PDA

View Full Version : Which string reel to buy from Klippermate?

purespin
10-12-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm going to buy Klippermate pretty soon. I would like to get 2 reels of string to start with. So which two to get from http://www.klipperusa.com/products/productlisting.php?catid=3 ? I'm thinking of getting one cheap and one expensive.

I'm using Head LM4 and Wilson H7.5. I use 1hbh for slice and topspin and mainly topspin on forehand. I don't know my NTRP but my friends told me that I'm around 2.5-3.5.

Thanks in advance!

ryohazuki222
10-12-2006, 10:38 AM
ive heard pretty good things about the zyex string.... though it's a bit pricey for my tastes... but you said one expensive one......

has anyone played with the klipper synthetic gut? Scrolling down, it's funny how many colors they have..... if it's a decent string I may get the "rainbow" color just for fun.....

purespin
10-12-2006, 11:17 AM
ive heard pretty good things about the zyex string.... though it's a bit pricey for my tastes... but you said one expensive one......
Thanks for the reply. That's probably out of my budget :( I'm thinking of getting one around $50-60 (that's what I call 'expensive' :cool: )
has anyone played with the klipper synthetic gut? Scrolling down, it's funny how many colors they have..... if it's a decent string I may get the "rainbow" color just for fun.....
'rainbow' color string looks wired to me. I might get one set for my little kids but definitely not for me :)

Nuke
10-12-2006, 11:19 AM
'rainbow' color string looks wired to me. I might get one set for my little kids but definitely not for me :)
I'm thinking the same thing. Looks like something for a kid's racquet.

Clintspin
10-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Part of the Klippermate website has a comparison chart to other brand strings on the market. It might help you decide based on other strings you have used.

DRtenniS1112
10-12-2006, 11:29 AM
One of the kids on my college team swears by zyex.

jasonbourne
10-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. That's probably out of my budget :( I'm thinking of getting one around $50-60 (that's what I call 'expensive' :cool: )

purespin, I tried *all* the klippermate strings. None comes half way close to the zyex in terms of playability and durability. You definitely get your money's worth with the zyex compared to the other offerings at klippermate.

Instead of purchasing one cheap and one expensive reel, I highly recommend to get a single zyex reel. In the long run you would have more comfort, strings would last longer and performance will last until the strings break due to excellent tension maintenance. Hence, you will enjoy your tennis more.

jasonbourne
10-12-2006, 11:33 AM
purespin, one more kudus on the zyex, it is one of the easiest string to string with on the klippermate.

The only other string that may have been easier is the Alpha Gut 2000.

The zyex plays well and is durable in full and hybrid setups.

DRtenniS1112
10-12-2006, 11:36 AM
purespin, one more kudus on the zyex, it is one of the easiest string to string with on the klippermate.

Do you prefer to hybrid it or use it by itself? How well does it hold tension? Also what do you string it at? The kid on my team normally strings 57ish and he strings zyex at like 52 and says its great. That seems really low.

jasonbourne
10-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Do you prefer to hybrid it or use it by itself? How well does it hold tension? Also what do you string it at? The kid on my team normally strings 57ish and he strings zyex at like 52 and says its great. That seems really low.

In the 90s when I was not familiar with polys I used zyex in a full setup. This year I started to hybrid with various poly mains.

I'm a string breaker. My racket is relatively heavy and I hit with heavy spin and pace. I've been stringing with many different strings since the 80s. It holds tension better than any synthetic I have used.

Tension depends on racket and player's style. For instance, on my ps6.1 16x18 95 the zyex is at 63. On my n6.1 90 in a hybrid it is at 56. On my n6.1 18x20 95 in a hybrid it is at 58.

DRtenniS1112
10-12-2006, 12:11 PM
In the 90s when I was not familiar with polys I used zyex in a full setup. This year I started to hybrid with various poly mains.

I'm a string breaker. My racket is relatively heavy and I hit with heavy spin and pace. I've been stringing with many different strings since the 80s. It holds tension better than any synthetic I have used.

