PDA

View Full Version : Specific question re: Hybrid stringing (my first)

Gundam
10-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi all,

I have been trying various strings incl. nat gut (of course the best), synth gut, multi (like it), and poly (tried TiMo but hated it). Now I wanna try hybrid string job such as poly main+synthGut cross. Here is some information.

My favorite sticks are POG OS and prostaff 6.0 95 and I am going to try my newest experiment on these.

I prefer lower tension in general (I tend to control ball well. 1HBH, all court style-i like to hit both from the baseline or net). For POG OS, I have been using 58LB, for 95 55LB.

Currently my reference string is e-matrix. Cheaper and plays well and I am not a stringbreaker although I like to hit with topsin rather than flat.

racquets : POG OS or Prostaff 6.0 95
Strings I have : all in 17 guage.
For main :
Alu Power
Kirschbaum Competition
Pro hurricane
Signum Pro Poly Plasma
For cross : Prince synthGut w/wo Duraflex, OG sheep micro.

Again, I didn't like my only experience with poly (full TiMo) because it felt boardy even though I lowered the tension by 10%. I just want to give polys just one more shot in hybrid setup.

Any suggestion using the strings/racquets I mentioned above will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

G.

Gundam
10-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Can anyone give me any suggestion? I want to know what kind of combo and setup of above strings I have would give me the best representative experience of Poly/SynthGut hybrid. Or any satisfying experience of yours. Thanks in advance,

G.

Midlife crisis
10-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Can anyone give me any suggestion? I want to know what kind of combo and setup of above strings I have would give me the best representative experience of Poly/SynthGut hybrid. Or any satisfying experience of yours. Thanks in advance,

G.

If you play with e-matrix, and you've already tried a full poly job at your reference tension - 10% and didn't like it, you're not likely to like the string response from any poly job. Hybriding a synthetic gut cross string with poly mains will soften the playing characteristics somewhat, but not anywhere enough to get it close to what you're used to.

If you are still going to hybrid, the SPPP is probably one of the softer poly strings. What you can try is to use the poly in the mains and see if that works for you. If it still feels too stiff, you can use the other half-set and string it up with the poly in the crosses. That combination will have more of the playing characteristics of the synthetic gut string, and may have enough elasticity to suit you.

jonolau
10-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Hi Gundam,

There are polys and there are soft polys.

I would rate Gosen Polylon SP, Tecnifibre Pro Redcode, Topspin Poly Polar and SPPP as belonging in the comfort poly section.

If you're interested, we can do a trade for you to be able to try out other polys which I have in reels without incurring high costs of buying a whole reel.

Jon

Steve Huff
10-12-2006, 09:50 PM
I normally play with a nat.gut hybrid, but I tried the SPPP 1.23 in a hybrid and really liked it. My normal gut tension is 58# whereas I strung the SPPP mains at 53 and TNT Fat Core crosses at 55. I liked the way it hit.

Gundam
10-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks fellow TWers!

I've tried it. Over the last weekend, I've tried ALU power 17 @52 mains and OGsheep 16 @58 cross on my Gaby, one of my POG Oversizes. I played it only 2-3 hours but I wasn't impressed. I thought people use polyester strings for

#1. More Power and better Spin and Control. In other words because they have these advantages over 'other strings'.

#2. Durability (for string breakers).

Poly strings look and play like plastic wires, and stringing is difficult. As for #1, I didn't notice any advantage. I had to be careful not to overhit because spin generation was poorer. And boardy feel (but by doing hybrid this time, it was better than full poly string job).

When I ordered strings (mostly multis and some synthGuts), I have included one or two polys but after I tried the TIMO, I didn't really like to try other polys and thats' why I ended up with my small collection of polys. Anyway, perhaps I will have to give more time to break in the ALU-OG sheep strings.

Thanks again.

Nuke
10-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Poly strings look and play like plastic wires, and stringing is difficult. As for #1, I didn't notice any advantage. I had to be careful not to overhit because spin generation was poorer. And boardy feel
Well, polys actually reward players who swing hard with more spin and control than other strings, so easing up actually works against you and gives you that boardy feel. The knock against polys is that they don't feel good on low powered shots, so you went the wrong way. You need to hit out with these strings, else you're better off sticking to the syns and multis.

psp2
10-16-2006, 11:10 AM
I find stringing with poly much easier than expected. Before stringing, I wrap the string around a doorknob and give it a slight tug, gripping the 2 ends with a starting clamp and a needle nose plier. This method gets rid of most of the coil memory.

Tieing the knot is not too bad either, contrary to what I've read here. I use a starting clamp to grip the string and give it a nice pull to finish the knot. Easy....

Gundam
10-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Well, polys actually reward players who swing hard with more spin and control than other strings, so easing up actually works against you and gives you that boardy feel. The knock against polys is that they don't feel good on low powered shots, so you went the wrong way. You need to hit out with these strings, else you're better off sticking to the syns and multis.

a-ha...I see. I am going to have a chance to try it again.

Somehow this reminds me of RD-7. Had a chance to hit with the stick but didn't like it at all and wondered why people call it 'spindoctor'. It turned out the racquet works well when hit with speed and power (means it works well when used by advanced players).

psp2, it's very clever to use the doorknobs. I will remember that.

Thanks