily charges over night - it just doesn't matter what color the light is on the control panel. The colored lights on the charger itself tell you the state of the battery - when it's green its fully charged.

Have fun with it.

travlerajm
01-10-2007, 12:57 PM
A comment on the balls:

Pressureless balls have thicker rubber. This means that they have lower moment of inertia.

The lower moment of inertia means that the spin rate slows down much faster due to air friction. So spin doesn't work very well with pressureless balls - they lose most of the spin by the time the ball hits the opposite court, so your topspin groundies and kick serves won't bounce as high as a slightly dead pressurized ball.

If you hit the ball flat or with slice, you are less likely to notice as much of a difference.

whoster69
04-12-2007, 06:38 AM
So did you ever get an answer MUSCBoneDoc11? I'd be curious to know what they said.

I just bought a Tennis Tutor Plus Player. It should arrive TODAY!

rob61
04-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Congratulations on your new TT + machine. I got one three years ago when I took up the sport and I love it. I went with pressureless, and they do feel a lot heavier when you hit them. I've been using once-used balls for most of it now and it feels a lot more natural.

The manufacturer is first rate in customer support and that means a lot. Let us know if you get an answer about the LED color when wiggling the connector. I have the same thing with mine. I always felt the female plug was a tad bit too large, as the plug fits in rather loosely. This could affect conductivity when reading the charge. However, if you give it a twist when inserting the smart charger, it seems to settle in and charge fine.

whoster69
04-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Good to know. Thanks!

volusiano
04-12-2007, 05:58 PM
A comment on the balls:

Pressureless balls have thicker rubber. This means that they have lower moment of inertia.

The lower moment of inertia means that the spin rate slows down much faster due to air friction. So spin doesn't work very well with pressureless balls - they lose most of the spin by the time the ball hits the opposite court, so your topspin groundies and kick serves won't bounce as high as a slightly dead pressurized ball.

If you hit the ball flat or with slice, you are less likely to notice as much of a difference.

The OP said that the TT+ is consistent in throwing old flat pressurized balls just the same as the pressureless balls. But won't the old flat pressurized balls bounce lower than the pressureless balls, therefore screwing up your strokes because you're conditioned to hitting low bouncing balls?

Or can you compensate for the lack of bounce of the old flat pressurized balls by kicking up the top spin setting on the machine like travlerajm said in the quote above?

Also won't the old flat pressurized balls feel much softer but heavier than what a normal ball is supposed to feel because they're already flat? Won't this screw up your game if you get used to this feeling?

volusiano
04-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Another thing is if you don't get enough spin out of the pressureless balls from your ball machine because of the lower moment of inertia, can't you simply crank up the spin setting on your ball machine to compensate? I can get pretty high top spin on my TT+ on the Tretorn Micro X by just cranking up the dial to the desired level.

Now I agree that if you want to see the effect of the top spin YOU put on the ball, it may not be as much as you like.