PDA

View Full Version : stringing from bottom to top on crosses..bad?

knasty131
10-11-2006, 10:03 AM
I have always strung top to bottom because I read if it is done otherwise it can damage the racket. Is it really that harmful to string from the bottom up? I know this is an elementary question but I just never thought to ask and have been doing it my way for 4+ years.

LttlElvis
10-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Theoretically, there is less stress on the racquet if strung from top to bottom on cross strings. On one piece stinging, sometimes you can't help but string from bottom to top unless doing an around the world technique.

If you are stringing for other people, you do need to go by the manufacturers suggestion and it usually is from top to bottom.

Is it really harmful? Not too sure. But no reason to risk it if manufacturer says to string a certain way.

Rabbit
10-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Yes, it's bad. You should always either do an ATW or two-piece when the mains finish at the throat. It's not hard to do and is a good habit to get into.

Steve Huff
10-11-2006, 08:47 PM
It's more than just a theory, especially on more oblong shaped rackets like Yonexes. I cracked a Pro Kennex Composite Dominator several years ago by stringing the crosses from the bottom to the top.

hadoken
10-11-2006, 09:01 PM
i used to never care as well and did it from the bottom, but now I do ATW...I just find it easier and ends up with fewer headaches with respect to blocked holes.

Sebastien
10-11-2006, 09:16 PM
I never really cared but I always strung from top to bottom because my mains knots end on top and it's easier to finish where there are no knot already. I am glad that I have always done right.

CheapStrings
10-12-2006, 05:57 AM
I've heard that on some racquets they won't honor the warranty if they see you've strung bottom to top.

chrisplchs
10-12-2006, 06:37 AM
thats true.. some manufactures won't honor warranties.. such as Head or Yonex. As long as you follow the manufactures pattern or those of in the stringer's digest, you should never have a problem.

Dr. Van Nostrand
10-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Didn't someone check with a Wilson representative a while back and Wilson does not have a problem with their racquets being strung bottom to top? A great many Wilson stringing patterns in the USRSA manual describe stringing crosses from the bottom to the top.

JohnS
10-12-2006, 09:11 AM
thats true.. some manufactures won't honor warranties.. such as Head or Yonex. As long as you follow the manufactures pattern or those of in the stringer's digest, you should never have a problem.

I hear that Prince won't honor the warranties either.