PDA

View Full Version : Best Kevlar?

dano
10-11-2006, 05:07 PM
What is the best kevlar string? On TW.com I see kevlar strings by Ashaway, Dunlop, Forten, Gamma, Gosen, and Prince. Which is the best.

jack mckinney
10-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Ashaway is good as far as kevlar goes. it gives you chance to try different gauges.

POGforEver
10-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Ashaway is a braided kevlar..which I did not like. When I first started using kevlar it was ProBlend which was strung in my POGs. Now I'm using Gosen Arammix which comes in 40ft packages so I hybrid it with PSGD. So the best in terms of my liking is Gosen Arammix..Good luck with your choice!

drakulie
10-11-2006, 06:20 PM
I use Ashaway kevlar crossfire II-16 gauge.

I read somewhere all kevlar strings are manufactured by the same company? Not sure if that is true though.

moxio
10-11-2006, 07:46 PM
I've heard Ashaway's Crossfire is good.

Ripper
10-12-2006, 05:44 AM
IMHO, Forten.

Midlife crisis
10-12-2006, 08:10 PM
I've used both Pro Blend and Aramid Gear. Though the USRSA says these strings are quite different in terms of stiffness and tension loss, in reality they don't play all that differently IMO. Their high stiffness and low ultimate elasticity are so extreme that these differences don't have much effect in actually hitting the ball. The Aramid Gear, with its significantly textured outer wrap over the kevlar, does noticeably grip the ball on extreme skimming type swings, but the cost of doing this is that it rips a lot of fuzz off the ball as well as really fuzzing up the ball.

Otherwise, I didn't notice anything special about one over the other.

jonolau
10-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Ashaway's Crossfire is very popular. I've found that the most "comfortable" aramid (sounds like an oxymoron) is Gamma's TNT Extreme Spin 19g. A really thin gauge that never breaks, holds tension forever and plays soft because of a special wrap (can't remember what it's called).