PDA

View Full Version : I need softer arm-friendly strings

jmsx521
10-15-2006, 09:32 AM
I’ve gone through numerous tennis racket switches, and am still experimenting with softer-than-Babolat PD frames. Lately I’ve been experimenting with Fischer Pro Tour Extreme FT, Fischer Magnetic Pro #1 98 Light, Dunlop 200G XL, M-FIL 300, PK Redondo 93 and 98. I might even be willing to go back to trying the new edition Babolats with Cortex, that supposedly will be coming out next year or so. But, I’ve figured out that even if I play with arm-friendly rackets, arm-unfriendly strings still will give me golfer’s elbow (stiffness on the inner part of my flat-serving arm).

Since switching from the Babolat PD, I’ve dropped down from 62 lbs. to as low as 52 lbs. on many of the frames I mentioned.

With the Babolat PD I enjoyed playing with Luxilon XP (which was close in playability to my favorite – Ace 18, but was much more durable). And even recently I liked playing with Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 16. But now I’ve got to try something arm-friendly and start getting used to it.

Here’s what I need, listed by priorities:

1. Must not be natural gut
2. Must be under $15
3. Must be arm-friendly
4. Must be durable
5. Hopefully as playable as possible
6. Possibly be able to bite the ball well for spin and slices
7. Retain tension well like the Luxilon XP I used
8. If it feels like poly – that’s great, except it has to be arm-friendly and I don’t really know if there are arm-friendly strings that are not soft.
9. If the strings don’t move around – that would be good
10. Possibly retain its playability throughout its full life… just like the Luxilons do.

Thanks.

theace21
10-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Is gut ruled out because of the cost?

I hybrid BDE Preformance with Gosen Sheep Micro 17 - probably cost around 15 a set.

If you are trying all those options, I just wanted to know why you put no gut #1 on the list.

Good Luck, I hope you find your answer somewhere...

jmsx521
10-15-2006, 10:43 AM
If natural gut is made from animals, then that automatically rules it out for me. I'm not looking to improve my tennis in expense for the lives of animals; they are more important than tennis.

psp2
10-15-2006, 10:48 AM
If natural gut is made from animals, then that automatically rules it out for me. I'm not looking to improve my tennis in expense for the lives of animals; they are more important than tennis.

Tecnifbre Biphase is a very soft string.

Richie Rich
10-15-2006, 11:09 AM
i'm pretty sure the cows aren't killed just to get gut strings. they were going to be killed anyway. you wouldn't be contributing to a cows unnecessary demise

nalbandian_fan
10-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Tecnifbre Biphase is a very soft string.

I second that.

tennis-skater
10-15-2006, 11:13 AM
biphase is soft so i "third" that

Court_Jester
10-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Cattles are slaughtered for their meat, not for their intestinal linings to be used for tennis strings. It just so happens that other parts like their hides and intestines can also be used for other purposes.

backcourt
10-15-2006, 12:07 PM
CAnt go wrong with any of the Yonex multi's, all under $10.00; in order of crispness:

850 pro spin
Tour super 850
880 ti

My favorite is the Tour Super 850, a nice balance of cushion and power, and not overly soft. 880 is very soft and does not last as long. IF you want a crisp mulit try the pro spin, and if you want 17g in that catagory Wilson REaction fits the bill.

ryohazuki222
10-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Cattles are slaughtered for their meat, not for their intestinal linings to be used for tennis strings. It just so happens that other parts like their hides and intestines can also be used for other purposes.

My personal take on this... is just like that... The cow will be happier knowing that less of it went to waste! ... i love cows btw..

does anyone have any suggeststions on soft strings that are NOT multis?

jasonbourne
10-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Klipper Zyex is an arm-friendly multi that that is durable, has excellent tension retension, and maintains its playability until it snaps.

str33t
10-15-2006, 01:21 PM
i've heard signumpro poly plasma is a really soft poly.

jmsx521
10-15-2006, 03:31 PM
i've heard signumpro poly plasma is a really soft poly.
That orange-one, I tried the 16L and the 17 too, when I still played with the Babolat PD. I liked 16L's power and didn't think its control was much worse than the 17. The 17, if I can remember dropped some tension quicker. Both had quite even durability and lasted me as much as the Luxilon XP usually lasts for me. I thought they were very-slightly more arm-friendly than the Luxilons, but still not enough arm-friendly for me.

As far as soft polys: Luxilon Supersence and the Goosen Polylon (as per another poster) but I haven't tried both and I might try them as a last resort since they are polys and thus more prone to do arm-damage.

counterpuncher
10-15-2006, 03:58 PM
The only polys that I have tried that are softer than SPPP are Gosen Polyon SP 17 and Pro-Supex Poly Soft 1.15, which I have just started using and am liking so far.

