PDA

View Full Version : tension on NRG2 vs syn gut

PhillyMike
10-12-2006, 06:35 PM
If I've been stringing synthetic gut at 58 lbs, what tension would you recommend for NRG2? I'm trying it out for the first time. I was thinking a couple pounds higher, but wanted to check.

Thanks.

bsandy
10-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Two's what I use when I want the same feel.

PhillyMike
10-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks. I thought I'd heard that, but wanted to make sure.

Steve Huff
10-12-2006, 10:57 PM
If you want to know how the string performs, you shouldn't change more than 1 variable at a time. The NRG2 will be more powerful--and I guess that's why you're considering the change. But, if you increase the tension, you won't really know what made the strings play differently, the tension increase or the different type of string.

vinnier6
10-13-2006, 05:29 AM
its been my experience with multis like nxt type strings like nrg2 that the tighter you string them the better they work...i would string whatever racquet you are using to the highest tension...i have been stringing my flexpoint radical tour at 63 and the recommended tension on the racquet is 62 on the high end...

multi strings tend to get mushy if you string too low and they also tend to loose tension quickly as well...

PhillyMike
10-13-2006, 08:56 AM
If you want to know how the string performs, you shouldn't change more than 1 variable at a time. The NRG2 will be more powerful--and I guess that's why you're considering the change. But, if you increase the tension, you won't really know what made the strings play differently, the tension increase or the different type of string.

Actually, I don't really want more power than I'm getting from syn gut. I'm really just trying the NRG2 out of curiosity to see how I like the feel (which I'm guessing will be softer).

I recently started stringing again (I used to string my own racquets as a junior player, but back then I pretty much only used syn gut, since that was mostly what was available). So just looking to try some different stuff.

I'm thinking if I string at the same tension, the NRG2 might be like a trampoline.

Valjean
10-13-2006, 09:00 AM
I'd go 62, myself; in NRG2 you have perhaps the most powerful multi out there... It also loses directional control fairly quickly. There are better ones to try out now; this one may jaundice your view of what the multi world is like.

PhillyMike
10-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Hmmm. Well, I'm about to string it up, at 60. I've got some other strings to try, too -- Wilson NXT (which I got for free the last time I bought a new racquet), Luxilon Big Banger ALU, Babolat Pro Hurricane, Gosen Polylon SP, Head Ultra Tour.

And, if all else fails, I've always got the trusty Prince Syn Gut 17.

andrew_b
10-13-2006, 12:21 PM
I'd go 62, myself; in NRG2 you have perhaps the most powerful multi out there... It also loses directional control fairly quickly. There are better ones to try out now; this one may jaundice your view of what the multi world is like.

Valjean, what other multis would you recommend over the NRG2? I'm playing around with my non-gut frame and experimenting.

play well,
Andrew

Valjean
10-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Klip Excellerator hits the happy medium--with exceptional control, too. Prince's Premier with Softflex is next, though Laserfibre's XRC Phenom is pretty good as well.

andrew_b
10-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Cool, thanks.