PDA

View Full Version : Finding a good stringer...

aznspongehead
10-12-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm pretty new to tennis, so I don't have my local shops/stringers figured out. The strings that came with my racket are getting kind of old, and I'd like to get it restrung, but from what I've been reading a bad string job/improper procedure during stringing may really damage the racket, not to mention completely ruin the string...

I really don't want that to happen, so I'm hoping to find a dependable stringer in my area. I live in south pasadena, Los Angles. I guess I'd be willing to drive out a couple miles, but I'd prefer the drive to be less than 30 minutes, because of the gas prices and whatnot.

One of my options is my coach at school, but I plan to do that as a last resort because while he only charges 10 dollars for a stringjob, he doesn't let us choose the type of string... so I really don't know exactly what the heck I'm getting. Not to mention, I think a professional stringer will most likely do a better job. The last thing I want is to have my racket head turn rectangular from a freak accident during stringing. :D

So yeah guys... any ideas? I'm not looking for absolute professionals that string at tournments, although that would be pretty cool, I just want to know a place where I can have confidence that they'll do a decent job. (at least get the right lbs and put the strings through the right holes.. etc.) Thanks in advance. :)

nalbandian_fan
10-12-2006, 05:07 PM
why dont you try ordering the string yourself and see if your coach gives a discount if you provide the the string? If your school hired him as a coach, I'm sure he's a dependable stringer.

rod_b
10-12-2006, 05:07 PM
I recently asked the same question and Raquets Rackets in Arcadia was recommended to me. Haven't gone to see them yet but they were very nice talking to them over the phone and answering my questions.

andrew_b
10-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Go to the USRSA site and go to the spot (http://www.racquettech.com/top/stringer_search.html)where you can search for certified stringers and MRTs (Master Racket Technicians). If someone has gone to the trouble to pass those tests, they likely know what they're doing. Stay away from the generic "manager, (store name)" listings, though.

play well,
Andrew

andrew_b
10-12-2006, 07:50 PM
duplicate post

aznspongehead
10-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check it out online... maybe pay Raquets Rackets a visit this weekend. :)