PDA

View Full Version : In Canada - where to order from?

OverHead
10-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Does anyone know of a good place to order string (reels mostly) from in Canada?

I am afraid of getting hit with $30 duty grab at the border, negating any savings I could get from ordering from outside the country.

Thanks.

Richie Rich
10-13-2006, 03:46 AM

I am afraid of getting hit with $30 duty grab at the border, negating any savings I could get from ordering from outside the country.

Thanks.

i order from tw all the time. there is no $30 "duty grab" if you get your order shipped by USPS. just gst + pst + $5 handling fee. avoid UPS and Fedex and you will be fine

i don't think there is any place in Canada that can come close to the prices (and choices) that you can get from the US - unless you know someone who owns a tennis store that can give you a deal :cool:

Sebastien
10-13-2006, 12:25 PM

Thanks.

What are you complaining about. Even with $30 duty grab like you say the price would still be cheaper than any store located in Canada.

tennis_nerd22
10-13-2006, 12:33 PM
i order from tw all the time. there is no $30 "duty grab" if you get your order shipped by USPS. just gst + pst + $5 handling fee. avoid UPS and Fedex and you will be fine

true

i don't think there is any place in Canada that can come close to the prices (and choices) that you can get from the US - unless you know someone who owns a tennis store that can give you a deal :cool:

true

What are you complaining about. Even with $30 duty grab like you say the price would still be cheaper than any store located in Canada.

and true

the only problem i find is that when i want to try different strings or something out, its hard because then you know you'll have to get ripped buying from somewhere near you. with TW, i only make bigger orders, then it makes it even cheaper (in terms of how often you have to pay customs, shipping, etc.) if you get what i mean.

Richie Rich
10-13-2006, 03:51 PM
the only problem i find is that when i want to try different strings or something out, its hard because then you know you'll have to get ripped buying from somewhere near you.

ya, like a guy by me charging $45 for lux alu power :rolleyes:

tennis_nerd22
10-13-2006, 03:55 PM
ya, like a guy by me charging $45 for lux alu power :rolleyes:

or 90 dollars for gut ;) lol (btw ive seen $60 for lux alu and $120 for gut at Tommy and Lefevbre's in Ottawa :))

thejackal
10-13-2006, 04:05 PM
USPS is the way to go. for racquets you might find better deals in canada but strings and overgrips especially are a ripoff. $10 for 3 overgrips and $25 for 1 set of prince syngut is pretty much the standard price in montreal and eveyrwhere else i've been in canada.

boojay
10-13-2006, 04:05 PM
the sportchek here charges $40+ CDN here for Head Intellistring and $25 CDN for Rip Control when you can purchase them for like $9.50 US and $7.50 US respectively here at TW.

Richie Rich
10-13-2006, 04:51 PM
the sportchek here charges $40+ CDN here for Head Intellistring and $25 CDN for Rip Control when you can purchase them for like $9.50 US and $7.50 US respectively here at TW.
and you wouldn't want the plugs at sportcheck stringing your racquet either.

aussie
10-13-2006, 05:52 PM
I live in Australia which is a Commonwealth country like Canada (God save the Queen!!) and I've ordered many items from TW, Klipper USA, Amazon etc. I always use the US Postal system and have never been charged import duty, custom excise or GST. For example, what TW charges me in USD is then converted into AUD on my credit card + international transaction fee (1.5%).Taht is all I pay. When I do the math of converting the cost of the item plus the shipping cost from USD into AUD, I am still way better off buying racquets, reels of string and even stringing machines from the US. I'd be surprised if Canada was any different to Australia.

tennis-skater
10-13-2006, 06:27 PM
if you live near the boarder you could cross the boarder every few months and buy reels of string and everything else tennis you need and just stock up

boojay
10-13-2006, 07:05 PM
and you wouldn't want the plugs at sportcheck stringing your racquet either.

truth

tennis_nerd22
10-13-2006, 07:19 PM
if you live near the boarder you could cross the boarder every few months and buy reels of string and everything else tennis you need and just stock up

cant cuz im brown with a full beard and turbin...

tennis_nerd22
10-13-2006, 07:20 PM

lol dont forget 25 bucks for PSGD :rolleyes:

OverHead
10-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Found a few things locally that I was loooking for, and some in Canada at good prices.

You would be surprised if you look around what you can come up with.

But you guys are right, have to order from US to get a large selection.

Thanks for the tip about customs, I have always order by courier. Impatience costs I guess! I plan to order from here at TW, when I do I'll be sure to specify USPS.

Richie Rich
10-17-2006, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the tip about customs, I have always order by courier. Impatience costs I guess! I plan to order from here at TW, when I do I'll be sure to specify USPS.

if your order is under $50 the worldmail option is good too. check it out when you order.