PDA

View Full Version : Polyester/Natural Gut OR Natural Gut/Polyester

TalkingTennis91
10-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Hey guys. Quick question. I currently play with a hybrid of Pro Hurricane in the mains and VS Gut in the crosses. What would it be like if I switched the two? Like Gut in the mains and Poly in the crosses?

My main question is: What would the spin be like? Better or worse? How would the power be? Better or worse?

Thanks a million guys.

Faber
10-12-2006, 06:27 PM
I have Wilson Natural on the mains and pro hurricane tours on the crosses.. I wish I could tell you how they compare, but I can't.

Richie Rich
10-12-2006, 06:29 PM
you'd probably find more power with gut mains. maybe a touch less spin but not much.

IMO, it's a waste to put gut in the crosses with poly mains. i know it softens up the string bed but there are cheaper choices than gut that will play pretty well. have you tried any other strings besides gut as your cross?

psp2
10-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Lately, I've been using gut main/poly crosses at high 40 pound tensions in my PS85. The result is AMAZING. I am able to extreme dipping xcourt fh and bh with astonishing (for me at least) accuracy.

Tonight I played a 3 long setter with a Chicago PS85 (Wilson NGut 17g and SPPP 18g @ 46/48#, respectively). Power was there when I needed it; plenty of control was there from FH/1hbh topspin); and served well (flat and kick).

You should give low tension a chance, you may discover shots you never thought you had.

thejackal
10-12-2006, 08:27 PM
if you are not a string breaker, gut mains is the way to go. if you are...you better be rich.

Faber
10-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Put some string savers in while you're at it..

Steve Huff
10-12-2006, 10:45 PM
I agree with RR on this one. And, when I've put gut in the mains, poly in the crosses, I usually decrease the tension of the poly crosses.

onkystomper
10-13-2006, 06:02 AM
gut mains is the only way to go. You get all the benefits of gut but with a slightly firmer feel. I use Bow Brand Mains and Klip Poly crosses.

TalkingTennis91
10-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Lately, I've been using gut main/poly crosses at high 40 pound tensions in my PS85. The result is AMAZING. I am able to extreme dipping xcourt fh and bh with astonishing (for me at least) accuracy.

Tonight I played a 3 long setter with a Chicago PS85 (Wilson NGut 17g and SPPP 18g @ 46/48#, respectively). Power was there when I needed it; plenty of control was there from FH/1hbh topspin); and served well (flat and kick).

You should give low tension a chance, you may discover shots you never thought you had.

I've really been thinking about giving low tension a shot, psp2, but I use a Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus, you know, 100sq inch head. Would a low tension work with that big of a head?

jackson vile
10-13-2006, 12:15 PM

Exactly, but man that is some seriously low tension LOL

jackson vile
10-13-2006, 12:17 PM
I've really been thinking about giving low tension a shot, psp2, but I use a Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus, you know, 100sq inch head. Would a low tension work with that big of a head?

IMO no the larger the head the tighter you need to go or to put poly in the mains, the gut in the mains for spin only works like that with low tensions.

Having a stiffer string in the X give a much more uniform even feeling string bed, and you do not have to limit your choice to gut.

psp2
10-13-2006, 03:02 PM

My doubles racquet is a Wilson OpenX (100"), and I have the following string setup: Ashaway Kevlar 18g M w/ TF Spinfire 18g poly X at 45/50#, respectively. Now...with the stiff strings, I don't get the "trampoline" effect in a 100" headsize at these tensions. The overall setup actually feels like a soft synthetic gut setup, but with a HUGE pop and amazing spin generation.

Previous to the above setup, I was stringing the Ashaway with Gosen SM at around 55/60. Liked it alot, but was still a bit boardy. So, I started to drop tension more and more and found the 45/50 kevlar/poly combo. Really digging the "soft" feel of kevlar.