Outside of polys, X-1 Biophase is nice, has good bite and does retain tension well, but moves around. IsoSpeed Professional is the softest string that I have ever used, retains tension (after the initial drop), has okay bite and doesn't move much, but is very springy. Yonex Tour Super 850 is probably the best compromise as it has good spin, doesn't move much and is very durable.

MTChong
10-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Give KLIP Venom a go, it's soft. Also, I preferred Klip Excellerator to Biphase.

ace of spades
10-15-2006, 04:19 PM
sorry... but...
lol

Clintspin
10-15-2006, 04:27 PM
http://www.uatennis.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=6812667.73287*kg4a72&product=Strings-PolyesterMultiSyn

jonolau
10-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Okay, that's a really complex wishlist you have. Tell you what, you have 2 choices:

1. Poly: Gosen Polylon SP (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGOSEN-POLYSP17R.html). A surprisingly soft poly that seems to last forever. Comfort level is good for a poly.

2. Multi: Alpha Gut 2000 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACALPHA-AG200016.html). Can't go wrong with this. The cheapest multi you can find. But don't let its cheap price deceive you for this plays like a really expensive string. Cheap as chips and you will not feel any pain (in the pocket) replacing these often.

jasonbourne
10-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Okay, that's a really complex wishlist you have. Tell you what, you have 2 choices:

1. Poly: Gosen Polylon SP (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGOSEN-POLYSP17R.html). A surprisingly soft poly that seems to last forever. Comfort level is good for a poly.

2. Multi: Alpha Gut 2000 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACALPHA-AG200016.html). Can't go wrong with this. The cheapest multi you can find. But don't let its cheap price deceive you for this plays like a really expensive string. Cheap as chips and you will not feel any pain (in the pocket) replacing these often.

I agree with what is mentioned about alpha gut 2000.

I would also add it is *not* durable and would not speak highly of its tension maintenance ability.

Nadal46
10-16-2006, 04:28 AM
Try babolat powergy...

theace21
10-16-2006, 06:37 AM
I like the Alpha Gut 2000 suggestion. Great string for the price...

jonolau
10-16-2006, 06:45 AM
I would also add it is *not* durable and would not speak highly of its tension maintenance ability.
I do agree to a certain extent. But for a multi, one can't really expect much in terms of durability.

Rabbit
10-16-2006, 07:15 AM
Given the parameters you've set forth, Alpha Gut 2000 is the only choice. Just be advised that durability is on par with price.

Wldarsp
10-16-2006, 07:33 AM

I totally agree. Babolat only uses gut from Cows that were killed alive!
Terrible!

jmsx521
10-16-2006, 08:23 AM
http://www.uatennis.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=6812667.73287*kg4a72&product=Strings-PolyesterMultiSynThat's only $3.99! Any opinions on that string?

Rabbit
10-16-2006, 09:14 AM
I totally agree. Babolat kills uses gut only from Cows that were killed alive!
That's terrible.

So neither of you wear leather shoes or belts?

Kevo
10-16-2006, 01:39 PM
I totally agree. Babolat kills uses gut only from Cows that were killed alive!
That's terrible.

What cows have you seen that were killed after they were dead? ;-)

flemby2112
10-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Klip Venom 17 is the softest multi I have used

ch4ng
10-16-2006, 02:36 PM
iso-speed control or professional...very soft and i think its a good price.

Wondertoy
10-16-2006, 04:01 PM
The most arm friendly poly out there is PolyStar Energy. Very comfortable and more pop than ALU.

Wldarsp
10-17-2006, 07:08 AM
So neither of you wear leather shoes or belts?

What cows have you seen that were killed after they were dead? ;-)

Rabbit, Nope. Only Pleather from cows that we harvested dead. That is the only humane treatment for spiritual being. That's probably why you are a 3.5 and I'm a 5.5. Keep working on your backhand.

BabolatFan
10-17-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm considering Klip venom and Prince premier softflex. I'm testing the softflex nextweek. The price is reasonable too.

jmsx521
10-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Klipper Zyex is an arm-friendly multi that that is durable, has excellent tension retension, and maintains its playability until it snaps. Klipper Zyex is not sold here? Pro-Supex Poly Soft 1.15 as well?

Rabbit
10-20-2006, 03:59 AM
Rabbit, Nope. Only Pleather from cows that we harvested dead. That is the only humane treatment for spiritual being. That's probably why you are a 3.5 and I'm a 5.5. Keep working on your backhand.

Sorry, I'm a 4.5 who eats meat and wears leather.

Are you by any chance a self-rated 5.5?

And I thought pleather was plastic leather. Aside from that, you harvest your own from cows you find who died of natural causes?

jasonbourne
10-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Klipper Zyex is not sold here? Pro-Supex Poly Soft 1.15 as well?

zyex sold at k l i p p e r u s a

poly soft sold at s t r i n g s d e p o t p l u s