PDA

View Full Version : What is the magic tension / string for Pro Staff Tour 90 ?

Hicham
10-16-2006, 06:54 AM
Hello,

I'm just wondering what is the "magic" string and tension for the Pro Staff Tour 90.

I have it strung with Alu power @ 55 lbs (25 kg) and I find it too harsh....

I know that 55 lbs is the magic number for the PC600 for example regardless of the string type.....

Any such setup exist for the PS TOur 90 as well ?

How well does it fare with all gut setup ? does it play well with hybrid (gut / alu) ?

Thanks for your feedback.

psp2
10-16-2006, 09:05 AM
There really is no magic number for ANY racquet. It all depends on the users preference.

BTW, mine is strung with VS 16g M/BB Ace 18g @ 45/50 pounds.

Rabbit
10-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Natural gut, 16 gauge at 58 pounds.

alan-n
10-16-2006, 08:25 PM
If you find polys too harsh in a tour 90, don't ever use a full poly setup. Poly only in the crosses or no poly at all. I recommend using softer strings such as NRG2 at lower tension ranges (48-54#) to start off with and slowly increase tension your next string job if you feel it is a bit too low. If you can afford gut and don't break strings, go for it. The Tour 90 is a low powered racquet already, low tensions with it works very nice on volleys and keeping the ball deep on baseline rallies without having to take your fastest swings all the time.

onehandbh
10-16-2006, 09:07 PM
I strung mine the same as my PS 85:

60 lbs main gosen poly comfort
62 lbs cross gosen OG sheep 17g.

Hicham
10-18-2006, 05:37 AM
I'm a bit leaning towards a hybrid with gut in mains and poly in crosses (gut & alu).

Tension-wise, I'm thinking maybe 58 in the mains and 53 in the crosses.

What do you guys think ?

alan-n
10-18-2006, 05:49 AM
You'd be amazed at how little a difference 5 lbs of tension really makes. The only place on the court I notice a difference between a few lbs of tension is at the net and when hitting serves.... and even then, I'd have to play with one racquet and immediately pick up another to know the difference as usually you automatically adjust to how everything plays during warm ups unless you're still learning how to control the ball.

I don't know the science as to why anyone would string natural gut at a higher tension considering that poly's lose tension a bit faster, though you hardly notice since it also loses its playability slightly to compensate.

Hey what ever you think works for you. Some days you may feel you should have strung it higher, some days lower. Then some day you will not care anymore and make the correct adjustments to control your ball. Just follow the rule of thumb, string it at the lowest tension ranges you can control.

Hicham
10-18-2006, 05:54 AM
Thanks Alan for your quick feedback.

I'm really decided to put the 5 lbs difference in the mains vs. crosses tensions.

You seem to appreciate low tensions for gut. What do you think about really low tensions like 44 & 40 lbs ?

alan-n
10-18-2006, 06:03 AM
Thanks Alan for your quick feedback.

I'm really decided to put the 5 lbs difference in the mains vs. crosses tensions.

You seem to appreciate low tensions for gut. What do you think about really low tensions like 44 & 40 lbs ?

The problem with stringing a mid sized racquet at 45 lbs or less is that it losses tension and you'll end up in the high 30s. Tennis strings do have their own "sweet spot" when it comes to tension ranges... To low a tension range and you can lose too much directional control, too high a tension range and you lose pocketing on the ball and spin potential.

Too many variable change day in and day out. Sunny, not sunny, humid, not humid. Penn balls, Dunlop Balls, a few day old balls. Racquet tension is one of the last things to be thinking about.

Hicham
10-18-2006, 06:11 AM
OK Alan. I'm going to try the 54/48 combo on the PS Tour 90 with gut in mains and alu in crosses and I'll let you know.

Today my main stick is the PC600 with full gut at 48 lbs. I added 12 grams of lead total at 3 and 9 o'clock positions and it's great. I'm still trying to find more lead because my target is 18 grams per side (36 grams total). It really plays great....and the feeling is incomparable....

Steve Huff
10-18-2006, 10:36 PM
After a long conversation with this magician friend of mine, he took out his magic tophat, reached in, and pulled out an ace of diamonds. On it was written 58#, natural gut/soft syn hybrid. Now we know the magic string combo.

alan-n
10-19-2006, 04:59 AM
After a long conversation with this magician friend of mine, he took out his magic tophat, reached in, and pulled out an ace of diamonds. On it was written 58#, natural gut/soft syn hybrid. Now we know the magic string combo.

Thats right, and in that magical world the strings adjusted its tension, playability and even corrected all of your own errors so you can hit the ball like Roger Federer.