PDA

View Full Version : What are the signs of a badly strung racquet in terms of playability?

pmata814
10-11-2006, 06:15 AM
I just started stringing my own racquets (I've strung about 6 frames). I recently strung 2 of my frames with 16ga NXT in the mains and 16ga PSGD in the crosses of one and Gosen Micro in the crosses of the other. The racquet feels kind of harsh (actually they both feel just as harsh). How do I know if it is a problem with the stringing or if it's just the tension? What are the signs of a badly strung racquet in terms of playability?

I've posted previously here that my crosses when, measured with a tension meter, differ quite drastically in tension from string to string. Several people have told me that tension meters are not reliable at all and that I should get rid of it. But if my crosses do indeed differ in tension how will that affect how the racquet feels or plays?

Thanks in advance.

edit: I'm stringing on an Alpha Axis Pro

Kaptain Karl
10-11-2006, 06:40 AM
You'll go crazy if you rely on a tension meter as one of your "barometers" of how good you are stringing. Lose it.

Your OP question is ... odd. I try not to change multiple variables with each string job. I'll change the string, the guage, the hybrid mix or the tension ... but not two of any of these. (Or else, how will I know what change produced what result?)

If the stick plays like junk, the string job could be the reason. (I've rarely just cut out a new string job. Most recently it was NXT 16 which "got the knife." That stuff plays great -- for 4-6 sets. Then its resiliency(?) disappears and so does any semblance of "feel".)

- KK

Ripper
10-11-2006, 07:42 AM
my crosses when, measured with a tension meter, differ quite drastically in tension from string to string.

I'd say it's because they have different lengths.

jj300
10-11-2006, 07:55 AM
if you're rackets are playing harsh that most likely means the tension is too high. I don't know what you mean "something bad with the stringjob." If you do it yourself and do the exact same process on each cross, the stringjob is fine. The crosses will differ in tensions not just because of their length but because of the slight delay of pulling each one. By the time you do cross #2, cross #1 already lost some tension and etc. Don't worry about it too much. Do the racket at lower tension and try again. Just because your strings are playing harsh does not mean the string job is somehow "wrong."

pmata814
10-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Thanks! I'll try dropping 2 lbs on my next racquet.

fastdunn
10-11-2006, 09:45 AM
When I play with frame with bad string job, I feel like I'm playing with
rotten(?) wood, if you know what I mean....
You have to be able to feel this fresh "liveliness" of string bed for the
freshly strung racquet.

As KK suggested, you want to experiment with one variable at a time.
From my experiences, the biggest culprit would be most likely to be
the tension. Or the inconsistencies of tension due to poor techniques.

P.S. My embarrassing 1st few stringing blunders: I started out with
a drop weight machine. I aligned the weight to the scale with the top
of the weight although I was supposed to align it to the bottom
of it. The result was 15-20 lbs off the tension I desired. I did it
this way for 1st few string jobs! It played like ****....

Kaptain Karl
10-11-2006, 11:53 AM
P.S. My embarrassing 1st few stringing blunders: I started out with a drop weight machine. I aligned the weight to the scale with the top of the weight ...Oh boy!

There was the time I was talking to a pretty girl in the Shop and wound the Cross I was working on around the rod supporting the clamp. (I don't think she was fooled by my complaining about "Vantage always breaking!" I *tried* to cover for my goof...!)

P.S. I just *dated* myself with that string, huh?

- KK

pmata814
10-12-2006, 05:11 AM
Just thought I should update...

I went out to hit again yesterday, with my ball machine, and the racquets felt a lot better. Actually they felt very nice to hit with. I think maybe the stringbed just needed to settle a bit, and the fact that NXT loses tension quite quickly I think actually helped in my case.

In case anybody is interested...the hybrid with PSGD in the crosses felt slightly softer and more comfortable than the racquet with Gosen in the crosses. If you don't like the soft almost "mushy" feel, then Gosen helps firm up the stringbed a bit. Both racquets were strung @62 lbs. with the same crank machine (Axis Pro) and the same inexperienced stringer (me).

Thank you for all your help!