PDA

View Full Version : Gosen Polylon SP 17 vs. Micro Syn Gut

Bmr
10-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Hey all,

Finally got a chance to hit last night with polylon sp strung on my Prince Triple Threat Ultralite.

Observations:

For heavy/spin hitters, this string is great. The ball really flies off your racquet. First thing I noticed is that my serves were going long. Ground strokes go further and with more spin. My arm also felt a little sore after awhile. I think I'm going to try a hybrid next and see if that helps any with the comfort. I can't compare this string with others, so right now I will probably stick with the Micro even if I have to string my racquet more often.

I've been using the Gamma Ruff strings on my backup racquet for over a month and those have yet to break,..seems like I have lost a bit of tension on them, but they sure do hold up well. I remember the first couple times out those strings felt pretty good. PAIN in the butt to string with them, though..

Anyone have any other suggestions for strings to try? So far between Gosen Micro and PSGD I would have to give a slight edge to the Gosen for playability.

Midlife crisis
10-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Hey all,

Finally got a chance to hit last night with polylon sp strung on my Prince Triple Threat Ultralite.

Observations:

For heavy/spin hitters, this string is great. The ball really flies off your racquet. First thing I noticed is that my serves were going long. Ground strokes go further and with more spin. My arm also felt a little sore after awhile. I think I'm going to try a hybrid next and see if that helps any with the comfort. I can't compare this string with others, so right now I will probably stick with the Micro even if I have to string my racquet more often.

I've been using the Gamma Ruff strings on my backup racquet for over a month and those have yet to break,..seems like I have lost a bit of tension on them, but they sure do hold up well. I remember the first couple times out those strings felt pretty good. PAIN in the butt to string with them, though..

Anyone have any other suggestions for strings to try? So far between Gosen Micro and PSGD I would have to give a slight edge to the Gosen for playability.

Poly strings are denser than the synthetic gut strings that you normally use, so your serves may be going long because the swingweight of your racquet is now higher. The serve/overhead is the swing with the greatest differential between racquet head speed and handle speed, so the effects will be greatest here.

Poly also changes impact feel without changing ball response as much as synthetic gut strings. If you like the other aspects that poly strings bring to your game, you could try dropping the tension a couple of pounds and see if that's better for your arm, though honestly any kind of pain like that is not a good sign.

Bmr
10-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't call it pain perse..but it just felt like the arm was working harder with those strings..and after a few hours I could see how it could get to that point. That's the reason I'm using such a light racquet, so much better on the tennis elbow..