PDA

View Full Version : Racquet break down

barry
08-06-2004, 09:34 AM
I was reading the latest issue of Tennis Mag and the editors choice was the Wilson N5 98. The article is as follows:

"Today's racquets are made of billions of woven graphite fibers that have a microscopic spaces between them. In the n5, Wilson fills these gaps with silicone oxide crystals, claiming this process increase the frame's stability and power as well as ensuring that the racquet will play better, longer. We will need more time to evaluate the last assertion - IT TAKES UP TO TWO YEARS BEFORE THE FIBERS IN A TYPICAL RACQUET GO "SOFT", CAUSING A LOSS OF CONTROL AND POWER".

I have never heard of a racquet going soft, if true, I think the manufacturers should put expirations dates on the frames. Also the N5 looks just like the Traid, probably same mold.

NoBadMojo
08-06-2004, 10:31 AM
ha ha mary made a funny :)..nothing worse than a flaccid (sp?) racquet thats for sure ;) but i think frame fatigue has alot to do with how often frames get restrung. stringing stresses frames more than anything short of turning them into 'soft and broken weenies' by slamming them on the deco turf2. as to the nano stuff, having a frame built w. more integrity is something fischer and volkl have been doing for years w. their 'vacuum technic' and 'pure fibre' technologies. leave it to the americans to come up with stuff 10 years after the fact and then claim it to be revolutionary as i think about this 1959MGA Roadster I had which had front disc brakes..when do you suppose the american car companies started putting those on production cars? it's all about the marketing rather than the substance here IMO. ed

TennsDog
08-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Frames definitly do go "soft" and lose playability just as strings do. It depends on how long it takes as to how often you play and how hard you hit. Ovbiously more hitting and at higher speeds will break down the fibers more than once per week with weak strokes. Stringing does damage the frame as well, though many stringers now have plenty of support as well as new techniques to minimize these effects. I have never experience frame break-down b/c I have never had a frame for more than a year and a half, but I know it does happen. I have been recommended to replace rackets every 2-3 years from at least two separate sources.

Don S
08-06-2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks Wilson for making a racquet that we don't have to replace every 2 years. It's refreshing to know that at least one racquet company is more concerned with making a quality product that'll be around for years rather than introduce a line of frames that are promised to turn the 3.0 guy into a tournament contender only to be discontinued 6 months after hitting the shelves. Thanks for putting the customer in front of profit. Btw, the N code line has been out for about a month now, we've Demoed and bought and discussed and reviewed and tried different strings in them and now we're bored with them. What's next?

dander
08-06-2004, 09:53 PM
LOL Don, I held my breath until the end of your post waiting for the rimshot