PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid w Gosen micro cross

rscottdds
10-14-2006, 03:21 PM
My son wants to hybrid his Pure Drive. He usually strings a 17g full poly job (either SPP Plasma or Hurricane tour) at 58lbs. I've read where a lot of people like Gosen OG Sheep Micro as a cross. A few questions:

1) What are the advantages of using this hybrid?

2) Should he use the same gauge for the mains and x's?

3) What tension should he use (I've read where some people like to string x's lower, some the same, and some higher)?

4) Gosen has a Super and regular version of this string. Any big advantage of one or the other?

Sorry for all the questions. My son just got a new stringer and wants to experiment but would rather have at least some direction rather than trying out all the possible combinations

TripleB
10-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Just my 2 cents but:

1) cheaper and softens up the feel of the poly a little

2) I use 17g poly and 16g mains because the poly (even though it's on the mains) lasts longer than the synthetic

3) I drop my crosses by two pounds

4) I can't really tell a difference but I use the Super...because, well, it's Super

TripleB

rscottdds
10-14-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the response. What's the rational behind lowering the tension in the x's? I know most people do it that way but I've also heard a few who swear by the opposite.
-Robert

aussie
10-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the response. What's the rational behind lowering the tension in the x's? I know most people do it that way but I've also heard a few who swear by the opposite.
-Robert

Some like to tension the crosses lower because the crosses are shorter than the mains. In theory this means that if you pull the same tension on a shorter string as the longer string, the result will be a tighter string because the length is shorter.

I like to string the crosses 4 lbs more than the mains, because some say that the friction of the crosses being pulled thru the mains reduces the resultant tension of the crosses by 4 lbs. By stringing the crosses 4 lbs more, the resultant stringbed should have equally tensioned mains and crosses. So the theory goes.

Which is true? I don't know as I'm always experimenting with different strings, tensions, gauges, patterns and frames and have never really formed an accurate opinion as to which is better. But I do find that stringing the crosses 4 lbs tighter does keep the crosses from moving around as much so I stick with that.

avdiscolo
10-15-2006, 07:53 AM
I string my FXP Radical Tours with Hurricane Tour 17 at 53lbs and Gosen OG Sheep Micro 17 at 61lbs. These are the two tensions I would use with a full string job with either type of string. This hybrid feels much crisper than the full Hurricane Tour.