PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Luxilon - Easier than other polys. Why?

Caswell
10-16-2006, 07:14 AM
I've strung Babolat Pro Hurricane 18g and Technifibre Spinfire 18g in my Klippermate. Both were less than fun - lots of coil memory and not a lot of elasticity when dropping the wieght.

I wasn't happy about having to string a racquet late last night, but I'm going out of town on business for the week and playing a tournament the day I get back, so it was either do it or gamble that I don't snap the string in my other racquet.

I was very happy to find that the Luxilon Big Banger Ace 18 I was using didn't have nearly the amount of coil memory as the other two, and the string itself seemed to have a bit of elasticity. I thought maybe my clamps were slipping, especially given that the Ace is a bit thinner than the other two I used. Kept an eye on the clamps, and didn't notice any slipping.

What's different about the Ace from a construction standpoint? Seems like I could expect some more playability out of the string given it's behavior going into the racquet.

FWIW, they're all strung as mains @ 54lbs w/ Gosen OG Micro 17 crosses at 60lbs.

Ripper
10-16-2006, 07:31 AM
I've strung Babolat Pro Hurricane 18g and Technifibre Spinfire 18g in my Klippermate. Both were less than fun - lots of coil memory and not a lot of elasticity when dropping the wieght.

I wasn't happy about having to string a racquet late last night, but I'm going out of town on business for the week and playing a tournament the day I get back, so it was either do it or gamble that I don't snap the string in my other racquet.

I was very happy to find that the Luxilon Big Banger Ace 18 I was using didn't have nearly the amount of coil memory as the other two, and the string itself seemed to have a bit of elasticity. I thought maybe my clamps were slipping, especially given that the Ace is a bit thinner than the other two I used. Kept an eye on the clamps, and didn't notice any slipping.

What's different about the Ace from a construction standpoint? Seems like I could expect some more playability out of the string given it's behavior going into the racquet.

FWIW, they're all strung as mains @ 54lbs w/ Gosen OG Micro 17 crosses at 60lbs.

Well, Luxilon is #1 in the world of polys, for a reason. And it can't be just good marketing.

MasterTS
10-16-2006, 07:33 AM
The only Polys I find difficult to string are thick ones.. 16 and 15g polies.. Everything else is pretty easy, sometimes easier then soft strings.

Greg Raven
10-16-2006, 06:22 PM
A lot of polys are polyesters. Luxilons are PEEKs (polyetheretherketone, IIRC). For what it's worth, though, I'd much rather string Babolat Pro Hurricane or even Pro Hurricane Tour than Luxilon Alu Power.

Ripper
10-17-2006, 09:39 AM
A lot of polys are polyesters. Luxilons are PEEKs (polyetheretherketone, IIRC).

WTF? Ok, that's more than I want to know :)

neo
10-17-2006, 12:06 PM
A lot of polys are polyesters.

No! Really?

diredesire
10-17-2006, 02:45 PM
I think luxilon is one of the less-fun to string, most all of them are a bit sticky, and suck to weave. I prefer the smoother polys like the hurricane... I think lux holds it's shape more too. Maybe because i strung both from a reel, i imagine in a set this might be different...

fishuuuuu
10-17-2006, 02:49 PM
No! Really?

Watch it Rookie, GR is a world-renowned stringer, why don't you read into a bit more, instead of throwing down little quips?

Polyester strings don't really bug me except when I manage to poke myself with a sharpened end :)

eunjam
10-17-2006, 03:46 PM
i second that fishuuu.

i'm a rookie myself in this forum....longtime lurker.

but i hate it when people mouth off without knowing the history of a certain member.

faux pas.

MTChong
10-17-2006, 06:07 PM
No! Really?

Yes, really. If you don't understand, let me enlighten you.

We use the term, "poly," very generically to refer to anything containing polyester or made wholly out of it. However, newer gen "polys" or what should be called "co-polys" are blended with other materials. One such example of a co-poly is a PEEK string.

So please... think a little about it first.

neo
10-18-2006, 12:43 AM
Yes, really. If you don't understand, let me enlighten you.

We use the term, "poly," very generically to refer to anything containing polyester or made wholly out of it. However, newer gen "polys" or what should be called "co-polys" are blended with other materials. One such example of a co-poly is a PEEK string.

So please... think a little about it first.

What is it in your opinion that I don't understand? That term poly is used as short for polyester and therefore statement A lot of polys are polyesters is senseless? I, by the way, just made a little joke about it, nothing else. So before starting a flame war, why don't YOU think a little about it first.

neo
10-18-2006, 12:47 AM
Watch it Rookie, GR is a world-renowned stringer, why don't you read into a bit more, instead of throwing down little quips?
Why don't you keep your instructions to yourself?

alan-n
10-18-2006, 05:29 AM
Why don't you keep your instructions to yourself?

With that attitude, easy to see why you don't understand Greg's statement. Not all "poly" are polyester strings. Luxilon ALU for example even though it physically looks and feels like one.

neo
10-18-2006, 06:53 AM
With that attitude, easy to see why you don't understand Greg's statement. Not all "poly" are polyester strings. Luxilon ALU for example even though it physically looks and feels like one.

