PDA

View Full Version : Ashaway string?

cgtennis10
10-14-2006, 05:23 PM
is Ashaway Monfire a good string? Anyone here use it? If so, how does it play? Thanks

jack mckinney
10-14-2006, 05:40 PM
i have a reel of both the 17 and 16 gauge. Both are good strings. They play fairly soft and hold up well. i use them to hybrid with as well as have strung up with a full job.

TonyB
10-14-2006, 05:41 PM
I have only used Ashaway Liberty 16, but I've found it to be a fantastic string. I think the incredibly low price scares people away and makes them think that it's a cheap, crappy string. But it's actually a very good string, easily comparable (or better) to other synthetic guts that cost 2-3 times as much.

Steve Huff
10-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Monofire feels a lot like Gosen Polylon. They are stiff polyesters, and are fairly hard on the arm if you don't drop the tension some. I think they play better when used with a synthetic in the crosses.

superstition
10-18-2006, 09:13 PM
I have a friend who always uses Ashaway string. I'm not sure what type.

SteveI
10-19-2006, 01:10 AM
Monofire feels a lot like Gosen Polylon. They are stiff polyesters, and are fairly hard on the arm if you don't drop the tension some. I think they play better when used with a synthetic in the crosses.

Steve and TonyB,

The Monofire does play much like the Gosen Polylon and the Liberty is one of the best kept secrets around (720 feet for like $24.00). Great cross string and I have even used it in full string job for some of HS kids. Has a textured finish that does also seem to help you produce a bit of spin also. Last but not least I am told they are the only USA company that manufactures many of their strings in the good old US of A. If you got a reel of each and did hybirds for yourself.. it would be quite a low cost to do each and would be about 20 string jobs out of the pair of reels with Liberty left over. Each set-up cost you about $3.00 or so. Keep the tension in the midrange on the monofire.. as Steve Huff stated.

Regards,
Steve

TonyB
10-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks for your input, Steve. As I said, I love the Liberty as far as a syn gut goes. Very playable, very cheap, but also a very good blend of power, feel and control.

What is your opinion about using the Liberty 16 in a hybrid with SPPP 17L (1.18)? Could the SPPP be too thin for that application?

SteveI
10-20-2006, 01:58 AM
Thanks for your input, Steve. As I said, I love the Liberty as far as a syn gut goes. Very playable, very cheap, but also a very good blend of power, feel and control.

What is your opinion about using the Liberty 16 in a hybrid with SPPP 17L (1.18)? Could the SPPP be too thin for that application?

Hi,

I have never used the SPPP 17L in a hybrid with Liberty 16. I have used it with Gosen Polylon 17 SP and the Ice 17 and it was a nice match for both. I do not seem to see any difference using a 16 or a 17 as a cross string when using a 17 as a main. The main factor for me is the softness of the cross string. I hope this helps.

Regards,
Steve

mctennis
10-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Steve and TonyB,

The Monofire does play much like the Gosen Polylon and the Liberty is one of the best kept secrets around (720 feet for like $24.00). Great cross string and I have even used it in full string job for some of HS kids. Has a textured finish that does also seem to help you produce a bit of spin also. Last but not least I am told they are the only USA company that manufactures many of their strings in the good old US of A. If you got a reel of each and did hybirds for yourself.. it would be quite a low cost to do each and would be about 20 string jobs out of the pair of reels with Liberty left over. Each set-up cost you about $3.00 or so. Keep the tension in the midrange on the monofire.. as Steve Huff stated.

Regards,
Steve
I agree with Steve here. One of the best kept secrets around. That and , like he said, a USA company. I think it is the only USA string company anymore.

str33t
10-27-2006, 05:57 PM
So is Liberty as soft as a multifilament or other soft strings ?

jj300
10-27-2006, 07:17 PM
I agree with Steve here. One of the best kept secrets around. That and , like he said, a USA company. I think it is the only USA string company anymore.

well only a usa company would sue other companies for using a color "light blue." I Guess the sky can't be light blue either

TonyB
10-27-2006, 08:52 PM
So is Liberty as soft as a multifilament or other soft strings ?

Yes, it's soft. But not mushy. It gives nice pop with a soft feel and good spin. Not poly-soft soft, but a comfy-soft ("gut-like") soft. If that makes any sense.

Multifilaments are a lot different. Not better, really, but just different. You get a lot of touch (and ball pocketing) with multis, but not as much feedback through the strings.

PrestigeXP
08-30-2007, 07:03 AM
I use Monofire XL strings./ They play good for me. They are a stiff string but good control on shots.