PDA

View Full Version : wanting to change from poly to multi..

andyroddick's mojo
10-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Guys I'm sort of in a small dillemma. Right now, I'm using tecnifibre pro redcode on the mains and PSGD on the crosses. I like it a lot, mainly because it has a generous sweetspot, and is very powerful. Some dislikes are, it vibrates a little too much, and its lost a little too much tension, but I did string it kind of low, 57, so next time I'll string it higher. I want to see if switching to a multi would be better for my game. I'm a baseliner 80% of the time, and like to come into net on approach shots. I use spin, and love to have power on my racket (n6.1 95 16 x 18). What would be somethings that I'd lose, and gain? would this be a smart choice? basically I'm wondering if switching to a multi would give me more feel and power, but I don't really want to lose spin or control or tension stability.

Valjean
10-14-2006, 07:01 AM
You don't lose spin or control (except, as with everything else, through tension loss) and any *multi* tension "instability" is dwarfed by what you experience with polyester. And you don't say here whether you're considering a full multi job or just replacing the syn gut crosses.

andyroddick's mojo
10-14-2006, 01:12 PM
oh sorry, I was considering a full multi job. But I do like to have that crisp feeling when i hit my shots, not something mushy. Maybe it'd be best just for me to replace the syngut with a 16 g multi.

Valjean
10-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Wilson's Reaction and Babolat's Syntronic Brio are both firmer multis.

Midlife crisis
10-14-2006, 08:33 PM

So is the 16 gauge Dunlop Max Comfort, which is really darned cheap too and so is a good way to give it a try.

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-14-2006, 11:48 PM
So is the 16 gauge Dunlop Max Comfort, which is really darned cheap too and so is a good way to give it a try.

Dunlop Max Comfort is a really nice string, i too would recommend it

Valjean
10-15-2006, 05:38 AM
Max Comfort is cheap, but frays early and loses tension fast; it's a better choice for someone who already knows what a multi is and isn't bothered by the performance compromise it is. andyroddicksmojo doesn't fit that bill, so far as we know; Max Comfort would discourage him.

Steve Huff
10-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Laserfibre Supreme is a crisp feeling multi. You'll probably need to increase tension some if you don't want it a whole lot more powerful.

crosscourt
10-16-2006, 01:40 AM
And the Laserfibre Super Natural Pro Stock is good too. I have just put it in a PDR to test that racket and have been really impressed. As a long time NRG2 and Gamma Livewire user -- both very good multis -- I am very impressed by what the Pro Stock dies for that particular racket.

cc

Ripper
10-16-2006, 07:04 AM

Yonex 850 "Spin" is another firm multi worth considering, if coming from polys. It's gauge is 1.32 mm, but don't worry, it bites the ball fine. It has a special coating for this purpose. YONEX IS THE SPIN EXPERT. So, when they say they have engineered a product for spin, you can believe them, with your eyes closed.