Tension depends on racket and player's style. For instance, on my ps6.1 16x18 95 the zyex is at 63. On my n6.1 90 in a hybrid it is at 56. On my n6.1 18x20 95 in a hybrid it is at 58.
Cool thanks, he told me I needed to try it out but I wanted to wait until our fall season ended and try it out before spring season during my off time. I don't like to tamper with my set up during our seasons.

purespin
10-12-2006, 12:19 PM

Hi Jasonbourne,

Thanks for the info and suggestion. I will think about that.

BTW, what are full and hybrid setups? Below is what I find searching here:

What is a Hybrid?
Hybrid stringing consists of using different strings in the main and cross strings of a racquet. Hybrid stringing can be as simple as varying string thickness between the main and cross string, to using completely different string materials.

Is full setup only using one type of string? For hybrid setup, should I use zyex for main or cross string?

Sorry if the questions look stupid. I have never do stringing before ;)

purespin
10-12-2006, 12:44 PM
After further searching, I found out they recommend that poly string as the main string.
The poly string is one of the cheapest from Klippermate. What's the reason to combine the most expensive one with the cheapest one? To lower the cost?

jasonbourne
10-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Hi Jasonbourne,

Thanks for the info and suggestion. I will think about that.

BTW, what are full and hybrid setups? Below is what I find searching here:

Is full setup only using one type of string? For hybrid setup, should I use zyex for main or cross string?

Sorry if the questions look stupid. I have never do stringing before ;)

purespin, your understanding is correct for full and hybrid.

Full setup is using the same string for mains and crosses.

Hybrid is whenever you use two different strings on a racket.

Zyex can be in either main or cross. I currently use it as a cross in my hybrids and have a poly in the mains for longer durability. I break strings frequently. Hence, I try to limit my stringing as best I can without negatively effecting the playability of my racket.

Kevo
10-12-2006, 12:53 PM
I would second the Zyex. I used it for almost 20 hours in one of my frames. Easily the most durable 17g I've tried. Best overall string I've tried. It is pricey though, but if you don't break strings a lot I would say it's an excellent value because it plays very well right up until the end. I haven't tried it in a hybrid, but I would bet it's an excellent cross to a poly since is has a durable outer wrap.

purespin
10-12-2006, 05:02 PM
This is what I'm going to get:

For full stringing:
One reel of Syn. Gut 17 Ultra-Fibre (in purple color).

For hybrid stringing:
One reel of Zyex 16 for cross and one reel of Super-Poly 16 for main.

For little kids:
One set of Neon Syn. Gut Rainbow 15L.

Any final thought? I'm going to call in to order tomorrow morning (to have more shipping options).

aussie
10-12-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm going to buy Klippermate pretty soon. I would like to get 2 reels of string to start with. So which two to get from http://www.klipperusa.com/products/productlisting.php?catid=3 ? I'm thinking of getting one cheap and one expensive.

I'm using Head LM4 and Wilson H7.5. I use 1hbh for slice and topspin and mainly topspin on forehand. I don't know my NTRP but my friends told me that I'm around 2.5-3.5.

Thanks in advance!

When I ordered my Klippermate, I ordered 2 reels of the Synthetic gut with ultra fibre. This is the exact string as Prince Syn gut with Duraflex. It may not be the very best string on the market, but it is very popular, strings easily and performs much better than average. Remember, Klipper give you a 10% discount on strings you order with the Klippermate and up to a month after.

purespin
10-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi,

I'm confused here. According to http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/orderhybrid.html:
When choosing a hybrid, note that the main string will dominate the overall feel and playability of the two strings.
Think of the cross string as having an influence on the main string.

Then why people use the cheap poly string as main while the most expensive one as cross? Do I miss something here? Or the poly string they're talking about is different from the Super-Poly (http://www.klipperusa.com/products/productlisting.php?qlid=10) at Klippermate?

aussie
10-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Hi,

I'm confused here. According to http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/orderhybrid.html:
When choosing a hybrid, note that the main string will dominate the overall feel and playability of the two strings.
Think of the cross string as having an influence on the main string.

Then why people use the cheap poly string as main while the most expensive one as cross? Do I miss something here? Or the poly string they're talking about is different from the Super-Poly (http://www.klipperusa.com/products/productlisting.php?qlid=10) at Klippermate?

Poly is used for the mains because of its durability - when strings snap, it is nearly always a main string. Poly's wear very slowly but are harsh so a softer more palyable string is used in the non-wearing crosses to tone down the harsh feel of the racquet.