PDA

View Full Version : Toughest string

Young Gun
10-12-2006, 06:29 PM
what is a specific set of string that has maximum durability but also feels good, im breaking so many strings these days.:mad:

POGforEver
10-12-2006, 06:38 PM
If your young and a really big hitter I would try poly and if you've broken that just go right to kevlar. That's what I ended up doing...good luck!

theace21
10-12-2006, 08:17 PM
what is a specific set of string that has maximum durability but also feels good, im breaking so many strings these days.:mad:
Are you stringing your own rackets? You can try a poly or a kevlar string. Feels good is a matter of opinion. Neither of these are forgiving on the arm.

jonolau
10-12-2006, 08:27 PM
You can't go wrong with aramids, as they're also used to stop bullets.

However, the criteria you mentioned about "feels good" is extremely subjective. Some people love aramid, whilst others get TE from it.

As for breaking strings, where do your strings break? Is it in the middle of the stringbed or does it snap at a grommet?

If you're breaking strings often and subsequently restringing quite often, I'd also be concerned about the condition of the grommet strip. Perhaps it might be worn through and could be contributing to more breaks.

Young Gun
10-12-2006, 11:19 PM
no, my racquets are new jonolau so thats not possible, and yes they do break near the grommets, and yes i have been known to get serious tennis elbow but it spreads through my whole arm

thomas martinez
10-13-2006, 04:37 AM
Hitting up that high in the bed consistantly can and does place unnecessary torque on your arm, which is causing injury. I'd also look at your technique. What string do you normally use and how long does it last approximately? If you're playing something like a basic 16g sythetic, and getting about oh, 10 hours out of it, why not move up to a 15L or 15 gauge version of the same string(if available) or try Prince Topspin 15L, or Stamina Spin 15L for example before going down the poly route. If with that, you're only getting say, 15 hours, then move up to the polys. Look at something like Head's Ultra Tour, Klip K-Boom or the Volkl V-Rex, three polys that actually stretch when you string them. People fail to realize also that around the 30 hour mark or so, performance of string drops off in a huge way, at around 36, just cut it out.

jonolau
10-13-2006, 06:34 AM
no, my racquets are new jonolau so thats not possible, and yes they do break near the grommets, and yes i have been known to get serious tennis elbow but it spreads through my whole arm
Hi YG, thomas has voiced some of my thoughts about this. Arm pain is usually a concept of technique. Another thing that can cause it is improper racquet matching to swing style.

However looking at your feedback, can you advise whether you mishit or frame your shots often? Which grommet did it break at? It's okay to be up front about this as I frame my shots once in a while because my feet aren't as quick as they used to be and I reach the ball late or mistime my shots.

joe sch
10-13-2006, 06:50 AM
The most durable string I have played is kevlar or aramid but its very hard and damaging on the arm. Poly strings are also very durable with much more playability. I use to break strings alot more frequently when I hit with too much topspin, now I have learned to flatten out my strokes and my strings are lasting much longer and Im winning points much easier ;)

Bent
10-13-2006, 09:00 AM
I would never argue with Martinez, but saying "only" to 15 hrs. is hmm..

15 and even 10 hrs. is acceptable for many of us depending on string patterns, swing style etc.

If shearing is the problem, I have had succes with tubings in the 6 top M's in my POG's (thanks to Steve Huff).

eunjam
10-13-2006, 09:25 AM
polys have been great for me to reduce my TE. i love polys hybrided with a syn gut.

Ripper
10-13-2006, 10:13 AM
im breaking so many strings these days.:mad:

A denser string pattern could be helpful, too.

Young Gun
10-14-2006, 01:15 AM
i dont frame that many balls at all, maybe only 2-3 every training session, ie. 1.5 hours

jonolau
10-14-2006, 01:44 AM
i dont frame that many balls at all, maybe only 2-3 every training session, ie. 1.5 hours
I find that framing balls especially near the grommets will add stress on a part of the strings that are already under tremendous pressure.

It may be one of the probable causes for premature string failure.