The term poly is used as short for polyester in this forum. I can't believe someone has trouble with the concept.

I understand perfectly what Greg MEANT to say. I also understand what he SAID. And what he SAID sounded funny. Ah, forget it...

fishuuuuu
10-18-2006, 07:12 AM
The term poly is used as short for polyester in this forum. I can't believe someone has trouble with the concept.

I understand perfectly what Greg MEANT to say. I also understand what he SAID. And what he SAID sounded funny. Ah, forget it...

Actually poly (usually referred to as a prefix meaning many) in real life applications refers to polymers, which after undergoing polymerization (and depending on the actual combination of individual monomers) may or may not result in the synthesis of polyester or otherwise co-polyester, or even other compounds. A polyester then, is a group of condensed polymers, with the ester functional group as their main chain. (Not all polys are polyester, duh!)

School's ou

neo
10-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Actually poly (usually referred to as a prefix meaning many) in real life applications refers to polymers, which after undergoing polymerization (and depending on the actual combination of individual monomers) may or may not result in the synthesis of polyester or otherwise co-polyester, or even other compounds. A polyester then, is a group of condensed polymers, with the ester functional group as their main chain. (Not all polys are polyester, duh!)

School's ou

In "real life" there is no word "poly". As you said, "poly" is a prefix meaning many. In this forum however, "poly" is used as short for polyester. Or do you mean to tell me it is used here as short for polymer?

alan-n
10-18-2006, 08:23 AM
"Poly" in this forum is used for any string stiff string that has coil memory. Be it polyester or PEEK.

MTChong
10-18-2006, 09:17 AM
In "real life" there is no word "poly". As you said, "poly" is a prefix meaning many. In this forum however, "poly" is used as short for polyester. Or do you mean to tell me it is used here as short for polymer?

In this forum, poly is used as alan-n referred to it right above this post.

And furthermore, poly does mean many, at least you got that right. Your flaw in logic comes from thinking that we use the term as it is meant in the prefix form; we use it to be short for polyester, which, as I explained, is now a generic term for all polyesters, copolyesters, etc.

neo
10-19-2006, 03:39 AM
we use it to be short for polyester...
Which is exactly what I said.

And that is why statement "A lot of polys are polyesters" sounded funny. Get it yet?

neo
10-19-2006, 03:43 AM
"Poly" in this forum is used for any string stiff string that has coil memory. Be it polyester or PEEK.

This is very nice of you to provide your own definition, but of the hundreds of times I have seen the word poly used on this forum it was freely interchanged with the word polyester and was clearly meant as short for polyester.

alan-n
10-19-2006, 05:02 AM
This is very nice of you to provide your own definition, but of the hundreds of times I have seen the word poly used on this forum it was freely interchanged with the word polyester and was clearly meant as short for polyester.

Funny how you say that and other members not only disagree with your definition, but corrected it. You just like arguing for the sake of arguing without a point. I'll leave it at that.

diredesire
10-19-2006, 08:53 AM

I agree, "poly" is in general short for "polyester." The only caveat here is that most posters and people use "polyester" strings or "poly" strings as a generalization for all "poly" type strings. People would categorize co-polys and/or lux style strings as polyester strings. No need for a semantic argument here, poly = poly = poly. We all know what we mean.

neo
10-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Funny how you say that and other members not only disagree with your definition, but corrected it. You just like arguing for the sake of arguing without a point. I'll leave it at that.

You have nothing to say on the subject so you decide to talk about the opponent? Next time when you don't have a point, just don't start to argue, would be much easier. Try it sometime.

neo
10-19-2006, 11:18 AM
I agree, "poly" is in general short for "polyester." The only caveat here is that most posters and people use "polyester" strings or "poly" strings as a generalization for all "poly" type strings. People would categorize co-polys and/or lux style strings as polyester strings. No need for a semantic argument here, poly = poly = poly. We all know what we mean.

Yes, this is exactly what I said. And since "poly" is used as short for polyester I thought statement "A lot of polys are polyesters" sounded funny (regardless of what polyester stands for). And I made a little joke about it. That's when vultures attacked...

alan-n
10-19-2006, 11:31 AM
You have nothing to say on the subject so you decide to talk about the opponent? Next time when you don't have a point, just don't start to argue, would be much easier. Try it sometime.

Try heading your advice sometime. Your smart *** comments about not all polys being polyesters weren't even on topic to begin with. Next time when you decide to comment about others keeping on topic with the original poster, try doing so yourself to begin with without being a smart ***, maybe the forum won't call you out. Try that sometime.

And BTW people in this forum still refer to co-polyesters, PEEK, polyesters all as "polys" no matter what you think or mostly not think.

neo
10-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Try heading your advice sometime. Your smart *** comments about not all polys being polyesters weren't even on topic to begin with. Next time when you decide to comment about others keeping on topic with the original poster, try doing so yourself to begin with without being a smart ***, maybe the forum won't call you out. Try that sometime.

And BTW people in this forum still refer to co-polyesters, PEEK, polyesters all as "polys" no matter what you think or mostly not think.
I made a little joke. YOU started the pointless argument. Really enjoying yourself, aren't you?