PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in KONA site of mens 4.5 and 4.0 championships

Dunlop300
10-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Do you think the USTA will cancel or reschedule the mens 4.0 National team championships in Kona? Earthquake of 6.6 registered there this morning right during the start of the mens 4.5 national championship final rounds.

LN_Dad
10-15-2006, 08:33 PM
When's the tournament?

Dunlop300
10-16-2006, 06:28 AM
October 27-29th

LN_Dad
10-16-2006, 07:47 AM
My guess is things will be back to normal again at the end of the month. Looks like they're getting a lot of rain right now too. That would be a real bummer if the matches get rained out.

Geezer Guy
10-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Hmmm. Do you play a let if there's an earthquake during a point, or do you just play on? Seems like it would be the same conditions for both sides, so no advantage either way. You don't play a let if there's a gust of wind during a point.

Geezer Guy
10-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Do you think the USTA will cancel or reschedule the mens 4.0 National team championships in Kona? Earthquake of 6.6 registered there this morning right during the start of the mens 4.5 national championship final rounds.

When's the tournament?

October 27-29th

Am I the only one confused by this exchange?

Dunlop300
10-16-2006, 12:16 PM
The mens and womens 4.5 championships were held there the weekend of the earthquake. The men's and womens 4.0 will be held there the weekend of October 27-29. What cant you understand about that?

LN_Dad
10-16-2006, 12:36 PM
The mens and womens 4.5 championships were held there the weekend of the earthquake. The men's and womens 4.0 will be held there the weekend of October 27-29. What cant you understand about that?
Is there a 5.0 tournament too or only 4.0 and 4.5?

Dunlop300
10-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Yes- there are National championships for most NTRP team levels. They are at various locations throughout the US. The 4.0 and 4.5's were the only divisions scheduled in Kona. As ridiculus a place as it is the USTA put it there. So stupid and costly for all players for a weekend of tennis.

Geezer Guy
10-17-2006, 07:18 AM

I'm an idiot - thank you very much.

(The "4.5" and "4.0" difference didn't register.)

Jack the Hack
10-17-2006, 08:05 AM
Hmmm. Do you play a let if there's an earthquake during a point, or do you just play on? Seems like it would be the same conditions for both sides, so no advantage either way. You don't play a let if there's a gust of wind during a point.

Back in the early 90s, I was teaching tennis at a summer camp in southern California when we had a 6.0+ earthquake. When it started shaking, you could actually see the vibration ripple across the court. It's nothing like you see in the movies though... just a gentle rocking that you wouldn't necessarily notice if things weren't falling down around you. On that note, an outdoor tennis court might be the safest place to be in an earthquake as there isn't much that can fall on you. I would bet that if the quake didn't last long and two competitors were in a heated point, they might not notice it happening. However, if they did, it would be a good time for a let.

As to the OP's question, I doubt that the USTA would cancel the matches because of the quake. In the one that I was in, the parents of kids who were from other parts of the country were calling in a panic because CNN was showing fires, broken windows, cracked buildings, and damaged overpasses as a result of the trembler. However, from what we could see, there was no visible damage anywhere near us - and we were only a few miles from the epicenter. Any damage you see on the news in Hawaii will be the worst of it, and I bet 99.99% of the rest of the islands are just fine.

LuckyR
10-17-2006, 12:22 PM

We go to Kona ever winter to play tennis and I once called a let because a wave broke over a 2 story condo. (It rarely rain in Kona so they don't have gutters on the buildings so the water cascaded down in a waterfall effect, the surf was very high that trip).

eagle
10-17-2006, 02:07 PM
Hi,

I don't forsee the tourney getting cancelled.

The media makes it worse than it really is.

Life is back to normal for most on the island.

Thanks,
eagle

LuckyR
10-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Hey eagle,

Is the Keauhou Surf and Racquet Club condos OK?

Thanks.

eagle
10-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Hi Lucky,

Yep. Keahou Surf/Island Slice is fine.

r,
eagle

LuckyR
10-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks, brah...

eagle
10-19-2006, 06:11 AM