PDA

View Full Version : SPPP snapping during stringing

jonolau
10-15-2006, 04:29 AM
Hi,

I would like to check with stringers here: how many of you have come across cases of SPPP snapping whilst stringing?

I personally had one particular frame (Volkl Tour 10 X-tended) that broke 6 half sets at the 3rd throat gormmet during stringing.

Another poster, tennis-skater, had his snap twice.

Does anyone else here have this experience with SPPP?

TonyB
10-15-2006, 04:34 AM
I had a set of 1.18 snap while stringing. No damage at any grommets, but it just snapped.

I also had a set snap after only 30 minutes of playing, right at a different grommet.

I didn't have any problems with the 1.23 diameter.

tennis-skater
10-15-2006, 04:54 AM
i was using the 1.28 but if yours snappped at the same grommet each time you might want to replace the grommets

jonolau
10-15-2006, 04:59 AM
I was stringing up a friend's brand new racquet with 1.18 SPPP. I removed the throat gromemts and studied it carefully, couldn't find any defect in the grommet strip.

tennis-skater
10-15-2006, 05:16 AM
yeah im staying away from that string. i dont think its worth hurting myself and i dont think its worth spending 50bucks trying to get it to work

RacquetDoctor
10-15-2006, 05:21 AM
I used to have this problem with this soft polys about 4 years ago. What the problem was, was that the scarring inside the string plates of the linear gripper was too aggressive for the soft polys and gut...poly polar, touch turbo, competition, VS 17g, etc would snap on roughly the third main if I didn't do one thing to protect the string. I would place a business card folded in half inside the gripper, then put the string in it...
(it was a known problem on 1st generation Sensors...I believe they made the newer ones with a less aggressive pattern on the plates)

It's simple enough to check...just look at the string after being under tension.

tennus
10-15-2006, 05:33 AM
I was stringing up a friend's brand new racquet with 1.18 SPPP. I removed the throat gromemts and studied it carefully, couldn't find any defect in the grommet strip.

Yes, I use the SPPP 1.18 for the mains but have had no trouble when stringing. I have however heard a number of stories from others about the 1.18 snapping at grommets. Perhaps it is only certain string patterns that are a problem. I string my son's rackets fairly low tension and they are an open 16x18 string pattern. For the diameter I find the SPPP very long lasting. I've also heard that some fake SPPP strings are being sold. I would only recommend you use a reputable supplier like TW. :)

tennis-skater
10-15-2006, 06:09 AM
i got mine from tw but im thinking about trying the business card trick and trying them again

iksmols
10-15-2006, 08:28 AM
What is SPPP?

MasterTS
10-15-2006, 08:32 AM
I had it snap on the mains at the grommit while stringing the crosses.. SPPP 1.18.

I switched to 17g and strung the racquet again, very carefully and it was fine. Hope it doesn't snap agian.

MasterTS
10-15-2006, 08:32 AM
yeah im staying away from that string. i dont think its worth hurting myself and i dont think its worth spending 50bucks trying to get it to work

You won't hurt yourself if the string snaps lol..

jonolau
10-15-2006, 08:50 AM
What is SPPP?
Signum Pro Poly Plasma

tennis-skater
10-15-2006, 08:53 AM
You won't hurt yourself if the string snaps lol..

haha thats what i thought but no it snapped off and hit my wrist and my wrist started bleeding and i let out a oh F@#$ it kinda felt like someone snapping a rubberband on your wrist but when your not expecting it its a bit of a shocker

jonolau
10-15-2006, 09:03 AM
haha thats what i thought but no it snapped off and hit my wrist and my wrist started bleeding and i let out a oh F@#$ it kinda felt like someone snapping a rubberband on your wrist but when your not expecting it its a bit of a shocker
Ha ha, not a very pleasant experience, I must say.

tennis-skater
10-15-2006, 09:05 AM
it scared me *****less for a couple more string jobs, what about you?

jonolau
10-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Yeah, put a bit of doubts into my head about SPPP, that's for sure. But the good thing that came out of it was that it made me realise how important it was to be careful in stringing. There's no place for complacency.

neo
10-15-2006, 01:04 PM
So why don't you guys use 1.23 gauge? Is 1.18 so much better playability wise?

tennis-skater
10-15-2006, 01:58 PM
i used 1.28 guage

jonolau
10-15-2006, 03:42 PM
So why don't you guys use 1.23 gauge? Is 1.18 so much better playability wise?
It's all a matter of personal preference on feel. 1.18 gives just that much more feel and feedback upon ball impact. However, I've yet to try the 1.23 and will be getting that next to compare.

Anyone interested to trade a set of 1.23 and/or 1.28 for my 1.18? I'd like to try them out before buying. Please email (jlau3@hotmail.com) me.

ATXtennisaddict
10-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Holy ****!!! I was stringing my racquet this morning and it was my first time using SPPP. It snapped. I was ****ed because there goes $4 (cut string set in half).

Then I come on TW and see ppl having the same experience.

jonolau
10-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Holy ****!!! I was stringing my racquet this morning and it was my first time using SPPP. It snapped. I was ****ed because there goes $4 (cut string set in half).

Then I come on TW and see ppl having the same experience.
Sorry to hear that.

I'm wondering if we should submit a petition to Signum to look into this matter. Perhaps a consolidated email will get their attention.

ryohazuki222
10-15-2006, 08:42 PM
this is interesting... my half set of sppp didn't snap when i strung it up....

i did just purchase a reel though... i'll be sure and update this again once i've used some of that string..

Jerry Seinfeld
10-16-2006, 02:56 AM
Here's the story with SPPP. It is a softer co-poly and does require some extra care while installing. In a nutshell, here's what you need to avoid.

1. Do not overtighten clamps. This will essentially crush and weaken the string.
2. Do not pre-lace mains
3. Do not pre-stretch this string
4. Pull tension slowly or use slowest setting on your electronic machine
5. Do not kink this string

I have been working with SPPP for a couple years now and have strung hundreds of racquets with it without a single set breaking prematurely. Just follow the above simple guidelines and you will be fine.

jonolau
10-16-2006, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the care instructions, Jerry.

Steve Huff
10-16-2006, 07:22 AM
I prelace the mains. I still haven't had a problem through a whole reel. I've started into my 2nd reel now.

gfdoto
10-16-2006, 08:58 AM
I prelace the mains. I still haven't had a problem through a whole reel. I've started into my 2nd reel now.
This may be a dumb question but what does it mean to prelace the mains?

progman_2000
10-16-2006, 10:54 AM
This may be a dumb question but what does it mean to prelace the mains?

Just what it sounds like - you thread the string through the mains (leaving a "loop" on the first main) before tensioning, to minimize time fishing around for the end of the string once you start tensioning. I am also on my first reel of SPPP and have been prelacing the mains and have not had any issues yet.

djones
10-17-2006, 02:59 AM
It's a well known problem with Signum strings.
As much as I liked Signum Pro Poly Megaforce, I just won't string my racquets up with it because it snapped 3 out 4 times within 1/2 hours, once within 10 minutes even.

ATXtennisaddict
10-17-2006, 06:17 AM
at least now i know. thanks.

iksmols
10-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Signum Pro Poly Plasma
Thanks!